• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Samhain Publishing

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Answer: it depends on the small press and the editor/agent. Generally publishing with a small press is because it is the best or only choice for that manuscript. What you do with the next one is a different issue.

Sonarbabe

Working In A Coal Mine...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
Good luck, Christine!!! I would love to open a bottle of bubbly with my AW buddy, so I hope they accept you!!

Unimportant:

A credential from a publisher, small or not, is a credential if they are legitimate. The main focus, however, is always on the story you are trying to sell. You could publish a dozen books from Random House, but if the story you're trying to get agented or published isn't any good, you will still get a "Not right for us" rejection. As Miss Snark always says, "Good writing always triumphs."

KAugusto

cutting...

JAK,
You have the honor of giving me TWO reasons for nightmares. First, your cover images is horrifying (though well done). Second, you cut 10,000 words?!?!?! My original manuscript was 110K. I got it down to 104K and I just know my editor is going to want to get it to under 100K. I've been sweating over the idea of cutting 5K. If I have to cut 10K, I'll lose sleep for months. Cutting is brutal. Thanks for posting that you can do it and still survive!

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, all.

Per the publisher, Samhain does not pay the fee or arrange to register the copyright for the author; that's left for the author to arrange and pay for.

Is this standard for e-presses? It's not standard for the small print presses I've dealt with.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It is standard for epresses. Nor is it a given that the author (especially if s/he is not an American) will register a copyright in the US.

Whiskpy Creek are a respectable publisher but I do wish they would stop charging is this fee. It just crosses the line IMHO, and is clearly different from the approach most epresses take.

On a Samhain-related note, I got my $100 advance and I am please to say my royalties covered it (and a bit more) within six days.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, but you're *Veinglory*. I'm just an Unimportant nobody :)

Robyn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rgporter.net
Wow Whisky charges for making your book into a print copy? Ugh. I'm happy my publisher is doing both E-Book and Print on mine with no charges.

Josie

Registered
Reaction score
Wonderful for you, Veinglory, Three Cheers :)

You are an accomplished writer and I'd expect you'll be getting quite a bit more in royalties.

I'm still working on my editing for a submission to Samhain...but also have another project.

Certainly keeps me out of most trouble :) hee hee

Cheers, Josie

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
All I've accomplished is some writing, the rest is pretty much down to luck and choosing a legit publisher :) -- p.s. Samhain authors should look at joining their new yahoogroup abou promoting books. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SPALoop

That's now on my fingers-crossed-maybe-this-is-it list. (Waiting to hear:popcorn: back from Samhain.)

Robyn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rgporter.net
Ya, this publisher is definately on my highend list. I've been tempted to send my current WIP to them when done but I've opted to try the agent route again. (going to be a glutton for punishment i know)

chibeth

Registered
Reaction score
Samhain is now an RWA recognized publisher. Just thought you all would like to know.:)

Josie

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up, Sonarbee.

The project I was going to submit is too long for any anthology, so I'll go to other publishers, small publishers perhaps.

In the meantime, I must say "wow" for Samhain Publishing being on the list of RWA. Must be pulling in the dough!!

:hat: My hat is off to you, Veinglory :) you're in!!!

Cheers, Jose

Glenda

Registered
Reaction score
I got my rejection letter today from Samhain. They did say they liked everything about my novel, except the technical issues. Could anybody tell me about this? Or where I can read up on it more and learn more about technical issues in writing. Thanks.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I got my rejection letter today from Samhain. They did say they liked everything about my novel, except the technical issues. Could anybody tell me about this? Or where I can read up on it more and learn more about technical issues in writing. Thanks.

Depends on what you need. For example, I needed medieval tinker how-to. I searched Yahoo Groups and found a group of pros in England who do that--like Civil war reenactors in the states. They were wonderful.

(Still waiting to hear from Samhain--it's been just short of 4 weeks.)

Glenda

Registered
Reaction score
Depends on what you need. For example, I needed medieval tinker how-to. I searched Yahoo Groups and found a group of pros in England who do that--like Civil war reenactors in the states. They were wonderful.

(Still waiting to hear from Samhain--it's been just short of 4 weeks.)

Thanks and good luck.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Or they could mean technical writing issues. Maybe the way the storyline went together, like the story mechanics?

They just said 'technical' without a qualifier? That could be several things. Not knowing what your submission is about I can't say for sure.