Disaster In My Region: AW Check In Thread (Tornadoes, Floods)

TheCuriousOne

Registered
Reaction score
As a French, but that doesn't in any way restrict the experience to us with ties to France, as I'm sure others from everywhere in the world have felt the same, it's been such an emotional day. I came home to the sad news, but there wasn't much information about at the time. Then I had to work and was away from the internet. When I came back, my Facebook feed, filled by family members, people from all over the world, and artists, was mostly made of messages supporting the "I am Charlie" campaign. There was solidarity everywhere (I purposedly avoided reading what the trolls had to say, because I needed something positive to hold on to, if you see what I mean). And it's so heart-warming. It's a real beacon of hope, as in any tragic event. People pull together, no matter who they are, where they come from, or who they believe in. I have never picked up an issue of Charlie Hebdo, and the only person I knew of who was killed was Cabu, because he used to be one of the presenters on a TV program I used to watch as a kid (and he seemed a funny, nice guy from what I remember). I hope that the outpouring of support somewhat helps the families and friends of those who were killed or injured in the attack. I know it's been a balm to my heart. You see so much nasty stuff going around, it's good to see the light shine through, even though things shouldn't have to be this way in the first place. Today, we were all Charlie. And Charlie was one.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do you know anyone involved?

No-one who worked there or was related. But I had an email today from a friend from the village I lived in, that said twelve killed, 66 million wounded. I think that is pretty telling. Breaks my heart.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Not just 66 million wounded. Make that 5-6 billion.

But as The Curious One says, disaster and tragedy on this order also always seem to pull people together.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

StarryEyes

Registered
Reaction score
Prayers to all involved.

I feel so bad right now. I grew up in Geneva, Switzerland which is right on the border with France and has a lot of ties with France. Everyone back there is devastated. Meanwhile, I'm on the other side of the world and I want to be with them so badly.

Can't even imagine what it must be like for people closer to the tragedy.

TeamWingless

Years to build and moments to ruin
Registered
Reaction score
Well we just had Snowstorm Juno over here in NYC. Honestly, I feel like everyone's freaking out over nothing. We got a lot of snow, but the subways shutting down unexpectedly was the most annoying part of it. I'm glad no one was hurt as far as I know, but my Samoyed is loving the winter now (blends right in) :)

TeamWingless

Years to build and moments to ruin
Registered
Reaction score
I honestly can't say, luckily I wasn't in New York for Sandy but I do know that people are very disaster-conscientious here now. I've met people who lost their businesses and livelihoods because of it, so I guess you don't really come back from that as a culture (and New York DEFINITELY has its own culture separate from the rest of the U.S.). The snow is pretty much melted and everything's more or less back to normal now, so far it's been an unusually warm winter :/

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Do you think it's cos of what happened in Superstorm Sandy?

Not that you were asking me, but - no.

The 'let's shut down everything preemptively even if the forecast is iffy' crap started with the teeny tiny fascist mayor, who did it for Irene, when like, nothing happened to the city.

Then Cuomo did it for Sandy, before shorty had a chance, iirc, and stuff obviously did happen, though that forecast was not in doubt.

Now, tall and dopey has taken it to new levels of idiocy, suspending underground train service in case of snow.

Just btw, that had not happened in the 120 or so years of the existence of the system before last week, shutting it for snow. Sometimes the above-ground sections can have trouble in heavy snow, obviously, and there's random 'snow killed switch whatever,' though like all train lines that run above ground there are systems in place for that, including keeping the trains running to keep the tracks clear. Underground? ...

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Well, that's why I asked really. It does sound odd to close an underground system for snow so I wondered if they were expecting flooding for some reason.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Well, that's why I asked really. It does sound odd to close an underground system for snow so I wondered if they were expecting flooding for some reason.

Nope. There wasn't a storm surge danger here with last week's storm. That was the primary justification for closing it for Irene and Sandy - worry about a storm surge spilling over the lower end of the island and flooding into train tunnels, which did happen in Sandy. There are some sections that took a year or so to be repaired from the flood into the tunnels (the salt in the water wreaked havoc with the electrical crap and the metal).

There are areas where snow can fall onto the underground stations, from street grates above, but, again, in 120 or so years, it's not caused any kind of disaster, and it does snow. Rain falls onto tracks and stuff the same way and that does cause issues sometimes in giant storms, but just sporadic ones.

I took the train in one of the top few blizzards, around two feet of snow on the ground. It was fine. I remember a big rain-based nor'easter that basically shut the trains by itself once, in the middle of the day. Water was just pouring in to the system through rain going through the grates and stuff, no storm surge or anything, and it kept flooding tracks and shorting switches and it all got so bogged down they just said fuck it for a few hours and stopped everything until they could regroup, but it was just sorting stuff out and pumping out tracks and stuff that do get rain, so have equipment. Surges of seawater was a whole different beast (there are videos on youtube of some of the stations flooding during Sandy - it's remarkable. I think Bowling Green took a big hit, I know South Ferry did, others), but big rain happens off and on.

LA*78

Registered
Reaction score
Fellow Qlders and northern NSWers (I know there are a couple of us on here), stay safe, stay dry and remember if it's flooded - forget it! In the meantime, enjoy NASA's photo of TC Marcia.
10982078_10152711993847358_3137459148229350345_n_zpspt3y1tjf.jpg

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Has any one heard from OFG, or the other OK/KS/north TX people? I'm pretty sure shakeysix is all right. I have a friend who lives like 15 miles away, and I would have heard about tornadoes in the St John area.

MM

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A lot of Texas and Oklahoma has been hit with thunderstorms, tornadoes and flooding. I'm currently visiting my co-writer in Houston. Just letting my friends here know that although parts of Houston got flooded, I'm dry and ok. :)

To the other AWers who live in these areas, stay safe.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Stay safe, Sami. :Hug2:

I was awakened by another alert for flash flooding on my phone in the early morning hours. Thunderstorms again here. *sigh*

Laura S

I hear make-believe people!
Registered
Reaction score
For all getting the nasty and dangerous weather, stay safe!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd appreciate the Texans checking in--many of you, I only know the state, not what part.

Maryn, natural born worrier

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
No tornadoes here, in St. John. We are on yellow alert today and it is clouding up right now for another rain storm. Dodge City did have a close call the other night. I have a 75 year old friend who had to take shelter in her daughter's basement the other night, with her 62 year old boyfriend. They had to run through a hail storm and freezing rain to get to the basement. Daughter was not home so they had a little frolic on the roll out sofa in the basement before their arthritis kicked in and rusted them up. I'd rather face a horizon of galloping F-5s than hear THAT story again! --s6