Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
I want to cry and dance at the same time...just from these notes. So freaking brutal. O_O But awesome. So needed. Such a wake up call, you know? But at the same time, it's gonna be so much work and hello 5 more months of R+R. Unless.....can you go beyond yearly R+R period? Hm...

ohthatmomagain

writing, working, weeping, winning
Registered
Reaction score
I want to join old people writing for teens :) I'm old... and I write for teens. I have 2 books coming out (one in Oct. 2012 and one Feb. 2013). Both YA (both Christian/Inspirational).

Good to be here. :)

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Hello and welcome, Kelly.

I feel like I spend barely any time writing and tons of time revising. I suppose that is ok, because it gives my ideas for novels I haven't yet written time to grow.

My oldest son and I were in a book club together, then he decided he was too cool for a book club. The club was small, just four families. They wanted to stay together, so they encouraged me to come without the kid. I find the feedback from the kids invaluable. They talk about what they like and don't like in the books they read. I feel like this is a goldmine for an author like me...a straight line into the minds of readers. Awesome.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I want to join old people writing for teens :) I'm old... and I write for teens. I have 2 books coming out (one in Oct. 2012 and one Feb. 2013). Both YA (both Christian/Inspirational).

Cogratz and welcome to the thread! :hi:

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Had to do a double take after seeing the name Kelly. That's my name, too :) Welcome!

I've made it to my weekend! Which means all of your weekends are just around the corner. yay! Unfortunately, my husband is busy with work and I am all alone....just me and my bottle of booze ;)

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
So is Kewii like the Elmer Fudd pronunciation of Kelly? LOL

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Haha.

In high school, someone decided my nickname should be Kiwi and my best friend decided to morph the spelling into Kewii. It stuck with me over the last 15 years (holy crap that's a long time).

Emmet Cameron

Registered
Reaction score
*Hope that answers your question and gives you some encouragement, cause ya never know what might happen :)

That is encouraging. I think I might consult with some betas on whether they think it's worth querying, query it if they do, shelve it if they don't, and either way, move onto working on the next one in earnest.

I think part of my nerves about moving on are that I initially wrote the first book in installments on figment.com, and it found a small but enthusiastic audience there because at that time it was a pretty small site with a well-connected queer community all up in each other's work, and it was essentially a coming out narrative. I'm really excited about the next project, but it's less clear to me who else might be...

Anyway. Thank you, parumpdragon, and hi Kelly! I'm new too. And my aforementioned first book is also Christian/Inspirational, if Christian/Inspirational can have lesbian makeouts in it...

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Glad it was ;). Yeah, I would consult a few betas, either here or in other writing communities. Then figure out what you are going to do with the work.

Lots of luck to you :)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I want to cry and dance at the same time...just from these notes. So freaking brutal. O_O But awesome. So needed. Such a wake up call, you know? But at the same time, it's gonna be so much work and hello 5 more months of R+R. Unless.....can you go beyond yearly R+R period? Hm...
You can, but most people say it's best not to. I had that consideration for Fireflies, but in that case, a) my revision wasn't working out and b) I spent several months not working on it because I didn't agree with the suggestion (which was mostly to make it YA). So in the end, I let it go until the AW anthology, when I changed it into a lovely short story that kept everything I loved and cut all the problematic parts.

:welcome: Kelly (man, I really tried to come up with a cool nickname from your username)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Emmet, did I miss :welcome:ing you to the thread? Because I totally thought you were casualrungal, so I probably did.

FMAnderson

Knocking his head against the wall.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
empirenevadathenovel.wordpress.com
Got 20 pages of Empire edited! It's really starting to shine now!
Also, the new WIP is better than it has any right to be. I'll post the first chapter in SYW soon.

Is it cool to post whole chapters, or should I just post the first few thousand words?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
The shorter the amount you post is, the more responses you will probably get. Just some advice.

However, if you need the feedback to be for the chapter as a whole, post it.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I totally thought it was today and was going to pounce on you and ask you why it wasn't up

Emmet Cameron

Registered
Reaction score
Emmet, did I miss :welcome:ing you to the thread? Because I totally thought you were casualrungal, so I probably did.

Those generic playing card avatars be damned! (Although I was pretty jazzed that the Jack of Diamonds was among the options. The song is responsible for a chunk of my novel, and also my brain.)

Also, hi. It's nice to meet you.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
FM, Yay for edited pages! And good luck with your wip. let us know when you post. i generally can't handle more than 1-1.5k words on SYW but sometimes when people post something too long, I will read/crit as much as I can or have time for.

FMAnderson

Knocking his head against the wall.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
empirenevadathenovel.wordpress.com
I went ahead and posted the first ten paragraphs on SYW- http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7617349#post7617349

My main question is if the opening is ominous enough to suggest future craziness, or if it's too hidden right now? I figure the title is ominous enough, but the paranormal element really won't show up for a few chapters. After that it goes nuts.

What do you think?

Last edited:

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Ahhh... I don't think you're supposed to post the passwords on an open/Googleable part of AW. That's the point of having passwords to some threads, so only members can view.

And everyone who is logged in to AW can see the password ;)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
The passwords are only to protect the work from being viewable from search engines and to protect it from being considered published. It's okay to put "vista" in here :)

Status
Not open for further replies.