Status
Not open for further replies.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
Any character who is passing on his/her knowledge to the main character (so your commanders, paternal/maternal figures ect), and anyone who has a shred of grey in them and appears to be redeeming themselves.

And parents in kids books

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
Han Solo would like a word with you.

I kill MCs with reckless abandon. Even the narrators, which I still think is a bad idea, though that hasn't stopped me yet.

Obviously Han Solo was too cool to die. :cool:

But in his role he was someone I wouldn't have been surprised to see get killed. If Star Wars had been a more serious movie, not so appealing to kids, then I'd have almost expected him to die.

MakanJuu

Registered
Reaction score
Well... in recent years, the only books that have managed to get me going like that were "A Game of Thrones" & "The Sword of Truth"

In A Game of Thrones, I'll admit, I regularly get worried about Arya & every major thing that happens to her tends to shock me.

In The Sword of Truth, it tends to happen more often, but it's mainly because I expect people to die in "A Game of Thrones" & am largely prepared for & immune to that. I still sit there going "No, No, No..." while it's happening, but I let it go afterward. Even the Red Wedding.

When main characters die in A Sword of Truth, its rarer & handled very emotionally. And, on top of that, there are several close calls that get me just as bad. For instance, the end of "Stone of Tears." The deaths that got to me were of two other characters in "Faith of the Fallen" & "Confessor." I won't spoil who they were, but one was a bitter, controlling character whose last words were trying to force another main character into marriage. They essentially got jumped before they could finish the conversation & the character sacrificed herself to save the other.

The other death was a main character, who had magic, was in the middle of a battle in their camp. He saw a little girl being run down by a man on a horse &, forgetting to use magic, jumped in the way. What's worse, he didn't die immediately & his last words were telling several other main characters that it was literally impossible for their side to win the war. Then they caught the guy who did it, who was acting exceptionally pious & proud of what he'd done & wouldn't shut up about how "the Creator" would reward him for it.

Dreity

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think Martin is as merciless as everyone says he is. I think all his favorite characters are still alive. :tongue

Emermouse

Registered
Reaction score
In A Game of Thrones, I'll admit, I regularly get worried about Arya & every major thing that happens to her tends to shock me.

If we were to start a thread entitled "Characters who scare the pants off of you," I'd put Arya on the list because frankly she scares me. She doesn't seem to like anything but killing anymore and whenever I hear anyone talk about how they want their daughter to be just like Arya, I shudder. I love the Game of Thrones books but I wouldn't want my kids to be anything like any of the characters in the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.