Status
Not open for further replies.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
Let's say I have a lot of unused, original characters that could all fit in a similar high fantasy world.

I know that just adding them in hopes they will make sense would be a terrible idea.

I thought about jotting down notes for all the characters, but it seems tedious. Maybe a character relationship chart?

Does anyone have any ideas of how I go about organizing all these characters and ideas so I don't go overboard? Anyone ever had a similar problem?

Thanks! :3

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm at a loss as to where you would get characters without a story--do you mean you have storylines that could overlap in the same world? If so, sure, you could think of a way to weave them together into one novel.

To figure out how, you could jot down notes about where each plot/subplot is taking place within your world, the main goal of its MC, and some details about what you see happening. Then you can see whether your different MCs have similar or conflicting goals and get a sense of how you could bring them together in the finale.

If it turns out that you can't combine things neatly, you could consider writing a series of standalone novels set in the same world.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
I'm at a loss as to where you would get characters without a story--do you mean you have storylines that could overlap in the same world? If so, sure, you could think of a way to weave them together into one novel.

The bold is correct! There is some story, but it still wouldn't effect much. :D

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
I have a collections of unused characters, either because their MS got trunked, or because I had to cut a scene, or simply because I haven't had time to get that character's story yet. I have a pool of characters. Don't know if I would throw them all together in one story, but I do pull from the pool from time to time when I need to. Characters originally starring in XYZ trunked story ended up with a part-time role in ABC story.

If your characters have a similar setting, then it might work really well to combine them all. Sometimes, just for practice, I shove two unused characters in a weird situation and watch what they do. I like to make opposing characters meet because it's fun to watch a deadly assassin help the farmer's daughter look for her teddy bear.

As long as you have a cool storyline to go with your characters, it sounds like it would be fun. I can't help you with the organization since I've never orchestrated something of the scale you're talking about. It sounds like it would need a lot of outlining, though.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why is your objective to cram them all into one story? Seems like an unnecessary headache to me.

Shirokirie

*Leers at you awkwardly*
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd make up a really good plot and then center each character around it, each one having a major part in that plot. Otherwise, imho, a 'character-driven' story with a mishap-mash of characters is like Katrina whirling towards New Orleans, again - but this time she brought Harold, her boyfriend, and all their buddies.

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
Had a similar problem in a sequel to one of my SFs. The setting was a planning session where rebel leaders had to exchange views on what to do. You end up using too many "He said" tags. Need to be clever by employing action describers (Paxton scratched the mole atop his bald head, James barked, etc.) Also need to have each player exhibit a different role or job for being there when they chime in. Otherwise just appears like random chatters.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
Stick them in a closet and tell them to wait.

The ones who bust out? Maybe they deserve a walk-on role or something, but remember, even though characters can often take on a life of their own - something many of us have experienced - you are the master of their fate or appearance in your WIP. You and only YOU.

SamCoulson

Registered
Reaction score
As far as managing the characters themselves, I personally always went with the old-school pen-and-paper RPG route and wrote up character profiles (I used to actually use blank D&D character templates). They require you to describe the character, backstory, establish their moral standing (chaotic evil, Lawful good, etc).

I keep them in a pool that I can use, but I only bring them in if there is a purpose--if they move the plot along--OR If I want to sneak them in some later part of the story/sequel/other parallel short story and want to plant an Easter-Egg (mostly I do this for my own enjoyment). Either way, if a character is not critical/does not push your story along, you can include them, but don't linger on them. Don't provide information that your story does not need without some purpose.

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
I keep notes on characters as they pop into my head, but generally, I don't suffer from an abundance of unused characters. Usually I come up with story lines and plot ideas, and then go on a quest to find characters to populate my stories. If you have unused characters I would put them in a little box with a little index card that has your notes on them, and pull them out as needed. Sounds like a good problem to have!!!

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
Why is your objective to cram them all into one story? Seems like an unnecessary headache to me.

This. I can't cram as many characters as possible into things, it's not good for me or the story. Craming them in would just make for a jumbled mess as far as I'm concerned. If you have a surplus of characters I would look at which ones make the most sense to put into a story together.

Come up with a story idea first and then examine each character to see if the fit the story. Not all will and that's fine, they don't have to. Just try to fill the roles with characters you already have before creating a new one for just that story. That's what I would do if my characters didn't evolve organicly as a part of the story. I tend to think up an interesting premise first, something like; when an alien ship crash lands on earth Lilian is called in to examine the bodies from the wreckage. This gives me two obvious characters, the Alien (obviously there wouldn't be much story if one didn't survive) and Lilian.

See if you can come up an interesting story idea and examine the chars to see which ones fit. I don't envy you this job, I prefer entirely organic characters that wouldn't fit in another story like what I did above. Mine tend to fall flat if they're not grown from what the story itself needs.

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
It seems like I have a more difficult time coming up with stories/plots than I do characters.

My advice would be to pick out the most interesting character and tell his story.

Start with a moment he's in big trouble--

What does he want -- What does he NEED -- right now?
What's keeping him from getting it?
What would be the ideal solution to his problem?

Then write the story of this character as he travels from what he needs to the final 'Yeah! I have it!'

You may find some other character helps or hinders him in this process.

When you're through with Character One, you go write Character Two's story.

Status
Not open for further replies.