How much do you work on your writing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrandonKOrner

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Just curious as to how much time some of you other authors put into your works.

How much do you work on your books? How many minutes or hours? Weekdays or weekends?

I try to work on my books for at least two hours everyday.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
The exact amount I need... which means, whatever. I don't like to set limits for myself. I just write when I feel like it, how much I feel like it, for how long I feel like it.

Kay

I wish I was as cool as this cat.
Registered
Reaction score
Not nearly as much as I'd like in the summer. I have to have a quite atmosphere where I'm not needed and can just sit and write. Sometimes I'm only able to write for a few hours on a Saturday at the library, though usually I can squeeze a couple hours in throughout the week.

When my kids go back to school and on days I don't work, I may get four or five hours those days.

ssbittner

scientist, artist, writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ssbittner.com
A few hours a day, if I can. Some days I can't do any at all due to other demands on my time. Some days I do nothing but write. It really depends.

thwaitesyellow

Registered
Reaction score
So normally, when I'm working at my real job (which does not involve being a full-time writer), I spend about 2 hours a day working on my novel project at hand. This includes 45-60 minutes of actual writing, which is how long it takes me to write about 1000-1200 words, and the rest is spent tweaking the current project plot or outlining new ideas. When I'm strapped for time, I devote the 1 hour I can carve out of my day to just writing.

I'm on vacation at the moment, so I've been able to devote some time to editing a finished novel. I can spend an additional 2-3 hours per day on that, a luxury which I don't usually get to enjoy.

BrandonKOrner

Registered
Reaction score
There are days when I will work on my books all day.
The summer is a good time for that. Really, I try to work on them as much as I can, but as I said, I try to put aside at least two hours a day minimum to write.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I write five hours per day, five days per week, unless deadlines get in the way. But I know exactly how almost all of my writer friends with nine to five jobs would answer this because they've all had to answer it. I can't believe how often this question come sup. They all say, Every possible minute I can.

Really, if you want to be really good, if you want to succeed, is there any other answer?

Anna Spargo-Ryan

Just pokin' about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.annaspargoryan.com
At the moment I don't get as much time to write as I'd like. Maybe an hour a day. When I was writing my first book, it was more like eight hours a day, and that gave me a good rhythm.

I work on my writing a lot more than that, though. It's more or less always front of mind, whatever I'm doing.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As often as I can, which is never enough.

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
Mostly on weekends. I need an hour or two of procrastination before I can get into it and with working full time, I'm just too tired to write during the week. Or, rather, too tired to enjoy it.

EffinGoose

Registered
Reaction score
I've been writing at page a day, a little more depending if I've found an extra reserve of motivation inside of myself. I also spend about thirty minutes to an hour daily looking over what I have written to find places where I can improve the flow of my prose. I'm extremely new to writing work that isn't technical mission reports or training manuals so I have more then enough material to revise!

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
40 hours a week, minimum. It's a job, so I treat it as such.

Jeff

dantefrizzoli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
It depends, I would say. If I have time, maybe an hour a day and during breaks or holidays I have more time

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
An hour or two on weeknights, if I'm not bone tired. Several hours each day on the weekends, if I can.

(I work another job full time.)

katci13

creative genie
Registered
Reaction score
Consistently inconsistent. But on a day I'm writing, I write until I have to stop, either because I'm too tired to write anything good or I ran out of outline or out of time or I just have something else I have to do. I don't write everyday or even every week. Some weeks I just procrastinate and whine too much. Some weeks every spare hour is spent writing and I do little else. My DVR gets bloated on the regular. Then I have to take a week off from writing to catch up because I don't want to delete anything. o_O

amillimiles

Registered
Reaction score
It depends. Over the summers or winters or weekends I can get more done. On weekdays I'm exhausted from work. My novel is currently undergoing its second round of beta reading, so I'm chilling for a while and waiting for the feedback to come back before I start more intense work. I do try to set myself a schedule or goals, but sometimes it's just unrealistic given real life. Hopefully someday my novels will become my "real life". :)

Sunflowerrei

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleathy.com
If I don't have work, errands, or a combination of the two, then I shoot for several hours at the very least. But then I'm also easily distracted--Facebook, fun Twitter links, reading blogs, CandyCrush--so I don't always get as much down as I'd like. It also depends on what I'm writing--novel, new plot idea, blog or fanfiction. But I do write something everyday. Or I'm reading, which I count as entertainment and working on writing.

On days I work, I get usually get a good hour or two in, depending on the length of my shift.

thepicpic

May or may not be a potato.
Registered
Reaction score
However long it takes me to hit 1500 words or so. I try to do this at least five days a week, but it doesn't always work out that way. Perhaps it's a sedate pace compared to others, but if I try to exceed that breakdowns and meltdowns occur.

warofthesparks

I know what happened to Baby Jane.
Registered
Reaction score
70 - 80 hours a week. Usually 10-12 hours every day. More if I'm off from work.

I realize I have the luxury of more writing time than most unpublished writers, and I use that time wisely. Of course, that also means sacrificing in other areas of my life. It helps that I do it 7 days a week and don't take off birthdays or holidays.

Last edited:

Juzzy

Pancakes.
Registered
Reaction score
Not as much as I should, unfortunately. If I'm actively writing, I usually hit about an hour to two hours in a single sitting. If I'm revising and editing, it can be a bit longer. Really depends on what's going on and what mindset I'm in at the time - some days I just straight up can't be bothered.

angeluscado

Registered
Reaction score
I work on my stuff when I can, and no matter what I do, I feel like it's never enough. Hopefully once everything settles and I'm unpacked from my move I'll be able to devote more time to writing, around my other activities.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
Less than I'd like that's for sure. We have a home-based business so as 'office administrator' I don't have much free time. When I worked a regular 9-5 job outside the home I got in a lot more writing.
Now I get up before the crack of dawn and write for an hour or two before my husband gets up. The rest of the day is usually shot well into the evening but if I get a chance I write for another hour or so some time during the day.

Lilly

Registered
Reaction score
A few hours every day, seven days per week.

Lilly

The Package

Cool. I get to write my own? How ab
Registered
Reaction score
Mostly on weekends. I need an hour or two of procrastination before I can get into it and with working full time, I'm just too tired to write during the week. Or, rather, too tired to enjoy it.

This.

I'm just too tired most of the time, and when I get home there are too many distractions; nothing grinds my gears worse than being interrupted mid-sentence. That being said, I wait until everyone is asleep, and then I write until I'm too tired to. Could be three hours, could be thirty minutes; a thousand words, or ten.

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so embarrassed to answer this question because sometimes I go months without writing. I have a really demanding job and summer is when I'm busiest.

But in November - April my schedule slows down considerably, so I get a lot done then. I probably work on it like a part time job between those months, maybe 10 hours a week or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.