How much do you work on your writing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Package

Cool. I get to write my own? How ab
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so embarrassed to answer this question because sometimes I go months without writing. I have a really demanding job and summer is when I'm busiest.

But in November - April my schedule slows down considerably, so I get a lot done then. I probably work on it like a part time job between those months, maybe 10 hours a week or so.

Don't feel embarrassed. I've done the same, it's not a big deal. I never wholly put aside my writing (ideas are always ticking away in that brain of mine), but there will be a month or so that goes by without me ever putting digital pen to digital paper.

Not sure if I could write for 60 hours a week, I think I'd go nuts.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
It's my full-time job, so 8 hours or so a day, usually 6 days a week. I used to work upwards of 12-16 hours a day, but in the interest of staying sane (and married) I scaled that back considerably. Now I'll put in extra hours if I'm on a tight deadline, but otherwise, I stop at 6pm.

Straka

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
danstraka.blogspot.com
Usually late evenings before I get too tired. My currently WIP is 560 pages and tool roughly 700 hours for the first draft, corrections, and 1 round of beta reading corrections. The 700 hours were over the course of 10 months.

That's just the statistical dork in me. None of that matters. I write until the it doesn't sound like writing. Then I write some more.

Persei

Let it go
Registered
Reaction score
It depends on where I am in the novel. Outlining/planning doesn't take much of my time so maybe half an hour every now and then when I'm feeling especially creative. At least at first, I don't try to force it because good ideas often com naturally to me.

Once I have at least a rough outline, the real work starts. I try to get at least 1K words every day on my project, plus a little more planning on the side. Usually this takes one or two hours of mine.

Readable Joe

Registered
Reaction score
AT this stage, I'm making time for three hours on weekdays.
I work better in the quiet of the early morning when the day's issues haven't been thrown at me yet, so it's 5AM starts for me.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
I write every day and I mainly write at night. My mind and creativity seem to flow better during that time. The kids are asleep and the house is quiet. I also have rules in place on the weekends when I am off because I cannot stand to be interrupted. It ruins everything and I get very cranky.

I put on my writing soundtrack for whatever book I'm working on and light my candles. I am a pantser by nature,so I just sit down and write. I normally write for four hours and being yappy,I can clock 5000 words or more during that time.I have had twelve hour stretches of writing when my kids are gone.

For me,writing is both fun and an escape from the life of a working mom. I just plain love to write. I feel bad when I miss a writing session. I guess you could call it my crack,lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.