So, I want to start my own blog... What next?

ritinrider

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been wrestling with the same problem. I started my scholarship blog on blogger, and it's fine there. Haven't had many visitors but I haven't pushed it either. Since I started the blog to build a platform for my book I'm thinking of moving it to my own domain (and I have no idea what I just said) or starting my own website and moving the blog there (if that's possible).

Not being tech minded at all, I have no idea what to do. So, I'll keep reading this thread to try and figure it all out. Thanks for asking the question, and to everyone for their intelligent answers.

MitchJ

Registered
Reaction score
If you go with a big Web host like GoDaddy.com, they have install wizards for blog software like Wordpress. That makes it very easy to set up. Then you can customize at your leisure. I did it the hard way, but I'm a techie.

Simple Living

Registered
Reaction score
I'm switching from Windows to Mac after the MacExpo in mid-January. At that time, I'll be creating my very first webpage and blog.

The amount of new info and terminology I've been trying to stuff into my brain is just -- uff-da! I've been reading a lot of the posts here but the information is all so random and unorganized. Does anyone have any websites, or books, they can recommend regarding setting up your first website and, especially, blog? Something with useful tips and warnings.

I read the 12 Laws Every Blogger Should Know and can't believe the legalese involved. It almost makes me think twice about it. Before jumping into this, I want to learn more and feel better about doing this.

Any suggestions?

jenfreedom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.growingagreenfamily.com
http://www.chrisg.com/
http://performancing.com/
http://www.problogger.net/
http://weblogs.about.com/ -- This is currently getting a new blogger so there's no new content right now but the archives are good.

That's the tip of the ice burg -- there are many other great blogging blogs. I do a weekly guest post on basic blogging stuff at http://www.freelancewritinggigs.com/ each Friday. I try to post stuff that's easy. If you go to any of the above you'll see links to other blogs that are good too.

Which platform are you using?

~ Jennifer

Simple Living

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the links, Jen. Your posts are always helpful!

I haven't decided on a platform yet. I'm constantly told I need to start a blog, so, I'm researching right now. What do people like reading about? What are the telltale signs of a "wrong" platform?

My purpose for the website will be to start (early) to get my name out there, for publicity reasons for my writing. Since that won't happen for awhile, I thought I could do what I could to attract a blogging audience.

Topics I enjoy discussing are writing, my faith, cooking, living simply, simplifying your life (two different things). I "tell it like it is" when it comes to Hollywood, entertainment and political correctness. The thing is, who would be interested in reading my thoughts on those things? And why?
The "tell it like it is" topics would end up being more like rants and nothing I would want to sustain in a blog. The other topics, I wouldn't have a problem writing about consistently.

Are other bloggers concerned about shield laws, deep linking, tax laws and copyrighting their work and images? It's a lot to think about!

Simple Living

Registered
Reaction score
I'm confused. What's so dizzying? You choose a blog site, like blogger, livejournal, or wordpress. Then you create an account. Then you start blogging.

What's to know?

It's not that simple anymore. To jump into blogging without researching liabilities and consequences isn't smart. The terminology is mostly what's dizzying to me. I'm learning a whole new language here.

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't decided on a platform yet. I'm constantly told I need to start a blog, so, I'm researching right now. What do people like reading about? What are the telltale signs of a "wrong" platform?

Don't try to guess what other people want you to write... write what you enjoy and the readers will fall into place. Find your own voice. And you don't have to get it perfect right off the bat; I'm still tweaking my own blog.

It's only overwhelming in the beginning because it's a new, unknown avenue, but if you jump in it gets easier very quickly. Whatever blogsite you choose (I'm on blogger) will talk you through set-up and maintenance, and then you blog as often as you choose.

I think your concern over it is bigger than is necessary. Honest. :)

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
Topics I enjoy discussing are writing, my faith, cooking, living simply, simplifying your life (two different things). I "tell it like it is" when it comes to Hollywood, entertainment and political correctness. The thing is, who would be interested in reading my thoughts on those things? And why?
The "tell it like it is" topics would end up being more like rants and nothing I would want to sustain in a blog. The other topics, I wouldn't have a problem writing about consistently.

Then discuss those topics! I think you could weave all of that into a blog very nicely. And as long as you're writing with your true voice, you'll find readers who keep coming back.

Ava Jarvis

Too stupid to know fear
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spontaneousderivation.com
One of my favorite recent articles from Performancing:

http://performancing.com/the-first-3-months-of-blogging-is-hard-0

Build up as you go, and ease into it all. Don't worry too much about the legalese; it's there for a reference in case you get into a sticky wicket or think you're about to. It's pretty much: don't steal stuff, and don't be a dick.

Finding a voice takes a while.

You'll do good. :)

Much luck!

Simple Living

Registered
Reaction score
I think your concern over it is bigger than is necessary. Honest. :)

I'm sure it is. Like I said, I tend to research the quack out of new things and blogging is no different. It's just that, when the first thing I read about it was The 12 Laws Every Blogger Should Know. It was just the wrong first article to read about blogging! LOL

Simple Living

Registered
Reaction score
Then discuss those topics! I think you could weave all of that into a blog very nicely. And as long as you're writing with your true voice, you'll find readers who keep coming back.

You're as encouraging as ltd! And your earlier post was true. I was over-analyzing it. I'm not looking for fame with my website/blog. I want two things from it. 1) To enjoy doing it, and 2) to eventually use it for press for future publications.

I won't be selling anything, collecting personal information, becoming a conglomerate, or even trying to make money from my website. (If any ads are ever on my website, they'll be ones I know, endorse, use and believe in.)

I do have very specific plans to make my website a fun and interesting place to visit. (Only three more weeks to the MacExpo and me getting my new iMac!)

Simple Living

Registered
Reaction score
One of my favorite recent articles from Performancing:

http://performancing.com/the-first-3-months-of-blogging-is-hard-0

Build up as you go, and ease into it all. Don't worry too much about the legalese; it's there for a reference in case you get into a sticky wicket or think you're about to. It's pretty much: don't steal stuff, and don't be a dick.

Finding a voice takes a while.

You'll do good. :)

Much luck!

You see? Rules I can live by! I plan to use all of my own images. That's something I was concerned about. I don't want to be accused of copyright infringement using someone else's photographs.

The only other thing I'm slighty concerned with is deep linking. I certainly wouldn't ever claim someone else's work as my own. I would make it clear that the link will take the reader off my site and into a new one.

Thanks for the link to the article. It was helpful.

Ava Jarvis

Too stupid to know fear
Registered
Reaction score
Website
You see? Rules I can live by! I plan to use all of my own images. That's something I was concerned about. I don't want to be accused of copyright infringement using someone else's photographs.

Good choice. There's been a bit o' hubbub about that on the nets of late. But basically, photographs get stolen all the time, and they probably shouldn't be, but sometimes it isn't clear. Best to not get tangled into that....

The only other thing I'm slighty concerned with is deep linking. I certainly wouldn't ever claim someone else's work as my own. I would make it clear that the link will take the reader off my site and into a new one.

Yup. I usually say, "Over at so-and-so's blog/site/page, description of content with permalink to said content." Takes care of it all.

Thanks for the link to the article. It was helpful.

I'm glad you found it useful!

plaidearthworm

Rock and Squiggle
Registered
Reaction score
The best part about starting a new blog is that you've got training wheels built right in. How? Because you can take part in AW comment blitzes, memes, blogrolls, etc., and get feedback from all of us. Being on AW has made my entry into the blogosphere so much easier this year, and I'm so grateful for everyone who stops by. :)

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
Look Mom! I Built My Own Website!

Yes, this says it's geared toward those in Grade 4 (and, in another part of the description, it says the target audience is between ages 11 and 17). I've been referring people to this guide ever since it was released, though, because it's very basic and covers what people need to know to get started easily.

Simple Living

Registered
Reaction score
Good choice. There's been a bit o' hubbub about that on the nets of late. But basically, photographs get stolen all the time, and they probably shouldn't be, but sometimes it isn't clear. Best to not get tangled into that....

When I put my own photos on my site, is there a way to protect them so people can't right click and copy/save them?

Simple Living

Registered
Reaction score
The best part about starting a new blog is that you've got training wheels built right in. How? Because you can take part in AW comment blitzes, memes, blogrolls, etc., and get feedback from all of us. Being on AW has made my entry into the blogosphere so much easier this year, and I'm so grateful for everyone who stops by. :)

Getting judged and ripped to shreds! Count me in! Yeah! (Just kidding)

I will absolutely be running it by folks on AW. I want to keep it simple. Not have so many links that people feel like they need to spend so much time on the site. Read, enjoy and move on. In today's time-sensitive world, that seems like a good way to go.

Simple Living

Registered
Reaction score
Look Mom! I Built My Own Website!

Yes, this says it's geared toward those in Grade 4 (and, in another part of the description, it says the target audience is between ages 11 and 17). I've been referring people to this guide ever since it was released, though, because it's very basic and covers what people need to know to get started easily.

Hukt on Fonix Werkt fer Me!

Hey, I'm not proud. I'll take help anywhere I can get it. Although, from what I hear, Mac makes is so doggone easy. Drag and drop.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
It's not that simple anymore. To jump into blogging without researching liabilities and consequences isn't smart. The terminology is mostly what's dizzying to me. I'm learning a whole new language here.
Liabilities of what? I'm just posting thoughts, I'm not slandering anyone.

Took me less than an hour to get set up and start blogging.

Terminology, schmerinology.

Last edited:

Ava Jarvis

Too stupid to know fear
Registered
Reaction score
Website
When I put my own photos on my site, is there a way to protect them so people can't right click and copy/save them?

There's Javascript that can do it, but most web browsers will let you override that (mostly by turning off the Javascript). I think there are some pretty crazy tricks you can do to get around even that, but at that point it gets a bit funky. And Google image search will jump right over that.

However, I usually go by Occam's razor, which is to put a watermark in the corner or edge, something unobtrusive yet distinctive. A little logo icon with perhaps your site URL. Then if someone steals your image without editing, it will be blazingly obvious... and your url and logo are also displayed. Cropping the watermark off will usually result in an ugly off-center picture, and trying to Photoshop out a watermark is painful. Usually more pain than it's worth to your casual image stealer.

Win. :)

Simple Living

Registered
Reaction score
Liabilities of what? I'm just posting thoughts, I'm not slandering anyone.

Took me less than an hour to get set up and start blogging.

Terminology, schmerinology.

I see your point, now. I was over-analyzing my needs and intent for blogging. I was just reading all the wrong information about blogging for my purposes. The only real concerns, which have now been eased, were with using photographs that weren't taken by me, and with deep linking.

As for the lingo, that's still a factor, but I'll just learn it as I go.

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
Keith,

I read the 12 Laws, too, when I first started and it got me scared. Then, in my usual fashion, I said, eh, the heck with it. (Only I didn't use those words. LOL)

Are we missing a "Blogging Made Simple" stickied post somewhere?

BTW, I will second what Plaid said about AW giving you something of a built-in readership. I *always* get a few comments when I post in the "Did you Update your blog today" thread, and hardly any when I don't. When I do post that I updated, comments also appear on past days blogs, which were previously comment free.

What does this tell me? 1). People read my blog, when I tell them it's been updated. 2). They enjoy it enough to even read posts they "missed." 3). If not for AW, I'd have NO readers, or at least very, very few.

And that's okay with me, because I like writing for an educated, intelligent audience, which AW provides. :)

To comment on a comment made a few posts back--JenFreedom, YOU'RE the Jen from FreelanceWritingGigs? I LOVE YOU!! :) Seriously. Thanks for all the work and the links.

Dawn

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Simple Living - The only other thing that I would add to what you've already read is a simple word of.. "awareness".

Be aware that, whatever you put up on a blog, even if you took it back off the next day, is out in the world forever.

Not something to be scared of, just make sure that, when you post stuff, it's something you'll still want people to see when you are a) rich and famous b) poor and infamous c) surfing the net with your grandma, children and/or grandchildren.

I am the pot, but that doesn't make the kettle less black.

kohuether

Registered
Reaction score
I would suggest problogger.com (has a bunch of things geared towards beginners as well as advanced bloggers) and the Blogging class at writersonlinecourses.com.

I took the blog class there, and it's very comprehensive and structured. It was $19 when I signed up. I signed up in July and am still enjoying it. There is a section for beginners, as well as what to do after your blog has been around for a few months.