So, I want to start my own blog... What next?

jenfreedom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.growingagreenfamily.com
To comment on a comment made a few posts back--JenFreedom, YOU'RE the Jen from FreelanceWritingGigs? I LOVE YOU!! :) Seriously. Thanks for all the work and the links.

Dawn

You just made my very long week of what I've been currently working on a total success. Which I know sounds cryptic but in essence, I've been working very hard on landing a new blogging gig. It's a big fat tough one and I've been wondering why I'm even bothering.

Thank you so much for brighting my day and week. :D

~ Jennifer

Simple Living

Registered
Reaction score
Simple Living - The only other thing that I would add to what you've already read is a simple word of.. "awareness".

Be aware that, whatever you put up on a blog, even if you took it back off the next day, is out in the world forever.

Not something to be scared of, just make sure that, when you post stuff, it's something you'll still want people to see when you are a) rich and famous b) poor and infamous c) surfing the net with your grandma, children and/or grandchildren.

I am the pot, but that doesn't make the kettle less black.

That's a caution that doesn't ever get old. It's always applicable. Thanks for the reminder. :Thumbs:

Simple Living

Registered
Reaction score
I would suggest problogger.com (has a bunch of things geared towards beginners as well as advanced bloggers) and the Blogging class at writersonlinecourses.com.

I took the blog class there, and it's very comprehensive and structured. It was $19 when I signed up. I signed up in July and am still enjoying it. There is a section for beginners, as well as what to do after your blog has been around for a few months.

Forgive my ignorance, but is it necessary to go through a site like this? I'll be getting an iMac within the next two weeks and planned on using their software to build a website. They have some blogging templates I've been checking out.

I feel like I'm missing something in my understanding of having a website and blog. It probably has to do with hosting and servers and how all that works. Ugh... getting dizzy again. ;)

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the links, Jen. Your posts are always helpful!

I haven't decided on a platform yet. I'm constantly told I need to start a blog, so, I'm researching right now.

No one else seems to have asked this yet, so I will: WHY? In other words, why do you NEED to start a blog? It sounds like this is a lot of unnecessary hassle and trouble for you, so I have to wonder at the urgency. My feeling on a blog is, keep one if its something you a: want to do and b: can keep up with (or have an audience that won't demand punctual posting). I maintain a private, family-oriented blog that documents the goings-on of my child for far-flung family, but beyond that don't feel the need to blog elsewhere. I've made some nominal attempts purely for the purpose of creating a central home for my thoughts, but would stress again this isn't a "must do" thing. So ask yourself whether this is something you WANT to do, or are you just caving to peer pressure? :)

Ava Jarvis

Too stupid to know fear
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spontaneousderivation.com
slcboston,

Sometimes you don't know 'til you try it. I did the usual just me and my shadow blogging on/off for several years, and only with my most recent blog has it sort of become a driving passion that I want to strive for. Maybe Keith will really like blogging; maybe he won't.

Then again, I am an impulsive type.

Keith,

Just use Blogger (http://www.blogger.com/), dude. :) It's simple and has more features--that are still easy to use--than the Mac blog stuff. It's a great first place to blog.

I am fairly experienced with blogging software, having written three versions (small and no longer available anywhere, as far as I can tell) and dinked around with many others, but in the end I still use Blogger. Everything else is a bit of a hassle.

Then again, it's not like Blogger is the land of milk and honey either, but it *is* easy.

Strongbear

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thegoldilocksgame.com
I know that they can be of great help to publicise one's book, and that they are kind of like an online journal, but seeing as I don't really keep a writer's blog myself I'm still not too sure how it works. Why, for instance, if you just start talking about any subject randomly, would a whole load of people on the internet decide to read your particular blog and your thoughts? And how do these become popular to the extent that people are tuning into it everyday?

And do people's blogs have a thematic element or do you simply just ramble on about absolutely anything in your life each day (ie it really is like keeping a diary)?

If someone could explain it to me, that would be a great help.

Thanks.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
There are a bunch of different types of blogs and, from what I understand, certain blogging sites cater to certain types of blogs although not exclusively.

There are your journal/diary-type blogs that I've found many younger people write and meander on about their day. For those, it's dependent on the person why they keep coming back to read more. Personally I don't want to read about someone's day to day ramblings especially if they're not interesting. In fact, the only journal blog that I read is melaniehoo's but specifically because it's interesting and she has a good voice throughout. It's also not a "normal" blog either in that she's from the US and emigrated to Mexico with her husband and it's about that. Very interesting and quirky.

There are blogs with specific themes that they stick to, others with just tones that they keep throughout. Mine, for instance, if somewhat observational only because I don't know what else to call it. It's humor and I'd like to say my voice and the content I write keeps people coming back and I have it to expose people to my voice and give update on my writing.

Some blogs I just don't get and don't understand why people start them. I think, outside of a bonafide purpose like writing, people do it in order to gain internet popularity, to feel wanted and loved, I guess. It's an ego-boost to have people read what you're writing and encouraging you to write more and some people need that.

There are so many different reasons to have a blog and I didn't have one until JeanneTC urged her fellow humor writers to get one as a means of promotion. I didn't get the point at first because I always equating blogging to emo kids complaining about eyeliner but now I see it as a means to hooking readers before there's anything to read.

razibahmed

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hobbyecon.blogspot.com
"Why, for instance, if you just start talking about any subject randomly, would a whole load of people on the internet decide to read your particular blog and your thoughts? And how do these become popular to the extent that people are tuning into it everyday?"
Yes, it is possible but it depends on the effort you give.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If you want a lot of people to actually read it you need
--to be so famous people are gagging to know more
--to cover a topic area people want to know about
--to be interesting and funny no matter what you talk about

:)

Simple Living

Registered
Reaction score
No one else seems to have asked this yet, so I will: WHY? In other words, why do you NEED to start a blog? It sounds like this is a lot of unnecessary hassle and trouble for you, so I have to wonder at the urgency. My feeling on a blog is, keep one if its something you a: want to do and b: can keep up with (or have an audience that won't demand punctual posting). I maintain a private, family-oriented blog that documents the goings-on of my child for far-flung family, but beyond that don't feel the need to blog elsewhere. I've made some nominal attempts purely for the purpose of creating a central home for my thoughts, but would stress again this isn't a "must do" thing. So ask yourself whether this is something you WANT to do, or are you just caving to peer pressure? :)

Valid questions. I appreciate you asking them. (If people aren't challenged, they'll never grow.)

My thought, originally, was that a blog can be a good marketing tool to help attract attention and readers. While this is true, I didn't start out wanting to blog. To be honest, this was during my "pre-blog understanding" phase. Now that I understand more about them, and having received a lot of encouragement to start one, I'm looking forward to it!

Simple Living

Registered
Reaction score
Keith,

Just use Blogger (http://www.blogger.com/), dude. :) It's simple and has more features--that are still easy to use--than the Mac blog stuff. It's a great first place to blog.

I am fairly experienced with blogging software, having written three versions (small and no longer available anywhere, as far as I can tell) and dinked around with many others, but in the end I still use Blogger. Everything else is a bit of a hassle.

Then again, it's not like Blogger is the land of milk and honey either, but it *is* easy.

Ava,

What's the difference between blogging on my (soon-to-be) website and using a blogging site? I was going to buy a web address from someone like GoDaddy and direct my .Mac site to it automatically.

Simple Living

Registered
Reaction score
I'm new to blogging and will be beginning one shortly. The part I'm having trouble understanding is whether or not to go through a blog site or set up my own. I don't think I'm understanding this properly.

I have a .Mac account and can create my own webpage. Now, I know if I buy a domain name through a site like GoDaddy, I can direct the traffic from hitting the .Mac address and send it to the domain name. Nice. So, where does the blog site come into this if I want to blog on my own domain name and not have the blog and the website separate. Are there three websites involved now?

And, which blog site(s) do you like best and why? Thanks everyone.

flashgordon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bauuinstitute.com
You are correct on all answers. That is: 1) you can get a free blog via Blogger and have it point to your domain name so that the url is yourdomainname/blog; 2) you can also do this I believe with Typepad and Wordpress blogs; 3) you can get a web host that has either Typepad or Wordpress already installed so that you can blog once they begin hosting your domain; 4) you can do none of the above and just keep the blog at Blogger, Wordpress, or Typepad.

Each one has its pluses and minuses, it really depends on what you are using the blog. Is it for just random blogging? If so, put it on your site or just keep it for free on one of the blog sites. If you are using to drive traffic to another site (like your url), then don't host it as part of your domain. If you are using to build an identity, then DO have it point to your url and not Blogger or Wordpress.

Hope this helps.

Simple Living

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone. It's nice to know I'm learning something and not going crazy.

laffarsmith

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccalaffarsmith.com
If you're looking for something a little more advanced (not recommended for beginners) then you can host a Wordpress.org on your own hosting with your own domain name. Most serious bloggers turn in that direction at some point.

For beginners however I think it's easier to get your feet wet with a fully functional, semi-customizable blog hosted on a platform like blogger.com or wordpress.com etc.

Blogger.com allows you to point a domain name to your blogger blog so that option could work for you.

laffarsmith

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccalaffarsmith.com
One of my primary motivations for blogging is to connect with other writers and share my experiences and knowledge with others. It also gives me an opportunity to delve into the minds of other writers and I read blogs for the same reasons.

Blogs range from the rambly to the topical. Some can be very much like magazines with focused topics and ads that delve deeply and continuously into a specific concept. Blogs range from amateur to professional.

You really have to go exploring the blogsphere, read some blogs, you'll learn so much from doing that. Don't bother to write a blog unless you're a blog reader.

It really does take effort to develop a reader-base. It isn't a case of "build it and they will come". You have to interact, be informative, offer something readers want, get out into the world, seo, marketing, promotion, etc. There are many blogs out there that linger in rear readerlessness and others that come and go because they never develop a following. Those that succeed are the ones that pull together the threads of a consistent interest to targetted readers.

Let me know if you'd like to read more about blogging and beginning a blog. I have some information about blogging at The Writer's Round-About but could also provide links to sites with more detail.

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
Why did you hate blogger? (I like to hear all perspectives in case I'm missing out on another site that could be better.)

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
I have about seven blogs on Blogger and love it for its ease. I recently tried to do a blog on wordpress.org for a graphics client and it was a total nightmare to change the template so I'm staying away from that evil thing from now on.

Simple Living

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone tried BlueHost? Yes, it's a monthly fee of $6.95, but it sure seems to provide all you could want/need.