Status
Not open for further replies.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
My boyfriend and I were thinking of creating a graphic novel for one of our stories.

Both of us differ on styles a lot. I'd prefer something more unique, while he wants to go straight manga. We're both artists, but we draw differently. Not only that, he's better than me. His work vs my work.

I also have a feeling a wider audience would be received if we used a more unique style. He's very stubborn, though, and refuses to draw anything other than manga.

Should I not worry about this?

Sharii

I draw comics, lots of comics.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sharii.com
I don't think you should worry. Judging from sketches you posted, both of your styles look similar enough to each other it probably won't matter much which way you go. My opinion is that your worry about it being 'manga' is unfounded. 'Manga' is an all encompassed term. A style that influenced by 'manga' can still be a unique style.

Bicyclefish

Pedaling Pescado
Registered
Reaction score
Your styles to me both have a "manga" feel to them -- that Cardcapter, Naruto, etc look people think of. I don't think style is that important, to be honest. There are those who prefer one style over another and others who enjoy both.

You may be getting too concerned with trying to reach the widest audience, however, especially with your first endeavor. Draw what you feel you're good at and what you enjoy. However, I think what you should be asking yourselves is: who can draw sequential art well and with consistency and not get tired or frustrated?

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
You may be getting too concerned with trying to reach the widest audience, however, especially with your first endeavor. Draw what you feel you're good at and what you enjoy. However, I think what you should be asking yourselves is: who can draw sequential art well and with consistency and not get tired or frustrated?
And reasonably quickly.

You don't have to post every day, or necessarily even every week. But you're going to want to have a regular update schedule and *stick to it*, especially for your first venture. Some comics can get away with irregular updates (Lackadaisy and Order of the Stick come to my mind immediately), but I've also seen it crater the fan base of what should be a much bigger series.

Also and unrelated - I think if you guys start out in the regular manga style, you'll see it evolve to something a bit more uniquely yours as you move on. :) Good luck!

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
My boyfriend and I were thinking of creating a graphic novel for one of our stories.

Both of us differ on styles a lot. I'd prefer something more unique, while he wants to go straight manga. We're both artists, but we draw differently. Not only that, he's better than me. His work vs my work.

I also have a feeling a wider audience would be received if we used a more unique style. He's very stubborn, though, and refuses to draw anything other than manga.

Should I not worry about this?

Maybe it's me, but if you hadn't differentiated, I'd have had no problem believing those were by the same person. They don't seem particularly different styles or talent-levels.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
He'd never leave manga-style. I would like to pursue other styles, but it wouldn't matter. XD

As of last night, he decided he'll draw everything and I'll just ink/line-art. He takes forever to draw, and I don't. It's so odd. :D

I probably didn't show you his best work, but he is definitely better than me!

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Well, for what it's worth, I like your style. It's cute and, while slightly manga-ish, it's your own. He's talented, that's for sure, but the manga style's been done a thousand times. It looks exactly like stuff my friends were drawing in high school (not an insult, my friends were insanely good and I was jealous of their ability. It's just, I couldn't tell you if it was his or theirs if you put their work side by side.) I'd like to see a comic in your style.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well, for what it's worth, I like your style. It's cute and, while slightly manga-ish, it's your own. He's talented, that's for sure, but the manga style's been done a thousand times. It looks exactly like stuff my friends were drawing in high school (not an insult, my friends were insanely good and I was jealous of their ability. It's just, I couldn't tell you if it was his or theirs if you put their work side by side.) I'd like to see a comic in your style.

You're not the first person think my style is "cute". A lot of people kind of like it.

I agree with you about the manga thing, lols.

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
Youre worried that manga style art wont appeal to a wide audience? I think fans of manga/anime art ARE the wide audience.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Manga has many different styles, just look between Shonen and Seinin.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
Go with what feels right for the tone of your story, even if it means someone else does it.

My artists' styles were exactly what I wanted. I wish I could pay them to finish, but I wouldn't want to ever ask anyone else.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.