I don't know where to submit this (romance satire)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
For some reason, I decided to write a small-town contemporary romance satire called The Billionaire’s Ex-Wife. It’s about a woman who moves to Sunny Ridge, Ontario after her divorce, and the alpha-hole mechanic who’s convinced she’s the woman he’s going to marry.

Anyway. When I was going through horrible withdrawal symptoms and sleep was a foreign concept, it seemed like a great thing to write to entertain myself. I believe it was partially inspired by this article (not that the story is anything like any of those ideas) and Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town by Stephen Leacock (which I had read 15+ years earlier and didn't remember at all, other than the basic concept).

But now that it's just about done, I have no idea where to submit it. It's only 15k, which already too short for a lot of publishers. And I don't know who would be interested in something that's somewhat satirical. (I don't consider it really heavy satire though.)

Any ideas? Or should I just submit it to the places I normally submit contemporary romance...?

Thanks.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Who do you want to work with? I like sending shorter works to new-to-me publishers because if things don't work out, I haven't got too much time invested in it.

So I'd figure out who I was interested in working with, check to see if they have a short story/novella line, and give them a try! As long as it's a true romance and the satire is light, I don't think you have to limit yourself much. Maybe some places won't like it, but I think it's better to try and strike out with a publisher you'd really like to work with rather than send it to a publisher just because you think they might be interested.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Have you thought about Harlequin Digital First Series? (Link is to a PDF of their guidelines.) The guidelines say anything over 10K and that they do accept contemporary, although not in one of the named lines.
I have information from the editor in chief of that imprint that Harlequin Digital First is closing to new submissions, although that doesn't appear to have been added to the website yet. She told everyone thinking of sending anything to them to send to Carina or Carina UK, or Harlequin Escape instead.
She said they are focusing on increasing sales for the existing titles they've put out.

Last edited:

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I have information from the editor in chief of that imprint that Harlequin Digital First is closing to new submissions, although that doesn't appear to have been added to the website yet. She told everyone thinking of sending anything to them to send to Carina or Carina UK, or Harlequin Escape instead.

Oh, wow! thanks for supplementing that Gingerwoman.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the ideas.
I think I'll submit to the usual places (aside from the ones that don't take short works)...

Status
Not open for further replies.