Male Authors, writing from POV of the female?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Pardon me for jumping in here. I don't have any qualifications whatsoever in writing (haven't produced a single novel). That stated, this thread's topic has definitely (for lack of a better word) bothered me.

I don't know the dynamics/emotions/thought processes that goes on within the female's mind. (I sometimes wonder if I know my own dynamics/emotions/thought processes. I seem to wing it most of the time.)

My current WIP requires me knowing the thought process of a 'typical' grade 12 female student (including her unique traits/characteristics/personality). I'm winging it right now. Mainly because I think a female student is just the same as a male student in that she'd think about grades and her boyfriend and her best friend. I'll probably include (by
mistake) typical stereotypes of high school girls. (i.e.
"Oh WOW! Bieber is so cute!" or "Teen magazine's out!
look at that hunk!" *rolls eyes*)

I mean, I can try to empathize what a girl would sound/do for any situation she finds herself in; but, as a male, I can never know what a girl really thinks/acts like.

No offense to anyone.

ew

PS: New here. I'm aspiring to be a sf/f writer.

You could read some back threads on this, but in general...

Give up on the idea of "the female's mind". There's as much variation within female minds as there is within male minds. Write your individual female character.

As an individual, you can never know what any other individual really thinks/acts like. But you can use your imagination to create realistic characters. You sound like you're comfortable doing this with male characters, but not female? I'd say you're overestimating the differences between the genders.

If you're wanting to write sf/f, you need to be able to put yourself into the minds of characters raised in the future, or in a world where magic is real, or into the mind of a non-human character. These are all big challenges compared to putting yourself into the mind of a character with a slightly different body type than yours.

Renee J

Registered
Reaction score
In grade 12 (at least in the U.S.), she may be more worried about college and her grades than a singer or band. Girls who are obsessed with famous performers tend to be younger. Or maybe she's wondering if she should take a year off after graduating and travel before going to school. Or maybe she has steady boyfriend and wonders if they will still be together after she graduates.

spiralus

Registered
Reaction score
This is an interesting topic for me as I'm a guy who would like to delve into the romance/erotic genre. I found it completely natural to write with the female leading, and scant attention paid to the male character in my first piece. I wonder if that's a natural thing for men to do or am I subconsciously writing for my target audience??

Kalliopaea

Kalliopaea
Registered
Reaction score
One of the few male romance writers I've enjoyed reading is Ken Casper. He wrote several titles for the NASCAR miniseries Harlequin released about five years ago.

The one I enjoyed the most was called Miles Apart, where the male lead (a NASCAR driver) comes face-to-face with his estranged son after 25 years. His wife left him for a Formula 1 driver when their son was 4 years old.

I thought it was very well-written. Mostly from the male lead's perspective (including some pretty awesome on-track action), but he also throws in several POV switches from not only the female lead's but also a couple of the secondary characters.

I would highly recommend reading a couple of his novels just to get an idea of the different styles between men's and women's romance.

Status
Not open for further replies.