What is considered a "love triangle"? When should it end in a standalone novel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
After reading some threads on this topic, I was a little confused, since my wip that I'm currently writing (pantsing a bit) might have organically created a "love "triangle?

I love reading romances (usually m/m), but I don't think I've read one with a love triangle, or at least a long-lasting one--yet--that I liked. I've seen *ahem* threesomes, though. ;)

What, exactly, would constitute a true "love triangle"?
Is it only if both of the two people in the triangle return the affections of their main loved one?

If one person of the "triangle" does not return the affections after some time, would that still be a "love triangle"?

In my sci-fi romance wip, my teen MC starts off crushing on a particular person, almost becoming obsessed to the point of stalking a bit. Later, MC finds out that the person is not returning the affections, and it turns out other person (the Teammate) has been crushing on MC the entire time.

This story is basically about the building up relationship between the Teammate and MC, when originally MC was after the first crush. MC learns that xer alien culture allows for polygamous/polyamourous relationships, but LI's culture does not, so this is a culture clash kind of story.

However, when should be a reasonable amount of time for the "love triangle" end (in a standalone, not a series), so that this main romance can be developed?

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is it only if both of the two people in the triangle return the affections of their main loved one?
A love triangle involves three people. One person could be in love with the other two, two people could be in love with the third, all three could be involved in a poly relationship.
If one person of the "triangle" does not return the affections after some time, would that still be a "love triangle"?
Pretty much. In fact, your conflict quotient for romantic tension increases because that person could become quite involved with getting that person's attention exclusively and trying to push out the third.
However, when should be a reasonable amount of time for the "love triangle" end (in a standalone, not a series), so that this main romance can be developed?
In my first novel, the third in the triangle is introduced about halfway through. Three-quarters through, and two of the three say "I love you". By the end of the story, everybody's paired off the way they should be. YMMV

Latina Bunny

Registered
Reaction score
In my first novel, the third in the triangle is introduced about halfway through. Three-quarters through, and two of the three say "I love you". By the end of the story, everybody's paired off the way they should be. YMMV

Ah, I should read your novel to see how you handle it. :) It's not a threesome relationship in the end, though? (I'm not entirely in love of Ménages.).

Was it balancing the three difficult for you, though? Any advice? :)

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Person A winds up with Person B, and Person C of the triangle winds up with Person D, a friend of A.

It wasn't difficult. I put qualities in A and C that B found attractive, and while he juggled both for a time, he had to make a choice between them as to who was a better match.

JoyceH

Registered
Reaction score
Website
joyceharmon.wordpress.com
I think a 'threesome' and a 'love triangle' are different things. A love triangle is a problem, because two members of the triangle are in competition for the third and want the other out of the equation. Whereas in a threesome, all three partners are cool with everyone remaining in the relationship. Isn't that right?

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In a love triangle, persons A and B could be having a relationship while person C is starting to date person A and B wants C out of the picture. In a threesome, A, B, and C are all piled in bed together having sex. (Didn't catch that earlier.)

LJD

Registered
Reaction score

In my sci-fi romance wip, my teen MC starts off crushing on a particular person, almost becoming obsessed to the point of stalking a bit. Later, MC finds out that the person is not returning the affections, and it turns out other person (the Teammate) has been crushing on MC the entire time.

...However, when should be a reasonable amount of time for the "love triangle" end (in a standalone, not a series), so that this main romance can be developed?

Well, your situation is A in love with B, but B is in love with C. I think more commonly, at least in my experience, a love triangle is thought of as A and B both in love with C (a la Twilight?) but they're both love triangles.

Anyways, love triangles, particularly of the latter kind I think, seem to be on the whole unpopular with romance readers.(*Not that all of them feel this way, but I've noticed this sentiment is pretty common.) If we're talking genre romance here. But, I think it's more that when people read a romance novel, they want to know who to root for from the very beginning. They don't want the who-will-she-choose?? suspense. Outside of genre romance, I think this can work better.

But yeah, in romance, most people want to know who the couple is from near the beginning, have it clear who should end up together, and see that they're right for each other. Now, I have definitely read a few books where someone is crushing on someone else, even a good part of the way through the book. And I have seen this work well. (What I Did for a Duke) But there still has to be development of the relationship between the hero and heroine in this time, and it has to be clear they're the two people who belong together. So it's a bit hard to answer your last question.

Last edited:

JoyceH

Registered
Reaction score
Website
joyceharmon.wordpress.com
But yeah, in romance, most people want to know who the couple is from near the beginning, have it clear who should end up together, and see that they're right for each other. Now, I have definitely read a few books where someone is crushing on someone else, even a good part of the way through the book. And I have seen this work well. (What I Did for a Duke) But there still has to be development of the relationship between the hero and heroine in this time, and it has to be clear they're the two people who belong together. So it's a bit hard to answer your last question.

Georgette Heyer did this to great comedic effect in Cotillion. Kitty talks sweet mild-mannered Freddy into a pretend engagement so she can go to London and make dashing Jack jealous. Jack is presented as a standard variety Heyer hero, so you expect the story to end with Kitty paired off with Jack. But as the book progresses, the reader begins to find more and more problems with Jack and Freddy is always there to get Kitty out of her amusing predicaments. Neither Kitty nor Freddy see one another romantically... until they do.

Latina Bunny

Registered
Reaction score
But, I think it's more that when people read a romance novel, they want to know who to root for from the very beginning. They don't want the who-will-she-choose?? suspense. Outside of genre romance, I think this can work better.

Lots to think about. Thanks, LJD. :)
Yes, I'm somewhat aware of the dislike of love triangles, especially if they dragged on for so long. I dislike love triangles in general, too. Which is why I'm trying to avoid that "who will he/she choose?" suspense, but I wanted to understand what defines a true love triangle first.

I'm thinking of ending the "triangle" early (or maybe midway?) And then the MC has to deal with the consequences of his/her actions and realize that what's acceptable in his/her alien culture (polyamourous/polygamy/etc) may not be appropriate in other cultures or may not suit other individuals. The rest of the story will deal with MC trying to win the love of the "true" LI, (and make amends with non-LI and earn his friendship).

This is a sci-fi YA romance, so some of the romance conflict deals with the clashing of the LI's culture and MC's culture. That, and the MC is a sheltered and immature teen dealing with the differences between "love" and "crushes".

I wil be sure to make sure it's clear that LI and MC are developing a relationship from the beginning.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Anyways, love triangles, particularly of the latter kind I think, seem to be on the whole unpopular with romance readers.(*Not that all of them feel this way, but I've noticed this sentiment is pretty common.) If we're talking genre romance here. But, I think it's more that when people read a romance novel, they want to know who to root for from the very beginning. They don't want the who-will-she-choose?? suspense. Outside of genre romance, I think this can work better.

I actually like love triangles where it's not clear right away who the correct person is. Gone with the Wind has two such triangles, and I think they're very well done.

The problem is usually that, in an effort to show who the hero/heroine is, the writer overdoes it and makes the unneeded person roast evil with ugly sauce on the side. I once read an inspirational romance where the hero and heroine had a nice, believable relationship. But the heroine's parents wanted her to marry some other man who was greedy, a smoker, not a Christian and possibly gay.

When contrasted with the perfect hero, this guy was even more obviously the villain of the piece. There was zero suspense, except for the heroine holding on to whatever relationship she had with him so she could try to convert him. So that didn't work at all for me.

But if it's clear that A has good reasons to be attracted to both B and C, that's much better.

The other thing that irritates me about love triangles is if there's no apparent reason for both B and C to be attracted to A, or if it's not believable that these two people would continue staying with or longing for someone who can't choose between them. If I ever get the impression that A stands for Archie while B and C and Betty and Veronica, I'm out.

Last edited:

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
In a polyamorous relationship, three people might be involved, but not all with each other, if that makes sense... A might be involved with *both* B and C, with B and C completely aware of and accepting of each other but not involved with each other.

So it wouldn't be a threesome; but it isn't exactly a triangle either, since some of you seem to be saying that a triangle means that the two love interests *don't* know about each other.

In polyamory, if three people are all involved with each other (A is involved with B and C; B is involved with A and C; C is involved with A and B), whether it's by couples or all three at the same time, it's usually referred to as a triad; in the situation I mention above, where A is involved with B and C but B and C are *not* involved with each other, it's a V.

None of which might have anything at all to do with this thread... but I'm just pointing out that there is another alternative besides either A having to choose between B and C, or A, B, and C all being involved with each other in a menage.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
A classic love triangle is a conflict arising from two people loving the same (third) person. Yes there are other variations but they would tend to be called menage, poly etc.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
There are all kinds of love triangles, but the vital element is romantic entanglement or desire between three individuals.

One version that I see all too often is where a woman must choose between the two men who love her. Another version might have a woman who loves a man, but he doesn't love her back, and a third man is in love with her, but she doesn't care for him. That's probably the truest form of a love triangle, because when you visualize it, it actually forms a triangle.

My second novel has a love triangle, of sorts. The heroine travels through time and meets a younger, less jaded version of her lover. Romance ensues. Then her lover follows her through time and catches her with his younger-self. Jealousy ensues. And blood. And kissing. (Does a menage a trois count if one of the threesome is yourself?)

Night_Writer

It's all symbolic.
Registered
Reaction score
My second novel has a love triangle, of sorts. The heroine travels through time and meets a younger, less jaded version of her lover. Romance ensues. Then her lover follows her through time and catches her with his younger-self. Jealousy ensues. And blood. And kissing. (Does a menage a trois count if one of the threesome is yourself?)

Hmm, I think the science fic element makes that an isosceles triangle, doesn't it? :)

PenTeller

Registered
Reaction score
I've noticed among readers that there seems to be triangle fatigue, but this seems to mostly refer to situations where the heroine is being pursued by two different men and doesn't! know! which one! to choose!

(Think very popular recent book series).

I think when done in different ways, it can be very realistic and very suspenseful. How boring would every story be if the hero and heroine have no other attachments and can just get together, the end?

Status
Not open for further replies.