So...what are YOU writing now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClarissaWild

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing two separate books at the same time right now, so sequels in two separate series :p all erotic romances... very busy! yep yep.

MsLaylaCakes

Playing the waiting game
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.taraquan.com
While my second Undead Fairy Tale (based on Red Riding Hood) is gathering cob webs with my beta (aka hubby), I'm trying my hand at a One Night Stand "short" contemporary romance. My last attempt at under 10k turned into a 33k novella seems to be my sweet spot), but I'm determined to keep it simple this time.

Katallina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathyanncoleman.blogspot.com
I've got three projects right now:

1) Promise Me Forever -- The first of six prequel novellas to my Sealer Saga (fantasy / romance). I'm about 22k in and have 4 more chapters and an epilogue to write before this'll be finished. In this story we learn about the (former) God of Healing, Kyden, his first love, and how meeting her lead him to become the God of Plagues.

2) Sweet Rebellion (formerly The Mansion You Stole) -- A contemporary NA romance about a guitar prodigy who dreams of getting on stage and singing, rather than just writing music, a bad boy country singer whose past is catching up with him, and a secret that could make them fall madly in love or destroy their dreams of gaining or reclaiming a place in the music industry forever. (I have a *much* better summary than this but I'm trying to keep it short here.)

3) Preparing to start work on the third and (please, God, I hope?) final draft of Sealer's Promise. I think I'm almost there. The distance and the work on the prequels has helped a lot. Once I have Promise Me Forever and Sweet Rebellion in rough draft and out with betas it'll be back to this, probably alternated with some of the other prequel novellas to keep me sane. (I'm not good at re-writes. Revision, sure. Total re-writes though? Eek!)

Anyway, clearly I've got stuff I should be doing. :D Great topic, though. It's fun to hear what everyone's up to. :)

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
I'm working on the second book of my Red Dragon series. Going a bit slow. I blame the hot weather, makes me tired. :( But the end is in sight and I hope I'll be done by the end of next week. Then I'm going to work on a shortish thing in August (around 20-25k long I estimate) working around some holiday time to go visit family.

After having 4 books out in just under 9 months I'm all caught up on myself and the only thing contracted and not yet out is a short that won't appear for a while yet. So on the good side I'm free of deadline pressure. And on the bad side I'm free of deadline pressure! :D Deadlines are quite motivating to me.

shameless

Superlative Type A
Registered
Reaction score
West of somewhere and a click south of nowhere
Website
www.sandy-james.com
I'm proud to say I sent my second Grand Central manuscript to my editor yesterday! :snoopy: Now...I'm finishing the last few chapters of my second self-pubbed Safe Haven series book. THEN...agents have two proposals they want me to write.

LOVE being busy! Just wish I didn't have to go back to school in another week. I soooo want to make enough as a writer to retire from teaching!

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing another paranormal menage romance MMF. I have written 45,000 words of what should be 65-70 thousand words but I haven't worked on it in two or three weeks now due to real life. :-(
It has a lion shifter and half fae in it and is very loosely connected to Wicked Wonderland but unlike Wicked Wonderland it is not a Christmas book and has nothing about Christmas in it. Basically the connection is that the villainous dark fae in Wicked Wonderland is the grandmother of the heroine in Wicked Safari.
The story also has some of the same world building, half human-half-fae living in the real world wonder if they have fated mates like the full blooded fae do. In this world full blooded fae in the Fae Realm live in bisexual menage relationships. So the heroine and two heroes are attracted to each other, but unsure if they are really fated mates.
In Wicked Safari one of the heroes is uncomfortable with his bisexuality while the heroine is recovering from a life time of abuse from her dark fae mother.

Last edited:

dianeP

Registered
Reaction score
After sitting on them for 5 years, I finally cleaned up two manuscripts and put them out on Kobo, and I'm now cleaning up the third. Hopefully I'll have it out before the end of the year... then onto the fourth that's been waiting for an ending since 2009. Honestly, I'm the queen of procrastination:)

VanessaNorth

Purple hair, not prose.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanessanorth.com
I wrapped the first draft on that wakeboarding story today. I originally planned for it to be a 15k short, but after outlining it, i realized i had the plot for something much longer, and revised my wordcount goal to 30k. It ended up wrapping up at 31k, but i'm fairly certain i'll add a few thousand more during revisions.

Escape Artist

Plotting her escape...
Registered
Reaction score
Walking the fine line between cute and creepy...
I'm working on the stories listed in my signature, in tandem. Whenever the brakes start squealing on one, I switch to the other.

Six Feet Under is going well - I'm sans laptop at the moment, so I've got pages and pages of world-building notes and half-scribbled scenes plus the stuff that was already on my laptop, so I've no idea how many words in I am. It'll be fun to find out once I start entering everything in.

I've taken the characters in SFU in so many different directions since they first made their appearance in my mind a little over three years ago, but never in this direction - never with all three getting their HEA. I looked over some old iterations last night wherein only two of the three ended up together (and I tried it every which way, believe me) and it felt so, so wrong. It was heartbreaking! So I'm thrilled that they all get to be together in this version. Makes it exciting to write.

In Lieu of Death
is coming along, too, though it's pretty much in its infancy at this point. I was so happy when I realized that the main character in this story is a person of color! For a minute there, I was worried that my imagination was unintentionally racist, because I've never really had a PoC present him/herself as a main character. Really I think it was that I was so afraid of misrepresenting any race other than my own, that my imagination just followed suit.

So anyway, this MC came as a pleasant surprise because right off the bat, I not only knew he was a person of color but that he was also gay. Of course, I'm just as afraid of misrepresenting homosexual men as I am of misrepresenting PoC, but what can you do?

This story/character/situation definitely has a series feel to it because: 1. I've been privy to no other "voice" than the MC's, 2. There's a lot of room to play with in the world, 3. The MC's love interest is going to take a WHILE to come around anywhere near an HEA with my MC (he isn't nearly as comfortable with his homosexuality as my MC is).

So yeah, this story feels like HIS story, not the story of how he and his man fall in love (though that will happen), and this world is just way too much fun to dip into and out of within the span of one measly book.

Kathl33n

Questioning Everything
Registered
Reaction score
I have a Romantic Suspense series I am still working on. Fixing plot holes still on book one, finishing "cutting the fat," in book two, and writing book three. All while potty training my son, house breaking the puppy, and trying to keep the cat from sleeping on my keyboard while I'm typing.

LydianHarker

Registered
Reaction score
Trying to finish a ghostly f/f short to submit to Torquere. They extended the deadline, so I've got about three days. *shifty eyes* I'm halfway done with the rough draft...

Calle Jay

Romance Novelist & Freelance Editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.callejbrookes.com
I'm working on final edits for my 8/31 release. I want it to be all nice and shiney! I'm hoping to get it up on Smashwords preorder before Friday.

It's a paranormal romance, book eleven in the series. I think it's one of the strongest yet, though I also think it's going to be shorter than I expected.

Becky Black

Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
Finished the first draft of the second of my Red Dragon series. Seemed to take ages, though was really only three and a bit months. I've got a week off now, while away from home, and then going to work on the draft of a short thing. Maybe a v.short novella. I'm estimating around 25k.

skydragon

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a paranormal romance at the moment. It's going really well. I think I've found my genre. :D

Ann_Mayburn

Smutty McTitters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annmayburn.com
Now that I'm back and done with the madness that is the Author's After Dark conference, which was hella fun, I'm buckling down and finishing up some deadline edits and then back to finishing 'Penance' (Long Slow Tease #2). Femdom Romance dealing with PTSD and stuff. ;)

lizbeth dylan

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently rewriting a historical romance AKA The Never Ending Edit.

Then Thursday & Friday, I slogged out 1,400 words for an idea that leaped into my brain earlier this week...which is probably my brain rebelling from editing the other WIP. It's kind of a sweet, modern romance but I have no idea where this one will go yet.

SelmaW

Follow your heart; take your brain
Registered
Reaction score
My friend asked me this the other day. I start off, "Well, it involves organic cattle ranching..." and she immediately goes, "oh lord no you are not allowed to go any further."

But I like westerns! :D

Nightmelody

Registered
Reaction score
I have been having some hand issues so haven't been writing a lot. I have been doing world building for book 4 of my scifirom series.

I do have an editor lined up for mid October for a novella (self pub) and I have this romance that is finished, needs revisions/editing. It's a fantasy that takes place in a world destroyed by an electromagnetic Pulse from space...but it opens up a dimensional portal that earth has seen before(European Mythology). Ash tree and pool. My hero finds out over time he is the guardian of the pool. My heroine is a young mother and pregnant. Kind of a big mish mash...

Becky Black

Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
I'm in editing mode for a couple of months now. That short thing I was going to do has actually gone on the back burner, because I think it needs to be longer than I was planning, so it deserves more focus than I could give it right now. Probably won't be a full length novel, but at least a novella. So I've put it aside until next year probably. Meanwhile gotta get this novel I finished early in August edited and submitted!

And I'm in the early stages of planning the next novel draft, that I may start writing during NaNoWriMo. Depends how fast the editing goes.

Last edited:

shameless

Superlative Type A
Registered
Reaction score
West of somewhere and a click south of nowhere
Website
www.sandy-james.com
Just published my second self-pub historical! Yay!! Finally getting the hang of this!! Do you like my new cover??? (See my new avatar... ) It made me happy. :snoopy:

Now I'm focusing on a new series proposal and the third book in the Safe Havens series. I find I love being a "hybrid"--being both traditionally published but still being able to do exactly what I want by self-pubbing. It's very...liberating. :D

I have so many stories screaming in my head, I'm starting to think I'm schizophrenic. :tongue

shewritesfic

A writer who hates 'da rulz'
Registered
Reaction score
I'm revising a 120k paranormal.
Writing a 50k paranormal
Doing revisions on a 100k contemporary romance.
Developing 2 sequels for the 100k contemporary romance.

If all that fails to hold my attention, there's always the other 4 unfinished books on my hard drive. One is an NA paranormal and the other three are regular paranormals.

If you haven't already guessed, I have the attention span of a gnat.

d-fae

Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on a series of short stories right now, mostly to improve my writing rather than anything serious. Figured I should get used to writing every day before I embark on anything more demanding.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Working on the first of a spin-off series of our first Sazi reality. Very fun new take. It's like wandering through your childhood playhouse and seeing it through grown-up eyes with childlike memories. Inspiring! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.