Title for a Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dallionz

Registered
Reaction score
How do you go about naming a series?

My series will be three books and each book is about a different sibling in the Chandler family.

Should I name the series using the Chandler name, name it after the town, or something else entirely?

I originally thought to call the series State of the Heart. The first novel (my WIP) is called "Capturing Peace." I'm not sure if State of the Heart really applies.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Last edited:

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
Are you self-publishing? Because if not, your publisher may have strong feelings about what the books should be called. (Fortunately for me, because I'm terrible with titles.)

Dallionz

Registered
Reaction score
I was AFK all day, sorry for the lack of responses and my reverting to my gaming days LOL

Are you self-publishing? Because if not, your publisher may have strong feelings about what the books should be called. (Fortunately for me, because I'm terrible with titles.)

Yes, I'm self-publishing so it's all up to me - for better or for worse lol

I think I'm going to write a Random Title Generator program, just for kicks. :)

Haha that could be fun!

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
I'm writing a sequel to my first, but didn't plan on it that way. I am working on a series after that, tentatively entitled "Red Dirt Justice." Think Hill Street Blues plus Law & Order, with a little COPS thrown in for seasoning. It was fairly easy to get that title though, because everything happens in Oklahoma, which is called The Red Dirt state, among other things.

So tell us about the Chandler family, and where and when they live. Maybe we can brainstorm something together.

IdrisG

the wicked wit of the west
Registered
Reaction score
My WIP romance series is called "Fancy Love" because it deals with precious jewels and non-white diamonds are known as "fancy color diamonds". One of the main characters is also called "fancy love" by her love interest, so the name just sort of evolved from there.

My WIP sci-fi series is named after the first book at this point, but that could change as I get farther in the writing process.

Dallionz

Registered
Reaction score
The series is a contemporary set of three books. Here's the basic idea, although of course I haven't even started work on the 2nd or 3rd books.

Capturing Peace - Laurie is a photographer. When her studio is broken into, Kentucky Chandler is the police officer who is sent to investigate. This book is about how Kentucky helps her work past her fear and find the peace that has been stolen from her along with her camera equipment.

Rebuilding Trust - I'm still working on the story line. When registered nurse Alexis Chandler's ailing Grams has an accident in the kitchen, a fire results. Worried about the health of her grandmother, Alexis vows to spend more time with her. She hires a carpenter to come and replace the walls and cabinets that were burned in the fire.

Finding Forgiveness - Serenity Chandler was only 18 when her son was born. The father wasn't in the picture and Serenity vowed to do everything she could to raise her baby the best she knew how. Now her son is four and diagnosed with autism. Serenity struggles to balance being a mom, working to support her family and attending all of her son's therapies. She blames herself for her son having to grow up with only one parent. Her son's occupational therapist works closely with her on some behavior issues and they become friends as he tries to help her let go of that guilt and realize what an amazing job she's doing caring for her son.

This is the logo I originally designed for it when I was going to call it the State of the Heart series. I was going to place this in an oval or something similar on each of the book covers to tie them together. I really like this, but it doesn't fit anymore. I would like to keep it if I could alter it to fit the titles. Or alter the titles to fit it somehow.

StateoftheHeartSmall.jpg

I had someone suggest changing the titles to Finding Peace, Finding Trust and Finding Forgiveness and not messing with a subtitle since my covers will be designed to look similar and will have the same fonts and all. But my husband is not sure that would be enough to tie them together.

Any and all thoughts/suggestions are welcome! TIA!

Dallionz

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a sequel to my first, but didn't plan on it that way. I am working on a series after that, tentatively entitled "Red Dirt Justice." Think Hill Street Blues plus Law & Order, with a little COPS thrown in for seasoning. It was fairly easy to get that title though, because everything happens in Oklahoma, which is called The Red Dirt state, among other things.

So tell us about the Chandler family, and where and when they live. Maybe we can brainstorm something together.

You're right, "Red Dirt Justice" sounds perfect for your series! I love it when things fall into place like that! Your series sounds very interesting!

My WIP romance series is called "Fancy Love" because it deals with precious jewels and non-white diamonds are known as "fancy color diamonds". One of the main characters is also called "fancy love" by her love interest, so the name just sort of evolved from there.

My WIP sci-fi series is named after the first book at this point, but that could change as I get farther in the writing process.

"Fancy Love" is a great series title based on what you said. And very unique, as well!

My husband suggested using the name of the first book for the series as a whole.

Dallionz

Registered
Reaction score
"Power of Love" came to mind as I looked at the brief synopses.

"Healing Love"
"Love Heals"
"Love's Healing Power"

These are fantastic, thank you, Bob.

I admit I like "Power of Love" best, though the first thing that comes to mind is the song and then my mind immediately goes to Back to the Future. LOL

The other three are wonderful as well. And I can work with any of them and that logo design I have.

Going to mull those over a bit. But I really like them. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.