101 things to do with canned salmon

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
I bought a can of boneless, skinless Alaskan pink salmon, now what do I do?:Shrug:

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I bought a can of boneless, skinless Alaskan pink salmon, now what do I do?:Shrug:

Salmon patties are the bommmmmmmmmmmmmmb! Don't sit on them! Open them up and use them!!! Dip them in a nice ketsup/mustard sauce too. Deeeeeelish.

An egg, some bread crumbs and corn meal is all you'll need, with two cans of salmon.

Can I come over?

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Cool! Thanks for the info! If I decide to go with salmon salad... would I make it just like I would make tuna salad? I've got Miracle Whip, dill, lemon and celery. (Does it need to be cooked first, or is canned salmon precooked?) Yes.. this is my first can. :)

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Cool! Thanks for the info! If I decide to go with salmon salad... would I make it just like I would make tuna salad? I've got Miracle Whip, dill, lemon and celery. (Does it need to be cooked first, or is canned salmon precooked?) Yes.. this is my first can. :)

I think canned is precooked.....no? Really not sure. Check the can, should say. It's just like canned tuna, you dont have to cook that.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
I think canned is precooked.....no? Really not sure. Check the can, should say.

Canned IS pre-cooked.

We make our salmon patties with 2 cans salmon, 2 eggs, bread crumbs or cracker crumbs, a little Old Bay seasoning, other seasonings to taste (I'm fond of a little lemon pepper)....then fry till brown. Delicious!

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
You could make salmon kedgeree. Just mix the salmon with cooked rice, milk, and butter, and add plenty of salt and pepper.

Some people add curry powder too, but I don't like curry powder.

I usually use 3 cans Bumblebee salmon (oh, how I miss it; they don't have it here so unless my Mom mails it to us we don't have kedgeree, because salmon here, canned or not, is disgusting and flavorless) to about 6 cups cooked rice. So if you have one cane you could mix it with 2 cups of rice and see how that works. I mix it on the stovetop, sauteeing the salmon in butter first, then gradually adding milk, rice, and more butter to taste, until it's all mixed well. It sounds very basic but it really is delicious.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas! I ended up making salmon patties with shredded zucchini, onions and lemon/pepper spices. They were good!
Thanks again!

czjaba

dreaming of the day...
Registered
Reaction score
Why did I look at this thread just before lunch? Now my mouth is watering and it's still an hour before I can get home.
I love salmon patties. Sometimes I make them with a little cheese on top, with lettuce, and tomato between burger buns.
As SpongeBob fans, my kids call them crabby patties. :D

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone ever considered using mashed potato flakes in their salmon patties instead of bread? Makes them brown beautifully and they are delicious.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Canned salmon is excellent for patties; never thought of using it for anything else. Plus watching your cat go berserk when you open the can is worth the admission price right there...

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
They were out of fillets in the market! Can you believe it? A grocery store in the Pac. NW is out of salmon fillets!! I was surprised there weren't any protesters out in front of the store. :) They had steaks, but I don't 'do' bones, so I thought I'd give canned a try. It wasn't too bad, but it was a special edition "Wild Alaskan" salmon.

We threw our can out. We had no idea what to do with it and when we opened it, it just looked so unappetizing.

Throw it out or give it to a cat. I hate canned salmon. Anything you can make with canned salmon tastes 100% better with fresh.

Last edited:

Scathe

Editor & Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beorh.wordpress.com
Easiest Canned Salmon Cakes

1 can salmon, dry rolled oats until you have a thick mush, chopped garlic to taste, black pepper, salt to taste, tbs. olive oil.

Heat frying pan to half heat, add olive oil to cover bottom of the pan, pat out patties into small hamburger shapes, fry until golden brown and then flip for same. Makes 10-12 cakes, which is about right for 2 people, since they don't taste right the next day.

No eggs, flour, or anything else needed.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We threw our can out. We had no idea what to do with it and when we opened it, it just looked so unappetizing.
I have a great recipe for salmon patties. I made them once. Too bad I'm never make them again; opening that first can for the first time induced all sorts of squick.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ahhh, Canned Salmon

We ate it quite often growing up - It was an affordable alternative to meat.

We'd saute it in butter (bones and all) with onions (and a lil salt and lots of pepper) and then put it on top of a mound of cooked rice.

Voila! A quick, cheap, tasty dinner. ;)

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I like it mixed with cream cheese, a little lemon juice, Tabasco, and finely chopped green onions. Great on crusty bread.
But I'd rather have fresh or smoked salmon any day.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ahhhhh, lurve me some smoked salmon with cream cheese and capers on a poppy-seed bagel. Oh, yes I do! :)