Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
So we have a duck. She lays eggs.

I've been reading and hearing about homemade pasta with duck eggs as an absolute delight.

Anyone have any experience with pasta making? With or without duck-eggs? Thoughts, observations, witticisms, snark, or wry asides are all welcome!

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
So we have a duck. She lays eggs.

I've been reading and hearing about homemade pasta with duck eggs as an absolute delight.

Anyone have any experience with pasta making? With or without duck-eggs? Thoughts, observations, witticisms, snark, or wry asides are all welcome!

Well...I have made a lot of pasta in my past. No duck eggs. I can tell you that the flour you use matters a lot no matter what you use to make it. The machines are harder for me as they crank out the wrong texture. I prefer good old tossing it on the counter and making them by hand.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
What's the texture you're looking for? I've made homemade noodles, rolled by hand - but I've got a serious hankering to make homemade ravioli or other stuffed pasta, and have recently acquired a hand-cranked pasta machine...

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What's the texture you're looking for? I've made homemade noodles, rolled by hand - but I've got a serious hankering to make homemade ravioli or other stuffed pasta, and have recently acquired a hand-cranked pasta machine...

You're going to love that. I love mine :)

ETA: It's like bread. You find the texture that you like best. It's why it's home-made.

Last edited:

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Taiwanese noodles. That pull and slap adds a nice texture that they're famous for.

I used to make homemade noodles too with a pasta machine. Homemade is definitely tastier.

Last edited:

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Highjacking the thread to say two things: I want a duck!

Do I need one of those machines to make pasta? Is there a basic recipe that works for a novice?

I've stopped buying convenience food and am all about the fresh cooking lately... but a few things I haven't dared to do yet (make my own green curry paste, or make pasta myself, etc.)

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Highjacking the thread to say two things: I want a duck!

Do I need one of those machines to make pasta? Is there a basic recipe that works for a novice?

I've stopped buying convenience food and am all about the fresh cooking lately... but a few things I haven't dared to do yet (make my own green curry paste, or make pasta myself, etc.)
No, you don't need the machines, but they do make things easier and faster.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You don't need one of the machines - though the machines are pretty cheap (like $20 or so I think), and can be handy, especially if you don't have a lot of experience rolling out dough.

I've never done duck egg, but made a bunch of pasta, mostly without a machine.

It's really simple - flour, make a well, egg, oil, fork. I've just used basic (non-bleached, ap) flour, and whole wheat/white mix. I like to flavour too - spinach, lemon and pepper, little cayenne, olive tapenade (that one's a tad tricky, you have to drop the oil and up the flour some; once you know what pasta should feel like, it's no big), whatever.

I was into ravioli at one point - did by hand, just rolled out big sheets, dolloped a filling every couple of inches, brushed a bit of watered-down egg wash all in between lightly, laid another sheet on, press press, and used a little zigzaggy wheel cutter or knife to separate them. Put them on a cornmeal-dusted thing, even if you're making them soon.

The biggest pain in the ass about making pasta, imo, is if you want to make any ahead. Drying it takes room and, if you're doing like, fettuccinie (do not do fettuccinie), you may, I'm just surmising, end up with a broomstick suspended across chairs, covered in pasta, which can break if jostled, which then drops onto the floor, where you'll find bits when sweeping for months.

Gnocchi is also annoying, imo. Seems easy; easy dough, just roll with a fork... until you realize how many of the little suckers you get from one batch and end up making them bigger and bigger and bigger, until you're considering getting a serving fork and producing the gnocchi that ate Pittsburgh.

Last edited:

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Let's be friends. Are you making bread? You have to make bread. :)

I've made my first bread this weekend. It came out meh. So, I'll be working on that.

We ordered pizza last Saturday, because we were so good all week, everything was fresh and filled with vegetables (I used to scoff at vegetables as I ate my conveniently bought lasagna) and we thought we could treat ourselves.

We did not like that pizza. It tasted meh. We used to love ordering pizza. I never would have thought that when you start cooking from scratch, you discover that it's so much better!

@cornflake :) Thank you for all the tips! Very interesting.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Drying it takes room and, if you're doing like, fettuccinie (do not do fettuccinie), you may, I'm just surmising, end up with a broomstick suspended across chairs, .

Coat-hangers. Lots of them. In a hot Aussie summer, you can hang them on the laundry line - it dries in a day.

Agreed that making gnocchi is pointless. Actually, making pasta is pointless because the dried-and-bought is so cheap and perfectly good. Italians use it.

But pasta makers are fun. It's like play-doh, or plasticene. It's - fun!

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Coat-hangers. Lots of them. In a hot Aussie summer, you can hang them on the laundry line - it dries in a day.

Agreed that making gnocchi is pointless. Actually, making pasta is pointless because the dried-and-bought is so cheap and perfectly good. Italians use it.

But pasta makers are fun. It's like play-doh, or plasticene. It's - fun!

I never considered coat hangers. For a dog, you're quite wise - though I'd suspect you'd need be cautious with which kind? Like it seems wire ones might not support a thicker pasta?

Also, some of us do not have laundry lines.

I agree making and drying is kind of useless unless you're doing festive flavours, but fresh pasta is a whole other deal from dried. That's worth it, imo.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I never considered coat hangers. For a dog, you're quite wise - though I'd suspect you'd need be cautious with which kind? Like it seems wire ones might not support a thicker pasta?

They do - but just for a little while. Wood is better.

Also, some of us do not have laundry lines.

ah. That there - that's a thing I always forget. I asked someone on a US cooking website once why that is and he didn't respond. Why is that? Is it a sunlight thing?

I agree making and drying is kind of useless unless you're doing festive flavours, but fresh pasta is a whole other deal from dried. That's worth it, imo.
I'm not a super-taster, but I'll bow down to that. To me, there's not much difference. To super-tasters, there is. :)

Go, Mac! Make pasta! Duck egg pasta!

Last edited:

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
They do - but just for a little while. Wood is better.

ah. That there - that's a thing I always forget. I asked someone on a US cooking website once why that is and he didn't respond. Why is that? Is it a sunlight thing?

I think it's a multi-thing. There are some people that have them still. I knew people who lived in a suburb who did when I was a kid.

It's partly, I think, a space thing. Most people in the U.S. live in urban areas, and while back 100 years ago, they did run clothes lines (what they're called here, hence clothes pins), between buildings/windows, that's not mostly a thing anymore, though you occasionally can spy one in an urban area.

In upscale suburbs, people don't want them, I don't think, in a general sense, and there are many home owners' associations that ban them. They're associated in some people's minds with poverty, and having one can then be seen as 'we can't afford a dryer.' Lots of people, thus, didn't grow up with them, don't buy houses with them if they live in houses, and thus don't think to put them in. There are stand-alone things, where it's like a big umbrella but with lines you can hang from.

It's a little more in vogue now with the natural and environmentally correct aspect, but it's still rare and more rural, afaik, as in a rural area you've got space, no HOA and likely a history of such stuff.

I'm not a super-taster, but I'll bow down to that. To me, there's not much difference. To super-tasters, there is. :)

Go, Mac! Make pasta! Duck egg pasta!

I think it's the texture more than anything, except that flavouring it is better than most of the flavoured ones I've tried, save a really spendy gourmet brand one time.

Aleiarity

mostly harmless
Registered
Reaction score
I have no duck eggs. :(

or ducks.

My older sister has ducks and chickens apparently, but she lives far away.

I have a cheap pasta machine (just acquired it in July), but that's for polymer clay. I've made pasta with a rolling pin and a knife. Homemade pasta is wonderful in chicken soup if the stock is also homemade (the stuff in a carton has no soul). Unless I'm doing a red or white sauce, I'm extremely likely to add thyme. I don't know why thyme is so enthralling to me, but it smells like earth and magic.

I'm also a big fan of freshly cracked black pepper in my pasta, as well as in my pizza dough. My parents were not cooks. I grew up on pre-ground black pepper that had fossilized in the container long before it left the store shelves, and I often wondered as a child why a seasoning that smelled of adult sweat and tasted like sawdust was such a widespread addition to dinner tables.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
wonderful in chicken soup if the stock is also homemade (the stuff in a carton has no soul).

This x 100. Because why would you slaughter a dear little chicken and not use all of it. Yes to home-made stock and home-raised chickens.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Do you think I could teach my dogs to lay eggs?

(Since I'm sure they would eat the chickens.)

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
For me, it's all about experimenting with making my own filled pastas -- ravioli and tortellini and such.

And the sage in the herb bed took off in fabulous form, this year -- so there will be crispy sage leaves to garnish lovely bowls of butternut-stuffed ravioli, for instance. :D

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
For me, it's all about experimenting with making my own filled pastas -- ravioli and tortellini and such.

And the sage in the herb bed took off in fabulous form, this year -- so there will be crispy sage leaves to garnish lovely bowls of butternut-stuffed ravioli, for instance. :D
Oh yum. With the sage crisped in browned butter, my favorite type.

The trick to wonderful homemade ravioli (imo) is to get the dough rolled as thinly as possible, without reaching the point where it splits as you gently place the covering sheet over the mounds of filling and then seal them. If you are doing it by hand, this can take some experimenting. I blush to confess that I use a roller attachment powered by my Kitchenaid stand mixer to make ravioli because it seems to make the dough thinner and yet more resilient than I can do it by hand. Oh, and avoid the temptation to overfill. It's a powerful temptation (I love the filling! Just a little more would be so delicious!) because that way lies sad and broken ravioli.

calieber

Couth barbarian
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so glad I got the pasta roller. It has a ...thing for cutting spaghetti or fettucine; I also got a drying rack and a ravioli press. My baseline pasta is two eggs, 2 1/2-ish cups of flour (or semolina) and enough water that it comes together in the food processor, which gives me around a pound of dough. I haven't been brave enough to try flavors; I'm sill giddy over being able to make and fill my on ravioli.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
You could make dog stock. Just sayin'... ;

:eek:

All I've ever made is the noodles--spaghetti, linguini, and angel hair. I've got a roller and a tree-like thingy with dowels for drying the pasta. Wonderful stuff. But no experience with duck eggs.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score

That sounds wonderful! For the hand-cranked pasta you probably will want Semolina flour. I had been trying to do 100% freshly ground (yes I did it myself) whole wheat. It doesn't make great pasta.

But semolina makes a wonderful smooth texture and it allows you to make it thinner as well.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Gnocchi is also annoying, imo. Seems easy; easy dough, just roll with a fork... until you realize how many of the little suckers you get from one batch and end up making them bigger and bigger and bigger, until you're considering getting a serving fork and producing the gnocchi that ate Pittsburgh.
I'm sorry but I just had to do this....:roll:

So true it's terrifying!

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
That sounds wonderful! For the hand-cranked pasta you probably will want Semolina flour. I had been trying to do 100% freshly ground (yes I did it myself) whole wheat. It doesn't make great pasta.

But semolina makes a wonderful smooth texture and it allows you to make it thinner as well.

In my experience, for home stuff, whole wheat pasta is like whole wheat bread - you need to mix with 'white' (or semolina or durham or whatever). Same as commercial bread-makers make 100% whole wheat only by adding extra risers and such, pasta makers use stuff to bring the texture to where it should be and develop the gluten. If you're not doing that, try half and half with the flour - you'll get the whole wheat texture and taste but it'll still be pasta-y.