Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
JS! I love "gate lice." I knew there was a name for those gate crowders!

Thanks for all the kind words and good tidings, guys. Really.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Kansas!

BTW, I also love gate lice, but I think #hashtag is a pretty good pick for 2012 WOY!

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a fun conference. Are you part of the Linguistic Society of America or the American Dialect Society? I want to join. LOL.

Yesterday I figured out how to put SCBWI bling on my blog.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I'm hoping to start a new short story tonight. It may or may not be in my little collection.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on your book's release, Kansas! :hooray:

I totally have a love-hate relationship with queries. I love querying, except when I'm doing it ;)

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
I listen to them too. I get them from the library. They now have these really cool MP3 books (but it's a bitch if you lose them. It's like $130 if you do!). Very convenient to just plug in earphones or plug into my car. I also have an app that allows me to get them from the library which is great if I want to listen to them on my MP3 or my iphone. And they have many on cds as well (in fact, most probably).

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
I have slutty new ideas too, but I have to get down the ones I have in motion first. I keep notebooks for stuff like that.

One tip I learned in the last year....write your synopsis (or book jacket cover) first. It makes it easier if it is ever picked up and for query letters and helps keep you focused in your writing.

I HATE the book cover copy on my book. Could ANY of those editors keep me from being so damned repetitive? I cringe when people read the back cover in front of me. Please, don't.

I went to the library today to donate a copy of my book, hoping they would put it in circulation. My publisher is small and not in that library fold. The lady at the information desk knew me (small town). She was waiting for me to come in. I hope it really makes it on the shelves, because I know of people who want to borrow it from the library.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, JK.

How is everyone else doing?

I'm just waiting for a deliverey, watching TV and working on my essay.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning,ya'll!

Congrats,Kansas!

I have an editor finally and feel quite good about my choice. Things are going pretty well and I am becoming drunk with power,lol.

Satan Goes To High School is done. I just have to change the title. My Nano novel is halfway done and awaits revision. I plan on churning YA novels out for the rest of the year. It should be interesting!

Good luck and happy writing to you all!

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
Morning, Dragon and Lisa!

Today is a shoulder-to-the-wheel day for me...have to finish (by which I mean, start) my syllabus for class tomorrow. At least I know what we're going to do on the first day: make snowflakes for Sandy Hook. :) Because why shouldn't a sophomore/junior level college course get to do crafts?

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Sketching out a particular little character for Magic&Meru. The whole sketching thing is kicking my butt! Uhg.

nightowling

Maybe it was Utah.
Registered
Reaction score
Hope everyone is having a good day so far!

One tip I learned in the last year....write your synopsis (or book jacket cover) first. It makes it easier if it is ever picked up and for query letters and helps keep you focused in your writing.

Yes, I'm in the process of outlining and reading some books on writing, and that includes writing a synopsis and a book jacket cover. It's helpful.

I have an editor finally and feel quite good about my choice. Things are going pretty well and I am becoming drunk with power,lol.

yay!

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea what to work on tonight: a short story or Paragon Academy.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score

WooHoo! Oh to be drunk with power. (Oh to have an editor...) :)

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
My phone doesn't seem to like giving me Twitter notifications. Gah. What if I get something when I'm out tomorrow? ><

Dorothy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dorothydreyer.wordpress.com
I write my queries first too, before I write the book. Actually, I didn't do it for the first book I wrote. Never did perfect that query. Doesn't matter now (unless I revive and revise that book). But writing the query helps me see if I actually have a unique-enough idea.

I just spent two hours writing. Added 1K to my WIP. I really need to keep on schedule. My deadline is coming up fast.

To answer your question, Lisa: I think a 1K a day goal is pretty normal. Not that I'm able to stick to that, but I try.

Kansas's book is very good. I'm reading the sequel already! ;)

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't do a query letter for Paragon Academy before I started writing it, but I did for Stupid Cupid. I can't remember about the other novels in my siggy.

Status
Not open for further replies.