Space Marine and Dragonwrangler Bar & Grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
It seems every day I'm here I encounter a new reason to never have children.

Seeing as how you only sleep with men, I think it's not something you're going to have to be concerned about. ;)

Morning, folks. Not feeling the Burning Need to Write Today. I'm thinking a reading binge would be a good way to spend the day. What do you think?

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Morning, folks. Not feeling the Burning Need to Write Today. I'm thinking a reading binge would be a good way to spend the day. What do you think?

I need to write, I've done -17 words so far, that totally counts. I mean I was manipulating the vocabulary right? *Attempts to justify absolutely anything*

Please could you do the reading for me Junely? Just read something, tell me what you read and what opinion I should have and then I'll feel so virtuous.

Hey, hold on a minute. Isn't this Garfield from a couple of days ago?

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
But I also have a problem deciding which of those three to read first. My options are:
1) The Gunslinger
2) American Gods
3) Judas Unchained

So many good books to read and not enough time. :gaah:

I haven't read the last one. I'd start with the Neil Gaiman, because once you start with the Stephen King, you might well want to read on. On a useful note, the later books in that Gunslinger series also have extra useful bits about how he went about writing them and putting them together. I think he rewrote the first one so you may have extras in that as well.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Angel could adopt. That's totally possible in this country.

True. He can adopt here, too, though I understand it can get complicated. But somehow I'm doubting he'll ever have to do the "Oh, God, I slept with that guy, I don't even know his name, and I'm not entirely sure I took my birth control last month" dance.

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
True. He can adopt here, too, though I understand it can get complicated. But somehow I'm doubting he'll ever have to do the "Oh, God, I slept with that guy, I don't even know his name, and I'm not entirely sure I took my birth control last month" dance.
True, this will never happen for me. And I'd never accidentally sleep with a woman either because the amount of alcohol I'd need in my system for that to happen would be enough to ensure I'm incapable of doing just about anything. :D

But yeah, adoption can happen. But if I did that it'd be when I'm significantly older and more responsible and in a proper, committed relationship. So basically for me to adopt I'd need to be the exact opposite of what I am now. :)

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
But yeah, adoption can happen. But if I did that it'd be when I'm significantly older and more responsible and in a proper, committed relationship. So basically for me to adopt I'd need to be the exact opposite of what I am now. :)

For what it's worth, in my limited experience of parents, you'd probably make a very good one because you consider consequences. A lot of parents who lack parenting skills don't do this.

*Tars with brush*

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
For what it's worth, in my limited experience of parents, you'd probably make a very good one because you consider consequences. A lot of parents who lack parenting skills don't do this.
If you think I'd be a good parent... I worry about your standards in terms of parenting. I'd be a terrible parent, trust me. I can barely look after myself.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
If you think I'd be a good parent... I worry about your standards in terms of parenting. I'd be a terrible parent, trust me. I can barely look after myself.

Precisely my point. You have standards. Anyway, there's no such thing as the perfect parent, and having someone else to look after in life gives you an entirely different perspective on your own life.

I have to go do wordz now. -17 isn't going to cut it.

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
Precisely my point. You have standards. Anyway, there's no such thing as the perfect parent, and having someone else to look after in life gives you an entirely different perspective on your own life.
There may not be a perfect parent, but there are terrible or incompetent ones. Which is what I would be. :)

Now 200 up. This is better.
:partyguy:

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

This happens with age.

:D

That said, children aren't a box to tick off on the list of life's accomplishments. So while yes, if you want kids, adoption is a perfectly good option - if even after you get older and responsible and are committed (in a relationship, not an asylum) - make sure you really want them, and if you don't ... don't.

:)

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
Frankly at this point being committed to an asylum seems more likely than being committed to another human being.

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
Well that gives an insight into what kind of person you are that you think relationships and insane asylums are similar. :D

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
<snip>
It seems to be mostly his wider family, who just LOVE a bit of a scandal and will gossip about anything, and gave his mum a hard time about letting her son marry some foreign girl because BLAH BLAH WE LOVE GOSSIPING AND MAKING SCANDAL OUT OF NOTHING BLAH. Fortunately she didn't listen to any of it and told him to do what he wants. :yessmiley

Drama Llamas in real life might be worse than the ones online. :) But if it doesn't bother you, then good.

Read. That's what I'll be doing. It's one of those days where I'm glad Baby K still eats every 2 hours. Gives me lots of time and excuses to read. ;)

I haven't read the last one. I'd start with the Neil Gaiman, because once you start with the Stephen King, you might well want to read on. On a useful note, the later books in that Gunslinger series also have extra useful bits about how he went about writing them and putting them together. I think he rewrote the first one so you may have extras in that as well.

Oooo, Stephen King does sound good. And the last one is a sequel I've been looking forward to because the first one ended in a literal cliff hanger.

Homosexuality: Most cost effective birth control there is. And unlike condoms, it's 100% effective. :D

:roll:

:banana:

Now 200 up. This is better.

:snoopy: Word Dance!

The two are often indistinguishable from each other, if you ask me.

:D

Truth, so much truth. :D

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Morning people. Off to the write-in. Will come in here periodically to bore you all to death with mundane chatter. :D

RA, you might make a bad parent now. But in 20 years you might make an awesome parent. Gods and goddesses know I don't have to look far from home to find people with multiple kids who should never have had any. But the worst parents want kids. Desperately. They view their kids as an extension of themselves as opposed to real human beings. They pick out their kids' personalities before they're born and then react badly when the kids don't grow to fit the mold.

The second-worst type of parents also desperately want kids. Or rather, they desperately want their banging to produce kids. Once the children are actually born they don't give a crap about what kind of people the young'uns turn into. They had 15 babies! Mission accomplished! Who cares what happens now! Most (not all) of this kind of parent will feed and clothe and maybe try to discipline their kids, but their defininhg characteristic is they don't spend as much time, effort and thought on parenting as it actually requires.

Unlike Bos, I do not think responsibility necessarily comes with age. There are some 40-year-olds I wouldn't ask to watch my purse (if I were the kind of girl who carried one), let alone my kids. It frequently comes with age, but there are a lot of exceptions.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
And Good Morning again!

I guess I'm up for the day now. I actually have to get myself and the kids dressed today because we're going to a new friend's house for dinner. No laying around in PJ's all day.

Now, to find food.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Raven speaks truth.

I'm more willing to encourage people not having kids than anything. I don't regret having mine, but it is a lot harder than I thought it would be when I first talked Mr. K into making one with me.

It's not a decision to be taken lightly. Children aren't like puppies. You can't just drop them off at the shelter because they peed on the carpet and chew on the furniture. (and kids will do that too)

Status
Not open for further replies.