amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
:hi: Back from taking my BFF to lunch and seeing Les Mis for her birthday.

I cried at the end. *sniff* Worth the price of admission, IMO. I didn't know Hugh Jackman could sing, but apparently he's done stage musical performances and has a Tony, so... the more you know!

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Chase style Australian and posh British accents are so sexy.

Not that I mind American ones. There's a fair amount of variety.
British accents are always hot. Well, the more sophisticated ones anyway. Cockney comes off as so whiny.

We have a pretty unique accent here in Pittsburgh. I can't hear it in myself, but definitely in others.

I cried at the end. *sniff* Worth the price of admission, IMO. I didn't know Hugh Jackman could sing, but apparently he's done stage musical performances and has a Tony, so... the more you know!
Yep. He starred in The Boy From Oz on Broadway.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Everybody always tells me that Southern accents are sexy. I don't see it myself, at least not in men. British accents, any flavor, are sexy. A German accent is either sexy or campy, depends. French puts me right off, same with Italian; it sounds oily and sleazy to me.

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
Everybody always tells me that Southern accents are sexy. I don't see it myself, at least not in men. British accents, any flavor, are sexy. A German accent is either sexy or campy, depends. French puts me right off, same with Italian; it sounds oily and sleazy to me.
Southern accents sound good on women (with exceptions, obviously), but on men it sounds like every guy you want to avoid for dear life at a bar.

British accents... a lot are quite appealing, but some really aren't. It does depend on the person, not just where they were raised. Some posh British accents sound like having someone make love to your ear wearing a condom made of velvet, others make you want to slap whoever's responsible for producing it.

French accents... I love the French language, but French accents speaking English? Just no. And French accents speaking German is just pure hilarity, it must be said.

I do love me an Irish though. But only a softer one, not a full on harsh leprechaun voice.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Google "Brummie accent".

:popcorn:

Birmingham? I like it. I like a Yorkshire, as well; it was the first Brit accent I ever heard in real life (my granny's neighbor). Any of the more northern/rural accents appeal.

Maybe it's that "bit of rough" mentality? :e2brows:

BUT! I have to qualify my response: this only applies to men. Just like Southern accents sound stupid and menacing on men, the northern Brit accents sounds shrill and irritating on women. Total nails on a chalkboard.

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Southern accents sound good on women (with exceptions, obviously), but on men it sounds like every guy you want to avoid for dear life at a bar.

British accents... a lot are quite appealing, but some really aren't. It does depend on the person, not just where they were raised. Some posh British accents sound like having someone make love to your ear wearing a condom made of velvet, others make you want to slap whoever's responsible for producing it.

French accents... I love the French language, but French accents speaking English? Just no. And French accents speaking German is just pure hilarity, it must be said.

I do love me an Irish though. But only a softer one, not a full on harsh leprechaun voice.

Ooh... Irish accents are nice. <3

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Rhett Butler sounds stupid and menacing...

*reevaluates everything about Gone With The Wind*

Clark Gable can't do a Southern accent any better than I could speak Tagalog.

DO NOT TRUST the southern accents you hear actors do; by and large, they suck suck suck.

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
DO NOT TRUST the southern accents you hear actors do; by and large, they suck suck suck.
So the actors lie? Who'd have thought... do Southern people still say "y'all" though? Because without that my only truly non-offensive stereotype of the South essentially means nothing.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
So the actors lie? Who'd have thought... do Southern people still say "y'all" though? Because without that my only truly non-offensive stereotype of the South essentially means nothing.

Oh, surely. The English language should thank us! There was no pronoun for the plural "you," until we came up with one!

:D

Reaction score
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com

Lots of Americans say "y'all". I do it all the time when I'm not paying attention. For the record I live in Misery. I have a friend from Oklahoma who does it as well. That's hardly even considered the South.

Reaction score
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
I think to most of us yankees Misery and OK are considered the South....y'all

HELL NAW! Midwest all the way. (Technically OK is a Western state?)

Here's a funny video I found of an English voice coach trying to teach a Southern accent. To me it sounds very exaggerated and stereotypical. Perhaps some true Southerners can weigh in?

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Oh, surely. The English language should thank us! There was no pronoun for the plural "you," until we came up with one!

Well, there's Yinz.

Actually, there was ye (as opposed to thou) in early modern English. But we ditched that with thou, thee, thy, and thine.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
HELL NAW! Midwest all the way. (Technically OK is a Western state?)

Here's a funny video I found of an English voice coach trying to teach a Southern accent. To me it sounds very exaggerated and stereotypical. Perhaps some true Southerners can weigh in?

He sounds like a Georgian (or Carolinian) who's trying way too damned hard. He's definitely exaggerated. But for his purpose, I can see why.

I still like this video as an lovely explanation of the differences between the various southerns accents (even though this guy is also exaggerating, for comedy purposes).

Status
Not open for further replies.