Editing my manuscript, feeling like it's all fallen apart

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidTShank

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davidtshank.com
I have a 65k word manuscript that I'm editing. It's not too long, so I've been flying through it. I'm still in the "marking up the hard copy" stage, so I haven't made any changes to the document, but I've found a lot of big problems near the end.

First off, I introduced five characters all at once. I really regret this decision, but I can combine them down to one character. Thing is, I'm overwhelmed by the process to come.

There's also a big part of the story early on that I feel like should be brought up later and actually be worth something to the story. The main character is told to avoid something, so surely, as a writer, my responsibility is to make sure he's unable to avoid that something, right?

I also have an issue with a part where nothing happens because something should happen. I need to throw Murphy's Law at this story. But that's probably going to require a new chapter, and it's definitely going to change a portion of the chapter after it.

That's basically it. I'm just overwhelmed. I think I can do it, but it's really going to be a pain.

Silver lining, I suppose, is that things I've heard from others about how editing a manuscript will help in writing my next novel is true. I'm definitely seeing where I made mistakes in the story, mistakes which could have been corrected in the actual writing of the novel. I'll definitely plan better next time.

How do you deal with these kinds of problems?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Well, first of all, congratulations on recognizing and being willing to make these major revision needs. That is a huge success.

For the combining of several characters into one, I personally suggest (because it works for me, ymmv) working in a different document (or by hand) while you rewrite the chapters. You'll leave the original unaltered, and that will let you to refer to it or copy it where needed, but also should let you feel freer to make changes to what you already had.

These kinds of revisions are overwhelming, but you can make them. Good luck!

DavidTShank

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davidtshank.com
Well, first of all, congratulations on recognizing and being willing to make these major revision needs. That is a huge success.

For the combining of several characters into one, I personally suggest (because it works for me, ymmv) working in a different document (or by hand) while you rewrite the chapters. You'll leave the original unaltered, and that will let you to refer to it or copy it where needed, but also should let you feel freer to make changes to what you already had.

These kinds of revisions are overwhelming, but you can make them. Good luck!

Thanks for the kind words :)

Your method sounds good, actually. Writing the scenes from scratch would probably be much less of a headache than having to change every mention of each of the different chapters, and then I also don't have to worry about missing anything. I could just imagine feeling like an idiot when I read back later and a character who doesn't exist says a line randomly lol.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the fact that I completely forgot an important character for a large part of a chapter. Mostly because of the addition of so many characters at once, I suppose. That's gonna be a fun one to fix.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree, the changes you want to make are beyond the purview of an edit and constitute a major revision, most easily done with a rewrite.

If it were me, I'd consider writing a synopsis of 500 - 1500 words first, so I have it straight in my mind what happens in what order and when that amalgam character comes in, and all the other details. Or an outline or other plan. (But the synopsis you'll need in the future anyway, so why not?)

Then, again in agreement, I'd start a new document which makes those big changes. I can copy chunks of the earlier version into it, but I can also write new or drastically revise, without "damaging" my previous draft.

Maryn, who keeps each draft separate

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I second the ideas of writing a new document and of writing a synopsis.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Then, again in agreement, I'd start a new document which makes those big changes. I can copy chunks of the earlier version into it, but I can also write new or drastically revise, without "damaging" my previous draft.

Yep, this is how I'm dealing with my huge revision this time around. Last time it made sense to only work within the chapters that needed changing. This time around I opened a new document and started from scratch, copying over scenes that only had minimal changes and rewriting scenes or writing new scenes as I come to where they're needed.

For this kind of thing, I'm finding Scrivener very helpful as well.

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
OP, you've kinda touched on the answer yourself. Not everything you write is going to require such an intensive rewrite. You will learn lessons with this book that will stick with you during the next. That book will have a whole new slew of issues that you will learn about before you write the third one, and so on.

I think it can be a mistake to write early works with publishing in mind. Like everything worth doing well, it takes practice. An artist who paints a first picture might redo the entire thing to incorporate the lessons they learned, but they are more likely to paint a new picture, and then another, and another. They will have years of work stacked up before they think about having a gallery show.

Me, I wrote three novel length stories, several novellas, and a whole slew of short stories before I wrote something with the aim of getting it published. The editing on the first publishable one is nothing like the editing that would have to happen to my first novel length story ever. Nor do I have any desire to go back to those early works and do the sort of intense and complete rewrite it would take to get that first story up to snuff.

By all means, edit your story as you wish. Just remember that it isn't always going to be this hard!

DavidTShank

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davidtshank.com
This is my third completed manuscript. I also had something technically of novel length that I wrote before the first finished one, but we do not speak of that one. The one before this, I kinda thought I might seek publication for, but the story fell short for me when I tried to continue it. The one before that I thought I might seek publication for, but I know much better now and I don't have such high hopes for it anymore.

This one, however, I put a lot of work into, and I've also been doing lots of research on writing, editing, etc. This one I wrote with the express idea of making something publishable. Maybe it won't get published, but it will be a well-crafted story when I'm done with it if it kills me. And when I'm done editing it, then I'll write my next piece, which will be planned and written even better than this one.

Purplehershey

Registered
Reaction score
I completely relate to this post right now. I had a manuscript that I was overwhelmingly excited for as I was writing it. Now that the first draft is done I was faced with the nightmarish question: wait....does it even have a plot?

My advice to you is to have someone read it. Despite not being fully confident in it I shoved it in a friend's hands and told them to go to town. While I'm not saying they'll hand it back and tell you it's perfect, the change in perspective can make some problems seem immediately simple.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
First of all, you should congratulate yourself for having spotted these difficulties. That is huge, and it says good things about you as a writer and storyteller.

Second, revising is not a pain! Or it shouldn't be. There is enormous satisfaction to be found in improving a story. It's something to be excited about, not dread. You're going to turn something rough and dysfunctional into a potentially publishable story. That is an extraordinarily rewarding process.

DavidTShank

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davidtshank.com
First of all, you should congratulate yourself for having spotted these difficulties. That is huge, and it says good things about you as a writer and storyteller.

Second, revising is not a pain! Or it shouldn't be. There is enormous satisfaction to be found in improving a story. It's something to be excited about, not dread. You're going to turn something rough and dysfunctional into a potentially publishable story. That is an extraordinarily rewarding process.

I really appreciate this.

See, I actually was feeling quite uplifted during the first half of the book while editing it. I caught buried guns to add in later, certain threads that ended that should either be removed completely or resolved later, and so on. It looked like it was shaping up to be a pretty simple fix.

It's this second half where things get complicated. I think it might be a result of me changing the direction of the story, somewhat. It doesn't help that there's a bit of deus ex machina creeping in.

If it were me, I'd consider writing a synopsis of 500 - 1500 words first, so I have it straight in my mind what happens in what order and when that amalgam character comes in, and all the other details. Or an outline or other plan. (But the synopsis you'll need in the future anyway, so why not?)

I will definitely be trying this, though maybe not until after I've gone through this first edit cycle. I've already gotten through eleven of fifteen chapters, so I might as well just bang it out until the end, see what I have, and then figure out how it can be molded differently.

Thanks to everyone for helping so much :)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
When I edit books (which I have done for a living), I read through the ms and make notes as I go. I don't work with chapters, I work with scenes: so I'll write things like, "scene 3 chapter 2 doesn't fit here", or "scene x needs to explain things more fully", and so on. I end up with a list of things which need addressing: some large, and some small.

Once I'm done I look at all my notes, and decide what the most significant change is, and I go and make it.

I work through the list, making sure that as I make changes I deal with all the implications of that change too: so when two or more characters are merged into one, for example, I make sure that I check every scene in which they appear or are referred to, so that I can be sure it's all taken care of. And then I can cross another item off my list.

It's daunting at first, as the changes are so big. But the more I do, the quicker it goes, because the changes become easier and easier.

I prefer to work with a paper copy at this stage: and then when I'm done I leave the original computer file untouched, and work with a copy of it so I always have that to revert to if needed. As I type up my many, many changes I always find more things to change.

When it's all typed up I leave it alone for a few days, then read it through again and produce another list of issues, and so it goes until it's done.

This works for me. It might not work for you. But yes, it does feel daunting and yes, you can do it if you don't sabotage yourself by worrying about it. Good luck.

HeavyAirship

Aboard my phaneron.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation. I finished my first novel length story and realized I needed to completely redo the first three of four chapters. I got started but a few thousand words in I felt I was just rewriting for the sake of rewriting, I had no more understanding of the story than when I first started writing. I haven't touched the story in probably a month but you know what, my story isn't any closer to getting finished and I haven't learned anything new by not rewriting. If it helps, prepare a reward for yourself that you can only claim after you've finished this edit. It's good to know that other authors are having this problem too.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I totally relate to this thread. As others have said, the hard part is understanding what needs to be fixed. You've done that!

My MS is 96K and I'm doing pretty much the same thing. I've killed off entire sub plots and minor characters, made a bad guy a good guy in disguise and deleted an entire venue, all told I deleted nearly as many words as I originally wrote then wrote all new ones. I did canabalize a lot of the old MS, but most was new. And I know when I'm done this will be a we first draft and I'll ha e to go back and edit it. So yeah I understand the frustration.

Just keep going, it gets better.

Dave.C.Robinson

... with the High Command
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daverobinsonwrites.com
I'm in a similar situation. I finished my first novel length story and realized I needed to completely redo the first three of four chapters. I got started but a few thousand words in I felt I was just rewriting for the sake of rewriting, I had no more understanding of the story than when I first started writing. I haven't touched the story in probably a month but you know what, my story isn't any closer to getting finished and I haven't learned anything new by not rewriting. If it helps, prepare a reward for yourself that you can only claim after you've finished this edit. It's good to know that other authors are having this problem too.

This is one reason I like using Scrivener or similar programs for editing/revising. For me, the complete rewrite works for scenes but not for the whole story because I get caught up in rewriting the scene itself rather than addressing the issues.

By working with a scene management program I can work on the problems within the story without getting caught up in the rewriting. It helps me address specific issues and breaks the work up into manageable chunks - I'm not rewriting an entire novel, I'm fixing this scene.

Hope this helps.

Andrea Rittschof

Registered
Reaction score
Let me say, completely understand the frustration. Similar situation for me as well. And it is new to me as well. I'm learning more each time I work on a project. I'm rewriting and revising a large chunk of my novel. However, there are some good points in the suggestions. First, if you didn't put it away for a while, do so after you edit. You may find your ideas change when you've gotten some distance. I don't know if you did it but it helps me. What I am doing is much the same but I plan to rewrite several scenes, adding in and cutting while also changing the direction of the story somewhat. I'm keeping my changes in a new document, cut scenes all by themselves so I can add them back in as needed later. I like using the side by side function in word as I'm rewriting, let's me check my changes. I also plan to put together an outline so I can keep my scenes in order and keep track of the direction the novel is headed in. It sounds like you have some good clues as to what you need to do. Good luck!

Readable Joe

Registered
Reaction score
The only thing I have to say is that I'm about 2/3 of the way through my first draft and I know I won't have a story anyone can read until the 3rd draft.

It's just the way it goes, I think. The editing is just as important as the writing. The first draft is the mining of a gemstone. But it's just an unappealing hunk of rock, pretty dull and caked with dirt. The subsequent drafts, edits and rewrites cut and polish that thing into something worth reading, or setting into a ring or something. It's a metaphor.

Last edited:

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I keep lists of stuff to focus on. I read the list before I start working and go through the manuscript in order. As I work, I'll make notes for other changes I see I'll need. For example, ways to strengthen a characters individual story arc. I'll glance at that whenever the name comes up as I go.

I do make some changes throughout. If I cut a character, I'll use the search function to find all of the times the name is referenced and rewrite those scenes.

I always have beta reader look the manuscript over after I do, and I always read it again before sending the first query. No matter ho thorough I think I've been, I'll miss something the first couple of times through.

lise8

Registered
Reaction score
As my tag line indicates, I am on the same boat!

BethS, I see what you mean, but you are a confident writer, so I can imagine perfecting your already great style might be pleasant for you. When it means editing the long list of 'beginner's' errors I have made, it is less so.

Three ideas:
1- if you need to remove a character or place, do a word search in Words and see where the names you want to eradicate are, it might help.
2- I would second writing a synopsis (reputedly a nightmare to write), or at least a timeline/ skeleton of your story so that you know exactly where you are in the story and where you are going with it. I had a shuffle some of my scenes, and it really helped. It also mean you can hop along to the scenes you want to work on rather than have to edit linearly.
3- save each reworked version with the date of the last change, so that you keep all the versions of your work, this way, were you ever to change your mind, you have the previous versions to fall back on. It makes for large folders, but I believe it is well worth it. (but then, I am a bit of a hoarder in real life, so take that advice with the proverbial pinch of salt!)

All the best, may we all stay sane through the editing and redrafting swamp!

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
If you've got the brains and the persistence to write a draft you can do the editing. Yes, it's a different skill, but you learn by doing. Anything to do with writing a novel feels big and unwieldy at first, but you break it down into smaller chunks and chip away until it's done. You didn't write your 65k draft in a day, you did 1000 words a day, or whatever, but kept at it and got to the end. You'll do the same with the editing.

Taking the book to bits and putting it back together is intimidating at first. I've done some major restructuring before and there'll be points where you feel like you're holding a hundred loose threads in your hand and somehow have to make a tapestry of them. It's scary and you'll have to break the story even more than it's broken at the moment before it works again. But that's okay. It's part of the process.

If I've got that kind of editing to do I stick with the big picture view of it before I start marking up and line editing. I make an editing outline that I can rearrange, and make notes about what changes I have to make to scenes once they are moved, or to take account of another scene that's moved. Then I rearrange the manuscript, write any new scenes, add notes to or even do some rough editing of scenes that will have big changes. After that I choose (or re-choose) where chapters start and end. Only then do I finally start line editing and actually making the changes that will make this rearranged draft make sense, using my notes on my outline and draft as a guide to what to do.

Breaking it down that way makes it less intimidating and avoids going around in circles too much! But there is definitely a phase in the middle when I have a very broken story that probably has dead people coming back to life with no explanation and people making journeys in a minus number of hours and stuff.

Last edited:

Lonegungrrly

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's great that you've actually figured out how to improve it and have that clarity. after that, the doing should be easy! good luck!!

I'd second (third fourth?) writing up a mock synopsis or even a query letter, just so you know the story inside out in its most condensed form. I did this recently when I was stuck, and what do you know? I didn't have an ending that was even remotely satisfying, and the query letter really highlighted it!

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the midst of a second draft and first of all, I took a break so I could look at it with fresh eyes, though I already knew what needed fixing.

Then I started a new document and copy-pasted the first chapter. Worked on that until I was satisfied, then the next ... always with a mind to three things - is each one moving the story towards where I want it to go, is there enough conflict in each scene and is there enough of a hint of something more to come. In later scenes the latter changes to making sure it connects well to the earlier scenes.

DavidTShank

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davidtshank.com
An update:

I've finished marking up the hard copy. I haven't written up a synopsis yet, but that will be my next activity.

I've pretty much drawn X's through two or three chapters, and I'm completely changing the means by which the characters arrive at the end. I like the last two chapters, still. Those only need a little bit of expansion and reworking.

But for about four chapters, there are huge changes that need to be made. I'm also making a character appear earlier in the story. That's going to be the biggest pain to fix, especially trying to figure out where to put him.

As at least one of you suggested, I'm considering sending this to a beta-reader or two a bit early, just to see if they find the same problems and believe the fixes I want to make would do the story justice. I guess they'd technically be alpha-readers though, huh? The only thing that makes me a little hesitant to do this is the fact that I don't want to annoy them by making them read it twice - once now and once after I've done the major revisions. I can entice them with a free copy of it if it's published, I'm sure - the two I'm thinking of are close friends.

I don't want to be stuck editing this for too long. However, as I and others have already said in here, I'm learning from this process, and I should know better how to plan and write my next novel(s) so that I can avoid a lot of these same issues from popping up again.

Thanks, everyone for all of your advice and support :D

Last edited:

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Well, GS, I hope this method works for you! :)

My first thought was, yeesh, he's trying to do all that on a hard copy? Big re-arrangements and rewrites are hard to do that way, in my experience. (I've had experience--I've restructured and/or rewritten my one WIP so many times I may actually hate it at this point.) Two things I learned to do: though use a new document in Word to make the actual changes, I used sticky notes with short scene tags to arrange and rearrange the structure. I call it my plot wall. It's hard to see the story and its pattern when it's a hunk of text, but sticking the scenes to a wall and shuffling them around makes it much, much easier, at least for me. Second, multiple passes. I usually come to the end of a draft knowing x, y, and z need work. I go in, change them, and then do a read-through with the intent of smoothing things out (continuity-wise). The more times I read through the ms as a whole, the better; flow (pacing, etc) is very important after you've been making big changes to the plot.

Velvet27

Registered
Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my book. I wrote the first draft in a third person narrative, but something wasn't sitting right with that. After a great deal of thought, I realized I had to make a major change - to first person.

As it's my first complete novel, I was really feeling myself through the whole process of plotting and writing and how it all worked. It was and is a huge learning process. I know that my next novel will be a lot easier from the planning and execution side, because I've learned so much this time around.

Anyway, I ended up also having three major scene rewrites to do with the change of perspective. In the end though, it felt right. Making those changes were the right thing to do, and I think that sometimes you just have to go with your gut on these things.

Feedback from my beta readers is helping me making a few more changes for what will hopefully be my last round of edits, so that could be a good decision for you?

My notes have grown and evolved through the process, but something that has helped me with the pacing and character interactions is a timeline. It's a great way to keep track of everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.