What Genre Would/Could This Fit Under?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren Frey

Banned
Reaction score
I am working on a story about a boy in his late teens who has just graduated high school and is taking the summer to go on a journey of self discovery. The story deals with the realities of being an 18 year old in today's society without being held back by parents from doing what he wants. His journey will take him many miles and through many states falling into the world of personal freedom and the excesses never available to him before.

I would consider this story a drama/adventure but I am thinking neither of those are actual genres of storytelling. If this were to be put into the form of a novel what genre could it fall under?

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
YA Contemporary. Or perhaps Adult, but I wouldn't put it into NA--as it probably should--as the market is over-saturated with super sexy college romances.

Last edited:

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Adventure is indeed a category. YA, adfult and NA indicate the age group of the audience. Hopefully, NA will broaden from the college romance to include more. Which this story fits best in will depend on voice. It sounds YA or NA to me because of the coming of age, self discovery aspect. Perhaps post a section in SYW and see what the knowledgeable say.

startraveller

Registered
Reaction score
YA Contemporary. Or perhaps Adult, but I wouldn't put it into NA--as it probably should--as the market is over-saturated with super sexy college romances.
But how then does one break the curse?

--

Your story is definitely New Adult since it takes place after high school and emphasizes the experience of being a new adult. Since NA is still pretty small, and saturated like Osulagh said, you could probably find a place for it in YA or Adult contemporary lit. YA's going to require a couple of padded corners though, less room to breath when discussing sex, drugs, excessive swearing, and taxes or something. Adult contemporary lit will get you anywhere and about as messy as you want to go. Considering your character is rebelling against their parents, I'd probably nix the YA option unless they have an epiphany about their parents not being constrictive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.