Status
Not open for further replies.

soho-syndrome

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Hi guys,

About a year or so back I was trying to find sites/communities that wrote manga novels like I do. Don't get me wrong; I don't write script style for panel rendering like what I've come to know as the 'understood' terminology for manga novel.

I guess this post is for all you writers out there who like or have been influenced by anime/manga. You could say I first started writing because I was inspired by anime fanfiction (the ones with character reflections have always been my favorite). My style has turned out to be with all the other traditional elements of a novel but with the pacing of a series/show.

While not always, most of my settings are in Japan. The characters have Japanese names and emulate Japanese culture and beliefs. I was beginning to wonder if maybe this could be like a sub-genre, because if anime and cartoons are not considered the same even though they are both kinds of animation, who's to say manga novels can't follow that logic?

Having said that, it's not so much the background of the setting/characters but I guess the overall style/format of the writing. Any thoughts, you guys? :)

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a little confused. Are you talking about writing and drawing a manga, being inspired by anime/manga, or writing Light Novels?

Do you mean you are inspired by Japanese storytelling and culture? Or are you more interested in character-driven (or slice of life) stories, or anime/manga pacing and storytelling, with the inclusion of Japanese settings and cultures?

I think the type of book you are asking for would probably be Light Novels?

If not, then it could be character-driven fiction or literary fiction, only more focused on a Japanese setting?

I myself don't write Japanese settings, but I do enjoy some of various types of storytelling, including the slice-of-life storytelling in some anime and manga.

Last edited:

soho-syndrome

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
I'm a little confused. Are you talking about writing and drawing a manga, being inspired by anime/manga, or writing Light Novels?

Do you mean you are inspired by Japanese storytelling and culture? Or are you more interested in character-driven (or slice of life) stories, or anime/manga pacing and storytelling, with the inclusion of Japanese settings and cultures?

I think the type of book you are asking for would probably be Light Novels?

If not, then it could be character-driven fiction or literary fiction, only more focused on a Japanese setting?

I myself don't write Japanese settings, but I do enjoy some of various types of storytelling, including the slice-of-life storytelling in some anime and manga.

No, I don't write with the intention to draw. And no, I wouldn't consider it a light novel either because I write long, multi-chaptered stories like a regular novel. Slice-of-life wouldn't be the term for it either, because I dabble in major genres like fantasy, adventure, romance, etc.

It's just like... watching a TV show but reading it in novel form is more of what I am trying to say, I guess. In this case, the type of show just happens to be anime, and the story is typical to that of similar anime plots done in the past. Does that make sense? D:

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
I think you're trying to mix together things that can't be mixed together to explain something.

Manga (漫画) is the word in Japanese for cartoon-styled or comics.
Is it not a genre, but a medium.

This is like saying "Comic Novel" which doesn't make sense.
Now there's graphic novels in the west, but that's not what we're looking at here.

Anime (アニメ) is the shortened word for animation in Japanese--because they like to shorten all kind of things for some reason.
Anime is what we would call cartoons, because we don't call Disney and Pixar movies animations. Sounds weird doesn't it?

The closest thing to a manga-styled story that you can get is Light Novels. Now, Light Novels are shorter and written differently because the market and readership in Japan is geared more for that. Most Japanese "novels" are rather short compared to western novels for many different reasons.
There are some translated Light Novels making their way over to the west, but I haven't come across a western light novel. And for good reason; western and eastern tastes differ greatly. Light novels are geared almost exclusively towards a certain demographic in Japan that is not shared by even 1% of the west.

Does this all mean you can't have something inspired by Japanese culture? No, not at all. There's quite a large number of western writers who's stories are clearly inspired by the certain style and lore found around Anime/Manga. Off the top of my head, Brent Week's The Night Angel trilogy is based off of ninjas and a slight Japanese-style setting in a fantasy universe.
Does this all mean you can't have stories that emulate Japanese creations? Not at all. In fact, there's a big movement right now with a lot of Japanese-styled works coming out. Pacific Rim, Edge of Tomorrow(more of an adaption, but still geared towards the western market)--just to name a few.
Does this all mean you can't have your stories based in Japan with Japanese people? Not at all, it just raises a few questions--especially the one that ask if you truly know what you're writing about.

Oh, forgot. If you're trying to sort out what genre/sub-genre your book belongs to, look at the market you'll be selling it to. The market decides the genre, and making up your own without some strong pioneering can prove near-fatal in publishing and sales. If your book has fantastical elements, then it's fantasy, and some research in the sub-genres of fantasy can help you located a sub-genre that your book can squeeze into. Don't feel pressured to find the perfect one; if you're planning on trade publishing, the publisher will pigeon-hole it as they see fit. And, no book fits perfectly to a genre/sub-genre.

Last edited:

startraveller

Registered
Reaction score
I would just call that a novel. I'm assuming you're WIP is like the VAMPIRE HUNTER D series: mostly text a couple illustrations. I think .HACK// did the same thing (a novelization of the manga??) if I remember correctly. [These are apparently Light Novels. You learn something new every day.]

I don't know that it would necessarily be considered manga, or would be shelved specifically in a manga section of a bookstore. It may depend on how you go about publishing. VAMPIRE HUNTER D is published in North America by Dark Horse Comics, which places it in the graphic novel section - probably because it's anime related and a Japanese import. Most likely, your piece would fit into fantasy or science fiction, depending on the elements of the story. As far as I'm aware, there isn't really a sub-genre like you're looking for, but I've been wrong before. Having the setting be Japanese doesn't automatically make it manga related and there's not a rule saying you have to adhere to specific pacing/style for it to be a "real book" so~

:Shrug:

Not super helpful.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If you mean a conventional novel with a manga style and tone, that is a "thing" and a few imprints relating to it opened up a couple of years ago but I do not know if they are still around. I know Mojocastle was taking it also, specifically yaoi. Now Light novels seem to be the big thing everyone is excited about. (What makes it in the same style basket is the perspective. Yaoi and western-style M/M have different conventions relating to plot and relationship roles etc. The same distinction can be made for other genres that are manga inspired.)

Last edited:

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
Have you heard of the Broken Sky books by Christ Wooding. He was heavily influenced by Japanese manga and anime. Maybe you can tell?

573909.jpg

He wrote these books for MG I believe.

soho-syndrome

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Wow guys, thanks a lot for the helpful insight! Up until today I never really considered it because I thought I was writing a plot based on something an anime/manga would have, and therefore I figured I should cater to that specific niche. I guess I just came across a few prejudiced views over the years where I'm told that "it's like an anime fanfic, except it's original" so I always wondered if my style/vision could ever fall properly under a standard novel where everything is more Western...

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think any novel can just be marketed as a novel within its top level genre (literary, fantasy etc). You then have the option of using more narrow marketing niches if it will be to your benefit.

Last edited:

BookmarkUnicorn

does believe in fairies
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think you necessarily need to have the novel be set in Japan to have it be manga\anime in tone.
I'd like to try light novels, they sound interesting to read and write really...

soho-syndrome

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
I understand light novels as something with a less serious plot and shorter in length. I've always written multi-chaptered stories that focus more on character growth, more similar to the pacing of a TV show than a novel. Do you guys think that's a little too untraditional and not market-friendly?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I understand the light novels in Ebglish (I have read a few) as being any length or themes although they are often category length, just manga in tone and with some manga illustrations. Basically like a Japanese-aesthetic illustrated pulp/yellowback novel. The ones actually in Japanese seem more YA than the ones in English.

Last edited:

Readable Joe

Registered
Reaction score
I think you're trying to mix together things that can't be mixed together to explain something.

Manga (漫画) is the word in Japanese for cartoon-styled or comics.
Is it not a genre, but a medium.

Totally agree about the medium point. I can't say I want to write an impressionist painting book. Doesn't that really mean I want to write a book set in 1870s France (more or less)?
I also think (at my best guess) you're trying to do something inspired by "Japanese shounen anime aesthetics" (which may be closer to the mark of what you're trying to do). If you're doing that, then that's an MG audience to me. Be very hard to skew the story higher than that age range.

Also, I have to say, western "otaku" (or even asian otaku that aren't Korean) that write fanfiction make me cringe, and this is because they don't really understand Japanese culture. It's like when the Japanese portray Americans in manga and anime - that's equally cringe-worthy. And look, I'm saying this as someone who has lived in Japan for some years and has blood ties to Japan.

For example, foreigners tend to over-emphasize the concept of "honor" when they write about Japanese people. But the truth is they're looking at it from a "reward driven culture" of the west where honor is some personal prize to be won. This is very un-Japanese. The Japanese on the whole, from my experience are the opposite. That is, they are a "shame avoidance culture". Westerners emphasize the "honor" component too much and ignore the "shame" component, which is much more of a driver for action (and inaction) in a Japanese setting.

Last edited:

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
I understand light novels as something with a less serious plot and shorter in length. I've always written multi-chaptered stories that focus more on character growth, more similar to the pacing of a TV show than a novel. Do you guys think that's a little too untraditional and not market-friendly?

So it's more character-driven, then?

I'm sure there are novels (or novellas) out there that have character-driven plots in all genre.

I can't answer your question without knowing much about your story and what kinds of stuff you like to read about. :)

What kinds of novels do you like to read? Are they children's books, Young Adult/teen books, and/or adult books?

What genre is the story, or, what kind of genre do you like to read? (Ex: Romance, Literary, Scifi, Fantasy, etc?) Reading more in the genre you would like to write in can help quite a bit. :)

Have you heard of the Broken Sky books by Christ Wooding. He was heavily influenced by Japanese manga and anime. Maybe you can tell?

573909.jpg

He wrote these books for MG I believe.

OMG, I read those books! I really enjoyed them, though I don't remember much of the plot nor its ending. (I have a terrible memory and I read those as a small kid.) I remembered being let down by someone's betrayal, but I liked it overall. The main girl reminded me of Rachel from "Animorphs", which I was into at that time. (I always loved the aggressive female characters.)

Last edited:

soho-syndrome

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
So it's more character-driven, then?

I'm sure there are novels (or novellas) out there that have character-driven plots in all genre.

I can't answer your question without knowing much about your story and what kinds of stuff you like to read about. :)

What kinds of novels do you like to read? Are they children's books, Young Adult/teen books, and/or adult books?

What genre is the story, or, what kind of genre do you like to read? (Ex: Romance, Literary, Scifi, Fantasy, etc?) Reading more in the genre you would like to write in can help quite a bit. :)

I mostly read romance, contemporary fantasy, and a little bit of young adult. You guys are totally right about the medium; I guess I really am just going for the vibe and I wondered if other authors have done it before. It's good to know that I am not alone and I would be able to find a niche somehow :)

Status
Not open for further replies.