Status
Not open for further replies.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
A Fantasy Novella is fine, I think. Way too much Speculative Fiction suffers from way too much padding.

BigWords, that reminds me to my yet to be named Yule-type of holiday personification of my WIP. So far I'm torn between Father Frost, Old Man Winter, Good Ole Winter and Wicked Windy Winter.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not DL and BigWords.

Meaning that... you're sane. :D

BigWords, that reminds me to my yet to be named Yule-type of holiday personification of my WIP. So far I'm torn between Father Frost, Old Man Winter, Good Ole Winter and Wicked Windy Winter.

There are a few existing personifications of winter from pre-Christian religions, and continuing through regional beliefs and folklore - you could do a lot worse than flip through Brewer's Myth & Legend, for instance. Some of the characters (Jack Frost, for instance) come pre-loaded with a lot of imagery which might be unsuitable, but there should be something suitably obscure to pluck out.

Also, the Victorians crafted a bunch of archetypal characters which are now viewed as representing things like seasons (through the imagery on grandfather clocks and such), so flipping through issues of Punch and The Strand, if possible, should uncover at least a few of the interesting cod-folklore of the time (although this throws up questions of what is true folklore and what is merely considered characters).

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Oh, he has a legend.

He was a a rich old guy who, over a century and a half ago on Mid-Winter, would give presents to his workers and make soup to the poor and offer his manor to the needy after having a change of heart. Each year he goes on a Berline made of gold to throw presents to the good children through their windows and to the bad children, they get a beating by Hector, his coachman/chauffeur.

Nowadays, it's commonly accepted by adults that is mostly a bowdlerized version of the story of Winthrop Winter, an old-time toy industrialist who would allow workers keep the factory surplus and defective goods at the end of the year and, when he saw what a good advertising he was getting for his toys, he went on and played up the whole "father figure" angle.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh. That sounds good. :)

The closest I ever got to a proper Christmas story quickly devolved into a series of jokes.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
*summons every iota of her will to keep herself from changing avatar to Lightning's new look from the Lightning Returns trailer*

*melts into a puddle of excitement*

*makes it a task on Challenge Accepted*

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Guys... what's a decent length for a fantasy novel? Because I need to figure out if the voice in the back of my head that constantly calls issue with my ideas for not being long enough has a point or if I can safely tell him to shut up.

This question has been asked a few times with in the forums. You can use the search tool to find them. But the short answer is, just write the story. You can add or take away as needed later on.

This.

The story may or may not end up as long/short as you think it will, once it's actually written. There's a pretty broad range of acceptable wordcount for non-YA fantasy, probably with 100k right in the center, but the better the story is, the more you can get away with deviating from that.

Also, there's nothing *at all* wrong with a fantasy novella!!!!

Also this.

Also, I would take comfort in not being the only one writing really loooooong shorts :)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You gais can't run away! I mentioned how awesome it is after the doom and gloom and stick waving!

you could always write for someone to practice writing on a deadline

Also: .raises arms dramatically. I'm doing this for youuuu.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
So I have a cute kid story to share.

By some miracle I had both boys down for a nap in their room. I'm watching some TV when I hear a lot of giggling. I go into their room and find that Little K has climbed into the crib with Baby K. And as soon as I opened the door both boys are laughing mischievously.

Only draw back to this is now Little K thinks it's OK to get into the crib.

Kids are a joy.

:D

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
You gais can't run away! I mentioned how awesome it is after the doom and gloom and stick waving!

you could always write for someone to practice writing on a deadline

Also: .raises arms dramatically. I'm doing this for youuuu.

But, but, but, what if I can't write stuff they like *cringe*

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No one said there weren't challenges :)

What don't you think you could write?

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So I have a cute kid story to share.

By some miracle I had both boys down for a nap in their room. I'm watching some TV when I hear a lot of giggling. I go into their room and find that Little K has climbed into the crib with Baby K. And as soon as I opened the door both boys are laughing mischievously.

Only draw back to this is now Little K thinks it's OK to get into the crib.

Kids are a joy.

:D

That is adorable :heart:

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But, but, but, what if I can't write stuff they like *cringe*

You can write anything. The first time I entered, I had to write a realistic scifi story :eek: That's like the only thing I had never thought about writing before. And I succeeded, and the recipient liked it :)

The end. That was an uplifting story, almost as uplifting as the story it referred to.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can write anything. The first time I entered, I had to write a realistic scifi story :eek: That's like the only thing I had never thought about writing before. And I succeeded, and the recipient liked it :)

The end. That was an uplifting story, almost as uplifting as the story it referred to.

:)

(So you're in, right?)

Fen, I looked at the story swap, it scares me. :chair

Noooo. Why are folks scared!? It's the wall of rules, isn't it? Or the 40ish day deadline?

There must be order. The deadline could be negotiated with other participants.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(I was thinking everyone could have a story by Singles Awareness Day)

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
No one said there weren't challenges :)

What don't you think you could write?

Wordz? ;)

Sci-fi, sex, credible humans, er, er, romance in general, settings.

And what if they don't like my jokes?

*Quakes in chair*

Fen, I looked at the story swap, it scares me. :chair

See. See. It's not just me *points finger*

And Kricket is a miles better writer than me.

Status
Not open for further replies.