What's Your Sign? Branding For Success!

W.J. Cherf

VP, Egyptian Studies Society
Registered
Reaction score
Quite often, I am asked about branding, so here is my take on the issue.

1) You are the ultimate source of your branding. Think very hard about what you would like your public persona to be. Costumes at CONs are nice, but are you comfortable in them? Are they you? Will they age poorly?

Your professionalism is on display. Don't, under any circumstances, be a jerk to anyone anywhere. Always remember: karma happens and karma never forgets your address.

2) Your book covers are you. If you're writing a series, they must be recognizable as your brand. Oftentimes, it will not be your name that is remembered, but rather your book covers' look. Can you see the thematic elements in my book covers below?

3) Your business cards. They represent you; therefore, they must be memorable and of a very high quality. Business cards are also personal gifts that you present to others. Make it a "gift-giving" ceremony! Gloss both sides. One side should be a book cover; the other, all of your vital contact info: name, credentials if appropriate, e-mail, website address. A brief blurb as to what your book's about is vital.

4) Your website. Yes, it is you too! Make sure that the theme of your book covers and business cards carry over: colors, font styles, etc.

5) Your desktop. Yep, once again, it is you. I cannot tell you how many times on a plane, train, or convention fellow passengers and conventioneers have noted my open laptop.

I know that this is a lot to take in, especially if you are a newbie, but prepare early and reap success in the future.

Best to all!

Last edited: