Space Marine and Dragonwrangler Bar & Grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And, on a related note, it always bugs me when people say, "oh, the Native Americans were so in tune with nature," or whatever.

Which two species? Because this is something I've not heard.

I'm not disputing that the "in tune" thing gets over-used and over-played. They were, in general, better with their resources and more respectful, but the former was probably just as much about populations than any inherent attitude.

The latter comes mainly from lacking a sense of "owning" the land and what's on it. That was primarily a European conceit, and is the reason why so many places were "bought" for trinkets.

:Lecture:

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Zanz, you clearly cant be a z word if you can run. :)

Actually it *is* more of a shamble, but that's because I had the toenail on my big toe removed via pliers last week. Actually, it's kind of a cool story (obfuscated for the squeamish): about two-three months ago I was opening a heavy door really fast and caught my big toenail, and bent it backwards. That *really* hurt. But although it cut up my toe really badly, and turned all kinds of ugly colors, it never actually fell off. Anyhow, about two weeks ago I bumped the toe on something else, not hard at all, and it cracked about 80% of the way across horizontally, right near the base. This also hurt, but not nearly as much as I would have expected. However, over the course of the next week, I kept catching it on things -- my blankets at night, etc. -- and that wasn't pleasant, so I gave up and went to the doc to have them numb up the toe and then just yank it the rest of the way. Turns out that when I first bent it back, I must have shifted the toenail slightly out of the toenail shaft (where your toenail grows from) and a second toenail started growing in beneath it. So that was why the old one was weak enough to break, and why it didn't hurt as much as it should have, because I've got a little baby toenail there already.

But yeah, I'm not walking as quickly as usual :)

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Was Stick a ninja? I thought he wasn't part of the Hand. Going to have to look that up now.

Not all the ninjas in Marvel are from The Hand (IIRC, his clan was their deadly enemies - or something). I know he was the one who trained Elektra, though that might or might not be discontinuity by now... *sigh* Marvel really, really sucks these days.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not all the ninjas in Marvel are from The Hand (IIRC, his clan was their deadly enemies - or something). I know he was the one who trained Elektra, though that might or might not be discontinuity by now... *sigh* Marvel really, really sucks these days.

I knew there were other ninjas, but I wasn't... well, never mind.

And yes, as far as I know, Stick is still continuity. They haven't revamped Daredevil into this Marvel NOW fiasco. ... Yet.

Give them time.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I didn't know my rant would spar such a discussion.

I actually like venison too. A lot. My dad hunts. I have no issues with people doing it. If we didn't, the deer population would be out of control. I just can't do it myself.

I just don't care for the hunting shows. Mostly, because the guys act like anyone has the opportunity take down 20 point bucks, when reality they hunt on managed lands where these deer are essentially raised. In a sense it's cheating. So the macho posturing is a bit ridiculous.

Bos - I did know about black powder season. My friend's dad and brother are avid hunters. :)

Well, enough about hunting. I'm off to work. Good night Cantina!

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I didn't know my rant would spar such a discussion.

I actually like venison too. A lot. My dad hunts. I have no issues with people doing it. If we didn't, the deer population would be out of control. I just can't do it myself.

Hallelujah!!! People always forget the point about the deer population. One year, when I was a kid, some sort of local hoo-haa caused there to be no hunting season for a while. Seeing deer come down into the yard, even when people were there, because they were starving to death, and were desperate for food? Not cool.

And my son is with you. He hates hunting and won't go. His wife is the hunter in their family.

I just don't care for the hunting shows. Mostly, because the guys act like anyone has the opportunity take down 20 point bucks, when reality they hunt on managed lands where these deer are essentially raised. In a sense it's cheating. So the macho posturing is a bit ridiculous.

Macho posturing is just ridiculous, regardless of context. Then again, it's not just a boy thing; girls posture, too, it's just in a different fashion.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
As somone who regularly has a herd of 8-10 deer wander through her yard...

...I'm all for keeping the population down. I wish there were a good way to do that in my neighborhood.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As somone who regularly has a herd of 8-10 deer wander through her yard...

...I'm all for keeping the population down. I wish there were a good way to do that in my neighborhood.

Werewolves.

Might also thin down our overpopulation a bit, but you can't make an omelet without turning a few people into rabid, snarling monsters.

Or something.

:D

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mmm, venison.

I've known people who don't eat what they hunt and I have no respect for them unless they already have someone lined up to take the meat.

And Zanz, that's pretty epicly owie. I have a similarly odd story of how I lost my right big toenail. I just have a lump of whatever that nail-like stuff that grows under your nail.

One day I had to get a pedicure for my sisters wedding. I explained to the lady, a family friend, that I had no nail. It was just polished down the best I could. Nonsense she said, it's ingrown (because the flesh and the end were really close together??) and jammed some tool under my non-nail. I told her off. What idiot assumes I didn't know my nail had fallen the hell off. And technically I peeled parts off slowly. Geeze.

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Actually it *is* more of a shamble, but that's because I had the toenail on my big toe removed via pliers last week. Actually, it's kind of a cool story (obfuscated for the squeamish): about two-three months ago I was opening a heavy door really fast and caught my big toenail, and bent it backwards. That *really* hurt. But although it cut up my toe really badly, and turned all kinds of ugly colors, it never actually fell off. Anyhow, about two weeks ago I bumped the toe on something else, not hard at all, and it cracked about 80% of the way across horizontally, right near the base. This also hurt, but not nearly as much as I would have expected. However, over the course of the next week, I kept catching it on things -- my blankets at night, etc. -- and that wasn't pleasant, so I gave up and went to the doc to have them numb up the toe and then just yank it the rest of the way. Turns out that when I first bent it back, I must have shifted the toenail slightly out of the toenail shaft (where your toenail grows from) and a second toenail started growing in beneath it. So that was why the old one was weak enough to break, and why it didn't hurt as much as it should have, because I've got a little baby toenail there already.

But yeah, I'm not walking as quickly as usual :)

And Zanz, that's pretty epicly owie. I have a similarly odd story of how I lost my right big toenail. I just have a lump of whatever that nail-like stuff that grows under your nail.

One day I had to get a pedicure for my sisters wedding. I explained to the lady, a family friend, that I had no nail. It was just polished down the best I could. Nonsense she said, it's ingrown (because the flesh and the end were really close together??) and jammed some tool under my non-nail. I told her off. What idiot assumes I didn't know my nail had fallen the hell off. And technically I peeled parts off slowly. Geeze.

I am also currently missing a big toe-nail, and it's really annoying. These things grow back eventually, right?

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
*runs through the thread spreading tinsel everywhere and hanging Christmas tree decorations on everyone's nose*

(Busy Sparklepony is busy, but I've missed you peeps. Now, off to do more Christmasy stuff.)

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Went to bed at 11. Now up at 2 with hungry Baby. Will have to be up again at 4 to catch a flight. This is going to be a long day.

But while I'm here, Happy Whatever-Holiday-You-Celebrate-This-Time-Of-Year!!!!!! Be good (or whatever) and don't destroy the place while I'm gone. :D Love y'all and I'll be back in a week.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Morning :chair

Waves au reviour to Kricket - enjoy yourself :hi:

I'm glad I'm not travelling anywhere in this country this weekend. it looks like it's turned into chaos again. *Sits tight with unlimited supply of coffee and fruit*

:Coffee:

So you guys noticed that I didn't a list yesterday right?

Right.

And then you noticed that I really didn't do very much right?

Right *cantina glares at Ali*

List
  • Make bread and apple pie
  • Watch film
  • Watch cyclocross
  • Read chapter 1 Syd Barrett
  • Write 500 words

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
and omg.... look who's dropping by early!

cthulhu_zpsdc08dbf0.jpeg

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
and ohmagawsh - what's with England under water?! All the flooding and the trains and such? (I follow BBC news on Twitter...don't ask why. I don't have to asplain.)
That akward moment when a foreigner knows more about what's going on in your country than you do...

ION: Good morning Cantina, and a Happy Hogswatch Eve Eve Eve to you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.