Do you believe in muses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOTLOF

Registered
Reaction score
There is inspiration.

I have a good friend who acts as my Beta and when we chat we always come up with tons of interesting and off the wall ideas, concepts, and lines of dialogue. Our conversations always get my creative juices flowing.

I don't know if you would consider that a, 'muse'. I just call it inspiration.

gypsyscarlett

Ma fin est mon commencement
Registered
Reaction score
I do believe in Muses. Yes, like the ones from Greek myth. :)

I also get up almost every morn at 4 am to write. I don't wait to be inspired. i work hard and am devoted to my craft.

Just wanted to point that out, since i think there's this false notion that anybody who believes is just walking around with their head in the clouds waiting for some divine being to whisper the words in their head. Not everybody who believes is just using it as an excuse not to write, or trying to act like the romantic notion of a writer, rather than actually writing.

For me, it's more like i believe my muse helps me when I help myself. When I repeatedly show up butt in chair, fingers on keyboard.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I do believe in Muses. Yes, like the ones from Greek myth.

... lol. Another whacko beside me!
Meant in a flattering way ;-)

Have had half an idea for a long time of constructing
a shrine of sorts. I can sculpt okay. So maybe one day.
You'll be invited of course to pay tribute to the paper mache muse :)

Last edited:

Persei

Let it go
Registered
Reaction score
I believe in muscles lol

Creativity and inspiration come easily everyday if you train yourself to give it a go and write even when you don't "feel like it" because there's no inspiration. Sometimes of course we have that eureka moment when everything falls into place and we do feel the urge to write, but you can't have any new ideas if you don't sit down and think about it, even if it's hard at first.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I believe in Crystal Light and I believe in me.

Elhrrah

Summon Bigger Fish
Registered
Reaction score
Muses - people who get the juices flowing or tend to inspire interesting thoughts - are fun, but not for larger works. I've had people inspire poems, lyrics, or even short stories, but I prefer to base larger works off from ideas that I've taken the time to develop.

As the others have said, writing on inspiration alone doesn't get you far; you'll move in fits and spurts as you dart from one idea to the next, but the text you'll end up with won't be consistent. Some times, inspirations or sudden urges to write need to be kept away from a central project, because they will interfere with the voice you're trying to cultivate. For me, inspiration is typically paired with an emotion or a set of impressions that I want to convey. I can take that inspiration to write and stick it just about anywhere; the problem arises when the emotions I want to convey conflict with the text I've chosen to write.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I don't believe in ever waiting a second for inspiration, but depending on how you define it, writing on inspiration gets me through every project, short, medium, or long, that I write. I don't plan, I don't plot, I don't outline, and I don't develop. There are no fits and spurts, no starting and stopping, no inconsistencies, no revisions, etc.

I just write, as many, many good, prolific writers have done since writing was invented, and it works. I don't know if a muse is behind me or not, but I do believe something bigger than myself is often there helping me out.

Short story, novel, essay, or whatever, I find a title I like, and I sit down and just start writing. I don't know whether I have Greek Muse, an angel from heaven, a demon from hell, or just a very good imagination, but I do believe something helps me write more often than not.

I also believe that if you want help from a muse of any kind, she has to know where to find you, and when you'll be there, so I show up for work on time, each time, every time.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
Do I believe that spending a lot of time with someone whom you find mentally stimulating can act as inspiration help? Sure. Fantastic conversation and good experiences get the brain juice going. Do I believe that person is a walking inspiration radiator? No.

Status
Not open for further replies.