• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Willing Beta Readers Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

EllaM

Herding Cats
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently unavailable.

I am familiar with and I'll read anything with the element of the unreal to it.
Sci-Fi / Paranormal / Romance / Fantasy
All levels of the above from NA/YA/Adult.

I will not read: horror or something designed to ruin my day/life.
If your MC's are typical demons/any type of ghosts or zombies, I'm not your target reader.

My feedback is specific but fair.

No current swaps.

Turn around is one week or less from when I start.
-I am currently unavailable.

All my completed beta reading projects; to date, have had positive feedback from the authors.

I'm on AW multiple times a day, so please PM me a blurb and I will respond via PM. Please check back at least in 12 hours. If we are a fit I will send you my email and ask for a pdf.

Last edited:

RainHanley

be magical
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rainhanley.wordpress.com
Availability: available at the moment

Preference: I will read anything that's Fantasy, YA, Paranormal, Romance, Erotica. From first draft to finished manuscript.

Length: Short stories and novels under 100k

Style: I'll be completely honest with what works for me, what doesn't and why but I won’t be mean or anything like that. I’ll just try to help you to make the best out of your story. Doesn’t matter if you need help with plot, pacing, character development, etc. I am also willing to do line edits for finished manuscripts if you want.

Experience: I beta read for a friends I met here on absolute write.

Swap: I'm working on an erotic short story but if this is not your genre then we don’t have to swap.

Contact: I check my inbox frequently so just send me a message with a short synopsis, genre, word count and tell me what you are looking for in a beta reader (what do you need help with, time frame, what type of comments, etc. ), if it’s a first draft or a finished manuscript and tell me why you want me as your beta reader. I like to get to know the people I work with and see if we’ll be a good fit :)

JackdeNileth

Eternal Darkness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jack-de-nileth.com
Availability: available (for a handful of stories)

Preference: Fantasy, Science-Fiction, Horror, Time Travel - not going to read erotica

Length: Short stories and short novellas

Style: I'll comment on whatever I don't like and tell you how I'd change it, but I won't rip it apart unless it really doesn't work.

Experience: I've done a few beta reads here and there and am also reviewing all kinds of media on my own blog (mostly games though)

Swap: A short story that has only received a rudimentary edit - a few chapters of a novella I'm working on - a very rough draft of a romance novelette that I haven't even looked at since I wrote it.

Contact: Send me a message and tell me what your story is about and how long it is. I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Jack Asher

Differently rational
Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Pretty much constantly. Ladies?

Preference: Anything that doesn't take place in the real world. I'm not going to escape into reality. That said, I'm better acquainted with the genre norms of Sci-fi and Urban Fantasy

Length: If it's over 120k I'm out.

Style: I'm more interested in macro story elements. Also I'm extremely sarcastic. Sorry about that.

Experience: Undergrad student for an English degree. I've also read a lot of books. And books about writing too.

Swap: If you're looking for some meta-conscious urban fantasy that would be great too.

Contact: A PM here is fine. I'll snap it back when I'm able.

RJenn

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Currently unavailable

Preference: Horror/Suspense/Thriller/Dystopian. Sci-fi with a horror twist. Please no fantasy, romance, erotica, or historical. I don't mind YA or NA if there's some elements of suspense, dystopian and/or a hint of horror.

Length: Short stories 7.5k or under. Short screenplays (45 pages and under) also welcome.

Style: I'll be honest. Constructively, of course.

Experience: I have a background in PR. I've sold a horror screenplay and optioned a black comedy teleplay.

Swap: I currently have a horror flash fiction that's about 600 words. I'm constantly working on developing and completing new ideas, so I may add to this list.

Contact: PM me genre, a brief synopsis, and word count. I'll get back to with a turn around time.

Last edited:

LydiaBroderick

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Booked at the moment. Sorry!

Preference: Any kind of YA or Middle Grade fiction, and all subgenres thereof. I will read the roughest of the rough drafts as well as more polished manuscripts.

Length: Anything under 90k. I understand that there are some longer manuscripts that are absolutely fantastic and genius, but it's just too long and not fair to others who are waiting for me to beta read their work.

Style: I'll try to be as helpful as I can without coming off as rude, but I'm not going to waste a ton of time trying to sugarcoat things. I am going to be completely honest in order to help you improve your writing. Sorry if it comes off as harsh; I'm sure your writing is wonderful. I will do line edits as well as general suggestions for the overall plot, characters, pacing, backstory, setting etc. I will go into as much detail as I feel necessary; some pages will be full of comments and some will have only one or two. I do include very specific edits, which is why it might take a bit longer than, say, someone who does only overall comments on each chapter. A 75-80k manuscript will probably take me around 3 weeks, depending. But don't hold me to that--some weeks are much busier than others for me.

Experience: I've done a few beta reads and read a whole lot of books. (I suppose most people on this website have read a whole lot of books, but still.)

Swap: I'm currently working on a YA sci-fi novel. It's not perfect, but I'm taking a break from working on revisions right now and beta-ing for other people. If you're interested in beta reading for that, great. If not, that's fine too. I will still beta your work.

Contact: PM me genre, word count, a brief summary, and any other specific needs or areas where you want help. Please also include how you would like to share your writing (google drive, email, etc.) I'll get back to you ASAP on whether or not I am interested. If I am, I'll get started right away!

P.S. I was in this thread before looking for swaps and then my computer got all messed up. I lost all email messages and internet history, including private messages on here. If I still owe you a beta read from before, please don't hesitate to PM me and let me know. I'm very sorry!

Last edited:

PatriciaEimer

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Currently closed.

Preference: I have experience at contemporary, paranormal, historical romance as well as YA and NA but I'm willing to work on anything except erotica.

Length: 100k or less

Experience: Published author of 9 books, and a member of a crit group for over 5 years (mainly romance)

Swap: Currently I'm working on a YA Steampunk set in Victorian England. It won't be ready for some time but once it is if you're interested I'll be more than willing to swap.

Contact: PM me genre, word count, a brief summary, and any other specific information. I'll get back to you within 24-48 hours.

Last edited:

PatriciaEimer

Registered
Reaction score

Who? Where? I've never paid 40k for a private editor and I use a professional editor who's a former editor at Penguin and MacMillian who came recommended by multiple NYT bestsellers. Any beta who wants 40k to look at your stuff needs their head examined.

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
Availability: unavailable as of 12/29/14.

Preferences: ideally, I'm seeking someone who writes fiction similar to mine (LGBT characters, sci-fi or fantasy setting, plotty, romance). Obviously that's somewhat unlikely. I like plain sci-fi and fantasy, though I prefer things with romantic leanings. I prefer to read about same-sex relationships, but heterosexuality is fine, too.

I like to form longer-term relationships with people and beta multiple works for the same person. If we get along well, I might ask for a swap, though it's not a requirement and there's no expectation involved.

Erotic content is fine, but sex scenes rarely work for me. If your story contains sex: great! If your story is mostly sex, I'm not going to be able to help you.

Length: doesn't matter at the moment.

My style: I try to be helpful. I am to be straightforward as possible, honest as possible, and clear as possible. If your manuscript has a lot of typos and grammar problems, I might not be much help.

Turn-around time: I can get it to you when you need it.

Contact me: PM me and we'll get it sorted out.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Website
www.travis-lee.org
UNAVAILABLE. I have a couple reads I need to focus on.

I've had some good beta readers, and now I want to stand on the other side of the desk.

Availability: Until late November. I'll update this thread once I have a couple takers.

Preferences: Fantasy, Horror, Crime. Nothing too fancy. I'm also up for Magic Realism. If in doubt, just PM me. My tastes are pretty diverse.

Length: First three chapters only. I can only do this for a limited time, and I probably won't be able to take on a full manuscript.

My style: I'll tell you what I think works and what I think doesn't. I'm honest, but not mean. I don't do line-by-line critiques.

Experience: I read a lot, write a lot, submit a lot and occasionally get lucky.

Contact info: PM with some basic info about your story, and I'll see what I can do.

Last edited:

inkblots

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Right now, for as long as this is up.

Preferences: YA or MG fantasy please!

Length: I would prefer a full manuscript of any length. Preferable over 35000, because otherwise it doesn't feel novel length. This would be a beta read not a crit partner so my length really doesn't matter.

My style: I'm honest but not mean. I correct basic grammar mistakes but I am more of a plot and characters reader. As for line by line, probably not but whatever works for you.

Experience: I read a lot and have beta read before, just not on this site.

Contact info: PM with some basic info about your story and from there we will talk.

nealraisman

tenured at Mammon U
Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Now. Open to swaps too.

Preferences: mystery, thriller, humor, literary, non-fiction

Don't want to read: YA,MG, sci-fi, fantasy,

Length: around 80,000 words or less including novellas and short stories

Style; I am open, honest, not mean or overly critical just to nitpick.

Experience: I taught writing and creative writing in college; write myself and read extensively. I have written 5 books on business and customer service and had some luck with essays and short fiction. And I used to write jokes and routines for comedians.

Contact me by PM and we will work things out.

Christracy19

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Any time right now.

Preferences: Sci-Fi, fantasy, YA and MG. Though I'd try contemporary.

Length: I can read a full novel under a hundred thousand words, but it might take a while.

My style: I'm honest and try to add in a little humor as i'm editing.

Experience: I've written for a while and I'm mostly more adapt at story editing then grammar.

Contact info: You can message me on here.

spieles

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: I'm looking to do a beta swap for my romance - first five pages here with an example of how I handle editing here.

Preferences: Sci-Fi, fantasy, YA, Romance, erotica, literary, you can try me on anything - but I'd prefer that you post or have posted on a SYW thread so I can take a look.

Length: Preferably not too much bigger than 100,000.

My style: I generally try to use the sandwich method. Postive-CRIT-Positive until we're more comfortable and then when we get each other I'll be as blunt as you want.

Experience: Working on my third novel, I've written a lot, otherwise. My first novel was YA and this next one is a fantasy crime thriller of the likes of the Dresden Files.

Contact info: PM me.

Last edited:

VKurian

Registered
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Availability[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: Currently free

Preferences: Literary (or “upmarket”), Adult stuff although I'm not really into high fantasy, [FONT=&quot]Women's Fiction[/FONT]. No YA, sorry.

Length: Anything from short story, to novella (I love novellas!) to full novels, but preferably not too much bigger than 130,000.

My style: It’s possible to be a combination of critical while still being receptive to the author’s perspective. That being said, if something doesn’t seem to work or make sense, I’ll let you know. I’ve been on either side of the editorial pen, and it’s possible to be both businesslike and friendly.

Experience: I have some short stories published, and am working on a second novel. I’ve been in half a dozen or so fiction workshops and so I know the drill about how to handle critiquing while still being a decent human being. I have done tons of beta reading for close friends and in a novel-writing group. I do line editing too, but probably am not willing to do this here unless you’re talking about a short story or novella.

Contact info: PM me with a paragraph or so about your book, you’re writing/editing/revising history, and what you are looking for specifically in a beta reader. [/FONT]

Last edited:

SillyMom25

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: UNAVAILABLE for the time being.

Preferences: Contemporary YA only, please (no sci-fi or fantasy or dystopian) and preferably written in first person (that's what I write, so I'm most comfortable with it)

Length: 50k-90k words (complete)

My style: I'll do a thorough critique and give you my honest opinion. Send me your novel in MS Word and I'll use track changes, correcting grammar and typos and commenting in the margins. Along with that, I'll write a few paragraphs on what I thought worked and didn't work. Depending on word count and what I have going on, I can have it back to you in less than two weeks.

Experience: I've written five YA books (three published, two more to be published next year) and one NA (also published) and have been beta reading for several years.

Contact info: PM me with a short synopsis, word count, what kind of critique you're looking for, and your preferred time frame.

Last edited:

eyedrip

i write, therefore i am
Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Available for the next 2 months.

Length:
60k-110k words (complete)

Preferences:
They are all over the place. I'm a huge Haruki Murakami fan. Magical realism pikes my interest. Novels with a great use of prose (Donna Tart would be a good example). Snarky dark comedy; Chuck Palahniuk... David Sedaris.
Paranormal/thrillers along the lines of "House of Leaves", but not interested in ghost stories - psychological horror is fine (even great).
Sci-fi in general is awesome.
I never jumped on the Harry Potter or Narnia wagon, but I enjoyed reading the The Hunger Games trilogy, so captivating YA is also fine (the older the audience the better, not looking for Middle Grade books). I'm generally open to any compelling story that will catch my attention, but unfortunately won't be looking into romance, historic pieces, crime/cop novels, war novels (as in WWI or WW2 - post apocalyptic is good!) If it's dark and gritty, even better! Fast-paced, character-driven novels are my top choice!

My style: I'll either print out your work or edit it on the computer (Word preferable for this), and correct it with real (or digital) ink. I'll go through it looking for spelling, grammar, and syntax errors; story plot holes, climaxes, and weak character arcs. I'll also add a paragraph or two, about what I thought worked, and what I thought didn't work and why. Also any thoughts regarding its marketability in the current book market. I work fast, but depending on the length, the reading window can range from 2 weeks to 5.

Experience: I've written three novels (two published, one more to be published next year) and have a solid screenwriting background -- which is why I'll be looking specifically for character issues, their wants, their needs, etc.

Contact info: PM me with a short synopsis, word count, what kind of critique you're looking for, and your preferred time frame.

With that in mind... show me what you've got!!! :D

http://goofactory.tv/Books

Last edited:

JamesGaberel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamesgaberel.com
Availability: Now

Length: Standard novel length is fine. Nothing over 100k unless the author is aware they need cuts.

Preferences: I'm fine with commercial fiction: fantasy, mystery and thriller. I'm not too keen on much else right now.

My Style: I'm looking to do idea edits, character development, plot, flow, basically big picture stuff.

Experience: I've written one novel and a few short stories. Querying right now and could use the break. I have also tutored in a college writing center for a year--lots of big picture edits there.

Contact info: You can PM me here or leave a message on my website. I just created it, but don't worry, there will be more content soon. Also let me know your expectations regarding time frame for completion and anything you want me to look out for.

I hope to help and look forward to hearing from you!

James

www.jamesgaberel.com

caracy

Expert on Absolutely Nothing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.francinezane.com
Availability: Closed

Length: Open

Preferences: Open. I have edited/critiqued/beta'ed across genres and writer experience levels. The brunt of that experience is probably in sci fi/fantasy. I also have young kiddos who read above their age, so tend to pre-read a LOT of YA. (Previewing is what happens when three year olds start asking to study the big bang theory.)

My style: Depends on what the author needs. I prefer to look at the big picture though. I also prefer to build a writer up rather than tear them down. I'll be honest in my assessment, but I've run into a lot more manuscripts that have redeeming qualities, if the author is willing to put in the work, than manuscripts that really should remain in a drawer or better yet burned.

Experience: I have written a few books, published and otherwise, numerous stories, lots of freelancing. Some ghostwriting. I've helped many writers find a voice and go from wannabe to published writer. In my other life, I work in a job where trust, privacy and accuracy are prized.

Contact info: PM me with details and expectations.

Swap: I have a humor manuscript in second draft. Need an eye to the big picture items. My first shot at humor in a long time and have a hard time telling what is an inside joke that only associates will get and what will appeal to the general public. A fluid 50k length. Some explicit language.

Last edited:

thisprovinciallife

hi! i'm reese.
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'm in!

Availability: Now until the end of the year (Christmas break woot!) Closed for now.

Preferences: Adult or YA. I like books with literary leanings. The genre doesn't really matter--thriller, high fantasy, etc. I don't mind dark or disturbing. Probably not the best fit for romance/erotica or hard sci-fi, but you can woo me with a good hook. Not really looking to help with grammar or syntax stuff.

My style: Mostly big picture, but I love drooling over individual words and sentences, so I'll do the occasional LBL for sections that need/deserve it. I'll be honest, but I'm also very nice. Everybody has strengths :). Also I do most of my reading overnight, so you'd be looking at a pretty quick turnaround.

Swap: I have an MS in revisions. I'd love to swap eventually! Although I'm happing to do a beta or two without swapping.

Contact info: PM me if you're interested! I'd love to read your first chapter first (maybe we could swap first chapters to start out with?) to see if we'd be a good fit!

Last edited:

yxz79

Registered
Reaction score
Alright, I'm in!

Availability: Now until mid-January. (Job)

Preferences: Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Mystery, YA. And others more.

Length: 70k or less.

Style: I tend to focus on character interaction, dialogue, and plot. I'm no expert in grammar & Syntax. I don't consider myself to be mean or aggressive if I read something I don't like at all.

Contact info: PM me to work things out.

Niniva

Life is just a bowl of cherries...
Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Limited availability until Jan 2016

Basically contact me and see how it's going that day.

Preference: Fantasy, horror, romance, erotica, science fiction. Really, I like everything fiction and most nonfiction.

Not Interested: High fantasy. I like to limit myself to ten make believe words per book, and I prefer works under 250k.

Experience: I professionally edit novels.

My Style: I use harsh honesty as gently as possible.

Turnaround Time: For betas, which guarantees only overall opinion of work, I can normally complete one within 3 days for 100k.

(Still, I do generally make suggestions on how to fix weak points. Most of the time that means weak word choice or lack of concrete imagery.)

Last edited:

Morgan_R

they/them
Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Booked through the end of the month, but I should have some time in 2015!

Preferences: I generally prefer science fiction and fantasy. Willing to read thrillers, mysteries, and romance, but I'm less familiar with the conventions of those genres. Not interested in historical fiction or horror. I will read erotica and erotic romance, any pairing and pretty much any kink.

My style: It really depends on the manuscript, and, of course, what the writer is looking for. If you've got something that's structurally sound and would like a line edit, I can do that... but if I think you need to work on the structure, that's the level of feedback I'm going to give.

Experience: I routinely beta for friends & family, including some published authors, and they seem to appreciate my help. No professional credentials, though!

Contact info: PM me!

Swap: I have a near-future M/f BDSM erotic romance novella in the works, and I'd love to get it read when it's done. That said, I'm perfectly happy to beta for karma, rather than a direct swap.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.