• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for Beta Reader - Fantasy Book, 86k

Status
Not open for further replies.

craker

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm looking for someone who would be willing to swap novels for line by line feedback. My novel is an 86k fantasy novel that is completed and still in the first draft stages. I would be willing to swap a couple thousand words a week. I like most genres aside from romance or anything with vampires/zombies. If you're interested, just PM me and we can swap info to make sure we're a good fit. Please only PM me if you are serious about your writing and are willing to give detailed feedback.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Craker, I'm going to provide some tough love.

You joined us here at AW in 2012--I see your anniversary is in just a few days--but have posted only ten times in two years.

Eight of your ten posts seek beta readers. Maybe you're having to ask yet again because you have not become a part of the community, instead choosing to interact here only when you can benefit from our members' expertise and effort.

I'm not suggesting you leave. Nope. I'm hoping you will get active in the board for your genre, the general board for writing novels, and any of the other writing boards of interest to you.

I suggest you critique often and volunteer to beta read for others. I urge you to spend some time here contributing in ways which specifically help other writers make their manuscripts the best they can be.

And if you can make the time, I even hope to see you on the boards which are more social, about bonding as a community of writers who like and help one another as they are able.

When you're that guy, I bet you can get beta reads.

Maryn, not this board's moderator, so speaking as a private citizen

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for someone who would be willing to swap novels for line by line feedback. My novel is an 86k fantasy novel that is completed and still in the first draft stages.

Just some advice...

I wouldn't recommend asking for line-by-line feedback until you're a few more drafts into the process. The first draft usually gets the story down on paper in a rough form. The second draft usually works out some of your structural issues. If someone has already gone through and done a lot of line editing and you end up moving/restructuring/replacing those scenes, then you and the beta have wasted a lot of time and will need to line edit again, anyway. It's generally more effective to get the structure/style revision done and then edit or have someone else edit for the surface stuff.

Of course, that's if you plan on producing more than two drafts, which some people don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.