Broad beans (fava beans in American) ;)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My garden is off to a brilliant early start this year and I have broadbeans that will be carrying right through for months (successive plantings).

I have some in garlic and onion oil for throwing through pasta with a bit of parmesan cheese, and some that I've prepped in a kind of middle-easterny dip - does anyone have any other ideas or fave recipes? Also - are the little tiny ones good for anything?

Gotta love broad beans!

Last edited:

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had to google to see what they were. I've only ever heard them called fava beans. Never cooked any, and don't usually see them on restaurant menus. I think they may have a bad rap in the USA due to Hannibel Lector. :D

MM

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
I love broad beans . But I don't understand the question. The only way you can enjoy broad beans it to grow them yourself , so you can pick them when thay are about the size of peas . You don't need any recipes . Drop them in boiling salted water for a few minutes, drain , add butter and your done.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi
I love broad beans . But I don't understand the question. The only way you can enjoy broad beans it to grow them yourself , so you can pick them when thay are about the size of peas . You don't need any recipes . Drop them in boiling salted water for a few minutes, drain , add butter and your done.

Oh... I only know the way my Italians taught me, which is to let them grow very big, shell them, boil very quickly, cool, peel, and then sit them in herbed and garlic oil for a couple of days. Serve cold, on home made pane di casa and chilled wine. Eat under a hot sun. Music is mandatory. Also good served with pasta.

I've just trialled a middle-eastern dip, which is totally gorgeous.

Thanks for your idea. I'm guessing you shell the tiny ones? You don't eat them like mange tout peas?

Last edited:

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
I love Romas, don't particularly care for Fava. It the only vegetable I overcook, then eat them with butter and a little soy sauce. The Italian method Mac mentions is alright for almost any other kind of veggy.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Oh... I only know the way my Italians taught me,

Thanks for your idea. I'm guessing you shell the tiny ones? You don't eat them like mange tout peas?

Hi
In England the beans are sown in late summer/autumn and are ready to pick late spring . The first ones , when the beans are very small, are used for broad bean salad. You eat them raw or dropped in boiling water for just a few seconds and sprinkle with oil and lemon juice . A bit of an extravagance, you need to pick a lot of beans, but they are bright green and have a welcoming fresh taste. When they become too big for the salad , you can crop them for a few more weeks and eat them lightly boiled . Most growers will pick the lot and freeze them.
I have eaten them , pods and all ,but I don't like them that way . Once the beans start to form a thick skin,they are considered finished.
I don't know anybody that eats them like the Italians. In southern Italy people will shell the beans and bash them with a wooden pole ,until they look like mash potato.

Last edited: