The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Vol. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pondering the psychology of conspiracy- types thinking one of the sandy hook dads was not really a dad, and instead a paid actor. Not only is that crazy, it's also just stupid. I'm sure you can google the guy's name and find a long Internet trail about his life. Do these types get some sort of thrill thinking they are going to uncover some big secret?

(((Caleb)))

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
Afternoon, Purgatory!

(((Lily))) Hope you're feeling better.

(((Caleb))) I'm not entirely sure what happened, but I'm glad you're feeling better and continue to heal.

Rainy day here, just about to go into it. Was going to walk to town, but now I'm not so sure.

Freezing cold here this morning. Very heavy frost overnight. There's a possibility of heavy snow on Friday but the Met Office, being the Met Office, is hedging its bets and not confirming anything.

Haha, we're supposed to be getting snow this weekend, and the Irish Met Office is acknowledging it but also going BUT EVERYTHING MAY YET CHANGE, JUST SO YOU KNOW, SO DON'T ASSUME ANYTHING LA LA LA. I think they're allergic to the word snow.

Going to take a bunch of books to the secondhand store and see if I can get anything for them, then take what's left to the charity shop. Then going to get some writing done and stop avoiding fixing the wolves query. (We won't talk about the synopsis yet, haha. Erk.)

I finished C0D3 N@ME V3RITY yesterday and it was amazing. Definitely my top read of 2013 so far, and it's going to be a difficult one to beat. I've been flailing about it on FB for days and then flailed at the author on Twitter last night, which I try not to do but I was pretty much an emotional wreck by then. It's not an easy read at all, but it's well worth it.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
As soon as enough of the population shows they can't use something responsibly that has the potential to cause harm to others, we have to give up some individual rights to keep society functioning. Back when cars first were introduced, no one needed a license and there weren't traffic laws. Once enough people died from the chaos that ensued, there were laws introduced.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Morning, purgies. Drove to work on what turned out to be 32 miles of black ice under a few inches of snow, which was, well.

Amazingly, I managed to get all the way down the highway before having my near-death experience, but since that was spinning through a busy intersection in first gear, with not a single tire getting traction, that's not much of a comfort.

I cannot believe nobody hit me.

*deep breath*

Anywhar, how are we all? Ink, glad you turned around! If I had a shred of common sense I'd have done the same thing. :tongue: And WOOHOO! on the all-clear from the oncologist! That's fabulous news.

{{{{Caleb}}}} Not sure exactly what's going on, darlin', but I'm sorry you've been having a rough time. Glad to see you back.

Amaire, holy hell, that's terrifying and infuriating. I'm glad you and everyone else are all right.

{{{Lily}}}, hope you're feeling better today.

FruitTree

Registered
Reaction score
It is 13 degrees (F) here in NM this am. An improvement over yesterday's 7, but still...apparently we'll be having a high that is above freezing today, so that's something to celebrate.

((Caleb))
((Lily)) - hope you are feeling better.

Sunna - glad you are ok. Winter driving = totally terrifying.

Have a great day, everyone!

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
As soon as enough of the population shows they can't use something responsibly that has the potential to cause harm to others, we have to give up some individual rights to keep society functioning. Back when cars first were introduced, no one needed a license and there weren't traffic laws. Once enough people died from the chaos that ensued, there were laws introduced.

Very well put. I've been arguing for years that we should treat guns like we do cars. License, registration, liability insurance.

Morning, purgies. Drove to work on what turned out to be 32 miles of black ice under a few inches of snow, which was, well.

Amazingly, I managed to get all the way down the highway before having my near-death experience, but since that was spinning through a busy intersection in first gear, with not a single tire getting traction, that's not much of a comfort.

I cannot believe nobody hit me.

Wheeeeeeeee! Is that what you said? Or was it more like Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!?

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hugs to Caleb.

ink, sunna, glad you all both were safe. The roads sound nasty. I don't know why people drive so stupidly in the snow. Sunna, that's terrifying.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Sunna, eep! I did a brief skid on the way home, but nothing that spectacular. Glad you're okay!

Oh hey, the plows are finally out. Nice to see them now that rush hour is over.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Boy, I've lucked out. Cold here, but dry, and it'll be above freezing by mid-afternoon, too. Safe travel for all.

WTF, plows that don't hit the major roads until after rush hour? There's lots wrong with my city, but our plows have the main streets and highways fully passable by seven on weekdays.

Yikes, Sunna! Black ice is so dangerous. Glad to know nobody hit you, and I'm sure you provided excellent entertainment value. I bet when the witnesses got to work, they all told their colleagues about your spin.

While I suspect I'm among kindred souls here, I won't be talking politics, including gun laws. My state passed one which has lots of folks upset.

Maryn, more interested in getting along than spirited debate

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
WTF, plows that don't hit the major roads until after rush hour? There's lots wrong with my city, but our plows have the main streets and highways fully passable by seven on weekdays.
Such is the difference between a state in which people pay taxes, and a state in which people start waving guns around at even the word "tax" and then go on to pass tax and spending caps to further kill the government's revenue stream. Ah... NH. :rolleyes:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of winter... Remember when I mentioned last week walking to my mammogram, and being annoyed the sidewalk was poorly plowed part way, then not plowed at all? I was griping to The Kid about the perils of walking in the street (which I hadn't planned to do, so I wasn't wearing any bright colors for visibility) and we hit one of those generational bumps which come up every so often.

She could not conceive of a time when people not only shoveled their driveways and front walks but the sidewalks in front of their homes. Her mind boggled at the concept. Yet I remember walking home from school on sidewalks cleared with varying levels of attention to detail, but nobody whose sidewalk was not shoveled. I recall resenting the people who'd cleared it only the width of the shovel rather than side to side.

It was way easier walking than the places where my present-day town's sidewalk plow has left ice in the shape of tractor tires, too.

So, was it a matter of different times, or simply different place?

Maryn, unsure

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
She could not conceive of a time when people not only shoveled their driveways and front walks but the sidewalks in front of their homes. Her mind boggled at the concept. Yet I remember walking home from school on sidewalks cleared with varying levels of attention to detail, but nobody whose sidewalk was not shoveled. I recall resenting the people who'd cleared it only the width of the shovel rather than side to side.

I don't know. I never lived in a place that had sidewalks for people to shovel until I was in college. (I grew up in the boonies.) I live in Chicago now and it drives me utterly bonkers when people don't shovel or salt their sidewalks. It might be because most of the housing is apartments, and landlords don't care about that stuff. Or something else. I don't know. But it drives me bonkers. On my old street one winter, this one long stretch of sidewalk went so long without any attention that the snow got packed into ice. Hard, lumpy, slippery, uneven ice, with enough room for one person to walk toe-heel on it. I just bought a house. We haven't had enough snow to justify shoveling yet, but I will be shoveling my sidewalk.

And that's my sidewalks rant.

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com

Maryn, unsure

Nowadays it's a matter of municipal enforcement. My lovely little town has a law which requires a property owner to shovel the walks on their property within 24-hours of the end of snow fall. $170 fine if you don't comply. Of course, somebody has to report you, but that's what my trusty cell-phone is for as I walk to work after a snow storm... :D

As it's a college town, there's a big kerfuffle about landlord responsibility vs. tenant responsibility, but ultimately, the law requires the property owner to clear the sidewalks or be fined.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
All right, two cups of tea later I feel mostly human again. It's funny, I remember being 16 and doing crazed icy spins in empty parking lots on purpose to find out what they felt like, but all the fun goes away when there are other cars around. :p

Wheeeeeeeee! Is that what you said? Or was it more like Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!?

Alas, I reverted to ragecomic memes and went FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU--- the whole way through. Walking cliche, me. :rolleyes:

Oh hey, the plows are finally out. Nice to see them now that rush hour is over.

Same here. I hate this time of year, when they know they need to take care of the roads but the looming budget clothesline means they do it several hours and accidents too late.

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Morning, purgies!

((((Caleb))))

Sunna that scared me just reading about it.

I'm guessing that the snow over the pass to V3gas will be clear, but still I'm not driving my own car, which kinda bugs me. I still have the loaner car because the replacement windshield came in cracked and the replacement for the replacement has not yet arrived. Also a pain in the ass because my babies' car seats are in my car and I have to secure them for the trip in other ways. That means Trea goes in her travel bag and seat belted around that and Chloe gets seat belted into her harness and day bed. Should be interesting.

Anyway, hope everyone has a lovely day and lots of good things happen.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn - My hometown was the same as Red's, there was a law about everyone shoveling their sidewalk within 24 hours of the storm. However, I don't know about any laws where I live now, 'cause we don't have sidewalks in our neighborhood (unless you count the one that runs from the street to my door, and then I don't shovel it to discourage...well...everyone)

vfury

Registered
Reaction score
I remember the US tourists who had the misfortune of being in Ireland during Winter 2010 and not being able to understand how:

a) the government ran out of salt and grit for the country
b) Grafton Street wasn't even being cleared in the lead-up to Christmas week, so it was like a skating rink
c) shops could only make sure their doorway was safe because the street was Council property and could only be done by them (and see b for what was happening there)
d) no snow plows (in fairness, the last time we needed them was the 1980s, or something. But still, would've been handy)
e) there was some law failure madness where if you cleared your sidewalk incorrectly and someone fell, you could be sued, so no one really wanted to do any sidewalks as a result
f) just general incompetency everywhere

I think the general population agreeing with the tourists made it worse. :tongue I always remember we served an elderly gentlemen with a purple bump the size of a goose egg on his forehead, after he'd slipped on a bridge in the city centre. Couldn't be convinced to go to hospital to be checked out-- had food, and new books, and planned to stay inside until it thawed. I always hoped he was okay.

Last edited:

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Vfury, I didn't realize it doesn't snow much in Ireland.

Cat trivia of the day-back when I posted a pic of our black kitteh, I think it was Red who said she looked like a baby panther by the size of her feet. Well, I think the kitteh is going to be huge for a cat and she's all muscle, so i was curious about what sort of mixed breed she might be. I found there is actually a breed called a Bombay cat, nicknamed a parlor panther, that gets big and often has copper-colored eyes. My kitteh's eyes are almost copper, but one of her littermates had them. The only bad thing is the article says they like to eat all the time and learn quickly to beg for food like they are starving. Ours already does that and since she's still growing, I let her eat. She's not going to be happy when that changes. /cat trivia

vfury

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, we usually get maybe three inches which lasts a few days in February. We very rarely get a white Christmas. Hence why in 2010, when we were getting well over a foot of snow and it went on for over a month and then hardened into ice... no one could cope. One of my co-workers from the US basically spent that winter laughing at us, understandably.

The weather patterns have been screwy for the last couple of years and cold fronts which normally don't reach us now are etc.

Amarie, that sounds really cool. Photos?

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Photos as soon as I can get my kiddo to download some good ones from his good camera. Photographing an all black cat is a challenge. Mine just look like silhouettes or blobs or else she has demon eyes.

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
sunna, ack! *hugs*

and hugs to caleb too.

vfury, i've held back from reading because
i heard it makes people cry and i'm always
ambivalent about reading those books. and
who said it should have been adult? what did
you think?

i don't care about definitions and rules and
what not with gun laws. there is absolutely NO
excuse to do NOTHING in the light of the violence
that happens on a daily basis due to guns.
the fact of the matter is, law makers should
at least TRY, instead of letting naysayers and nutters
keep us in a status quo of violence.

i felt this way before the CT tragedy and
after that, for anyone to turn away and think
things as they stand are OKAY, well, i honestly
don't know what to say to that. it is beyond my
personal comprehension. i have children near
the age of thost 1st graders. it is awful and a travesty.

and it is awful and a travesty that you can't
go to a midnight showing of batman and not
be gunned down.

and it is awful and a travesty that you can't
go buy a bloody DOG ON A STiCK at the food
court in the mall and not be gunned down.

this isn't how we should be living folks.
and i don't see why that is so difficult to
understand, beyond the DON'T STEAL MY
GUNS YOU BASTARDS mentality.

(which no one is even suggesting. for
fuck's sakes.)

or whatever
you try won't work so don't bother trying!

cindy, just in case you didn't know
where i stood =)

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
WOO HOO Dragonfly!!!

From PM:

Colby Marshall's THE TRADE, in which a brilliant, ruthless surgeon provides infants for sale on the black market -- leaving helpless women to die, to Pat Shaw at Stairway Press, in a nice deal, for publication in June 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.