Thanksgiving for Brits

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
I go to Thanksgiving dinners just to see my family. My mom wants to see me and she see me she shall.

I'm not a fan of roast turkey, but I'm a master with other turkey uses. And I dearly love my mom's sausage stuffing.

Crap, now I'm hungry and I forgot what other nonsense I was gonna post.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ahem.

On behalf of the non-American world, Happy Thanksgiving to all the rest of you, and also can you get back to us with all your stories please? Because Thanksgiving stories are so often outrageously funny or sad or lovely and we may be ingrates, but we do appreciate good stories.

Enjoy the turkey. It would want that. Given - yanno - what it's become... :(

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Ahem.

On behalf of the non-American world, Happy Thanksgiving to all the rest of you, and also can you get back to us with all your stories please? Because Thanksgiving stories are so often outrageously funny or sad or lovely and we may be ingrates, but we do appreciate good stories.

Enjoy the turkey. It would want that. Given - yanno - what it's become... :(
We all become one with the universe eventually, mccardey. It was the turkey's time. That's all. The only difference is that he gets to become one with me for a bit. Along with some stuffing, gravy, taters, and some mini sweet potato pies I'm planning. Oh, and the rum raisin ice cream I probably won't finish tomorrow because I should have done the custard tonight.

And, you know, those raisins used to be grapes. They aren't any more.

And so it goes.

Happy Thanksgiving for those who are celebrating tomorrow. Happy Thanksgiving for those who celebrated last month. And Happy Thursday for those who don't. May we all enjoy tomorrow, even if for some of you it's already today. :)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Along with some stuffing, gravy, taters, and some mini sweet potato pies I'm planning. Oh, and the rum raisin ice cream I probably won't finish tomorrow because I should have done the custard tonight.
Now you've made me feel like I don't have anything to be thankful about because vegemite sandwich. :(

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, there, there. I'm sure you can find something a bit nicer than that!

Also, I have to say I thought it was truly generous of blac to offer to share our Tgiving with others. I'm always in favor of promiscuous holiday sharing anyway.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Norfolk Island celebrates Thanksgiving on 26 Nov. Apparently it was introduced to the island by American whaling crews. But given that NI was a penal colony for recidivists, they probably nicked it.

This has been your cross-cultural announcement for the day.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score

Locke

Lost the instruction manual
Registered
Reaction score
I've never had feuds at Thanksgiving, neither with my family nor my wife's. Of course, compared to my family I'm a crazy leftist pinko commie bastard, so I'm rather used to stewing in a bath of my own sardonic internal monologue, and my wife's family has a long-held tradition of passive aggression.

Personally, I'm too busy making sure I get my fill of green bean casserole and macaroni pie to really worry about it.

But one thing I do love is that my wife's family is mostly from England (my wife's paternal grandfather met his astonishingly beautiful bride in the US military stationed at an RAF base), so I get a lot of English traditions as well. I can look forward to roast beef and Yorkshire pudding come Boxing Day in a house that's sure to be well-stocked in PG Tips and Yorkshire Gold (vastly preferring the latter). At least I hope to go see them for Boxing Day, as it's about a six hour drive, and some of the coolest grandparents I've ever met.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I think Americans are conditioned to like the taste from an early age (including putting sugar and marshmallows in it).

Marshmallows? GAGGGGG. I've never encountered anybody who would cook winter squash with marshmallows. Try this:

Halve an acorn or butternut squash, scoop out the seeds. Add to the cavity butter, honey and cinnamon. Finely cubed apples are good, too. Bake (or microwave) until edibly soft.

Eat.

caw

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I have some issues with the history behind Thanksgiving, and it seems a lot of people with larger families have to put up with a lot of nastiness. :( But I LOVE the 'giving thanks' sentiment and I love the meals! I've been gathering up recipes from my Amerifriends to try and bring some of the Thanksgiving spirit over here, because there's some really cool recipes and flavours that Brits miss out on.

Sadly, instead of Thanksgiving, we seem to be getting a steady influx of Black Friday sales. You can keep that chaos please, America, we don't want it!

So yeah, I'm gathering up a ton of Thanksgiving recipes this year and hope to have a big-ish celebration this time next year, and invite a few friends ran to experience the wonders of US tradition! I just need to get good at cooking with sweet potatoes (delicious! <3) and pumpkins (ehh, I'm getting used to them).

---

Regarding: bonfire nights, I've yet to see a bonfire night "event" around here that doesn't include a bonfire. Local bonfires seem to have faded out though, which is a shame -- I'd much rather a neighborhood bonfire than a neighborhood setting-off-noisy-fireworks. Deeply dislike fireworks. Too many frightened doggies at this time of year. :(

Never had a bonfire baked tattie, either -- the big event bonfires are barricaded off and they'd probably frown upon me throwing in tatties. I do need to check, though. You'd think a sensible Scots(wo)man would have started up a tattie stall.

For Christmas, we have a three bird roast, for inclusivity. (NO REALLY WE DO... but actually it's just because they're damn tasty and budget-friendly).

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
All else fails, you can celebrate it in the original Canadian way, in October. (Our thanksgiving festivities pre-date the American festivities.) I know when my dad farmed, there were two festivities during harvest: Thanksgiving, done 2/3 the way through harvest roughly, and the hog-roast to celebrate the end of harvest.

Turkey
Jello Salad
Corn
Buns
Steamed veggies
Dressing
Gravy
Pumpkin or apple pie

The Jello Salad is the masterpiece. Some prefer it savoury, others prefer it sweet.

Last edited:

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Also, I have to say I thought it was truly generous of blac to offer to share our Tgiving with others.

It was a very generous thought

But unfortunately the British *cough* character showed itself. We get a bit...you know that line about leading horses to water? Yeah...

Sorry about that :eek:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Marshmallows? GAGGGGG. I've never encountered anybody who would cook winter squash with marshmallows. Try this:

Halve an acorn or butternut squash, scoop out the seeds. Add to the cavity butter, honey and cinnamon. Finely cubed apples are good, too. Bake (or microwave) until edibly soft.

Eat.

caw
My ex used to do sweet potatoes with marshmallows. It was disgusting. Never heard of winter squash being done with marshmallows, though.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My ex used to do sweet potatoes with marshmallows. It was disgusting. Never heard of winter squash being done with marshmallows, though.

What's worse is the things they do with marshmallows, Coca-Cola, and sweet potatoes....

*shudder*

However, let them eat what they wish to. I had a really lovely dinner and I'm in too mellow a mood to care about anyone else's culinary quirks.

We did have to plot and scheme a little, my dinner guest and I, about what to do and say about the 'treats' my cousin left for us, two concoctions she was so pleased about and especially made extra of, for us.

One is made of pineapple chunks (canned), shredded cheddar cheese (that kind already shredded, that comes in a bag) and pulverized Ritz crackers, all mixed together and baked. It might have been okay except for that cheese which is like wax.

The other, neither of us could bring ourselves to touch: artichoke hearts (canned) mixed with mayonnaise and Parmesan cheese (the kind that comes in the shaker cannister, all powdered) -- also baked.

*sigh*

We decided to say simply, thank you, but we were too full to have any.

Which was true.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Ooohh, hey, all you guys frowning at sweet potatoes with marshmallows and brown sugar can happily send them up to Scotland for me.

We deep fry Mars bars up here and have them with ice cream. I AM PREPARED FOR THE CALORIES.