Bread for Gifting

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was recently reminded about this bread, which looks impressive but isn't all that difficult. It travels okay by car, but I would not ship it.

Spinach-Mushroom-Cheese Bread
Makes 1 loaf​

The filling:
olive oil, 1 to 1 1/2 Tbsp.
8 ounces fresh sliced mushrooms, either baby Portobello or white
1 clove garlic, minced
6-ounce bag of fresh baby spinach
2 eggs or equivalent amount of egg substitute
1 cup crumbled feta cheese, any fat level, about six ounces by weight OR
3/4 feta + 1/4 c. shredded Parmesan
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tsp. sea salt (may substitute regular salt, or may omit)

Heat about 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, adding more oil if it does not cover the bottom of the pan once heated. Add mushrooms and garlic. Sauté, stirring often, until mushrooms release their liquid. Add the spinach. Cover and reduce heat to low. Check every two minutes, stirring, until the spinach has wilted completely. (About six to ten minutes, depending on the size of the leaves.)

While the spinach wilts, mix eggs, cheese, and oregano in a medium bowl. Once the spinach has wilted, remove the spinach-mushroom mixture from the heat and allow it to cool in the pan, with the lid off. When it’s no longer hot, use a slotted spoon to lift from the pan, leaving liquid behind. Blend with egg-cheese mixture and set aside.

The bread:
1 c. warm water, about 110°
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 package yeast (2 1/4 tsp.)
1 Tbsp. butter, melted or fully softened
1 tsp. salt
2 1/2 - 4 cups all-purpose flour
1 egg white (optional)
sesame seeds (optional)

Preheat oven to 400°. Grease a cookie sheet, using either shortening or a thin coating of oil. (Do not use butter or margarine. If you cover a cookie sheet with foil, grease the foil.)

Measure warm water and add yeast to the measuring cup. Stir to mix. Add sugar and stir again. Melt butter and add. (Softened butter goes in during a different step. Use either one.) Set aside.

Clean a work surface, a section of table or counter, for kneading. (Or be lazy like me, use the biggest bowl you have, and knead in the bowl.)

Put 1 cup of the flour in a large bowl. (Add butter here if softened rather than melted.) Add salt. Pour water-yeast mixture into bowl and mix. Add flour, one-half cup at a time, mixing after each addition, until no more flour will mix in. (Don’t put the flour away.)

Flour your work surface with about 1/4 c. of flour. Knead the dough, adding flour as needed, until it has no stickiness. Return dough to bowl and re-flour the surface if needed. Roll out dough into a 10 by 14-inch rectangle. Using a dull or table knife or wheel-type pizza cutter, cut one-inch strips about a third of the way in on both the long 14" sides. Dust cut sections with flour and fold them over the uncut center. Transfer dough to greased cookie sheet and unfold the cut sections. (Or spread the dough right on the cookie sheet and use kitchen scissors to cut the edges. It's not as pretty, but it works.) Spread spinach-mushroom filling down the center third of the rectangle. Fold strips alternately over filling at an angle to resemble a braid. Fold the ends over in whatever way looks nice. Optional: Brush with beaten egg white, sprinkle with sesame seeds. Other option: Brush with leaky egg mixture oozing from the center, which works just as well.

Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly before cutting. Refrigerate leftovers and reheat about 15 minutes at 250° before serving.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds a lot like the stuffed breads a lot of bakeries & pizzerias make around here. Spinach is a popular stuffing. Broccoli (chopped, with garlic & stuff) is also common. And some places do an eggplant version that's good too.

The fancy looks-like-a-braid top is a nice touch. The bakery versions mostly just look like a fat old loaf of bread till you cut them open.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a friend who gives out many (I don't know exactly) loaves of stollen each Christmas season. It is yummy. And what amazes me is that she does them all using a hand mixer. I could see one or two, but I think she does dozens.

MM

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
That looks fabulous and I could see how one could adapt this using frozen bread dough or making them into mini loaves.

I often make a quick bread using beer (epicuruious recipe called Beer Batter Bread) - the beer gives the bread that yeasty flavour but takes one minute to put together and 35-40 minutes in the oven. It's terrific if you want something fast to go with soup. A few times I've given the dry mix along with a bottle of beer and a loaf pan for Xmas gifts or hostess gifts.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I started making this, it was in imitation of a bread sold at the local farmer's market. They wanted something like twelve dollars for it and were handing out slices for tasting. It was delicious, but come on, twelve bucks? So I made my own.

You could indeed put any cooked vegetable plus cheese and egg inside there, to suit the recipient's taste.

Maryn, who doesn't need no stinkin' mixer and kneads by hand, always

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like it could be fun, with a lot of personalized variety possible too.

I once made sour dough cinnamon and brown sugar swirl raisin bread for Christmas gifts. I've got a starter that's from the 1890's.

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like a good recipe. Thanks Maryn.

jamesfinegan

Registered
Reaction score
I'll have to pass this recipe onto my boyfriend. It looks delicious!

He loves baking gifts for people. He's always making cookies, cakes, bread etc for friends & neighbours

zarada

not afraid to leap
Registered
Reaction score
yummm. i'd love to try this recipe with a pizza dough. i have this great pizza dough recipe somewhere, just need to find it. i remember it had cornmeal in it as well as flour. and butter, or course. sure came out yummy about four-five months ago when i made it.

jamesfinegan

Registered
Reaction score
yummm. i'd love to try this recipe with a pizza dough. i have this great pizza dough recipe somewhere, just need to find it. i remember it had cornmeal in it as well as flour. and butter, or course. sure came out yummy about four-five months ago when i made it.

Oh, if you find it, please post it :)

Sure love me some homemade pizza! :D

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be interested in another pizza dough recipe. I have one I'm glad to share. Pizza dough should be in a new thread, though. so people can find it. We mustn't deprive anybody of their pizza, right?

Maryn, hungry

zarada

not afraid to leap
Registered
Reaction score
yay, found it! it's for a chicago-style deep dish pizza, i'll open a new thread. now i'm getting hungry for pizza!

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I've been working on a lot of homemade bread recently. Yesterday, I was worried that I might have done something wrong with my go-to recipe. I kept the starter for longer than a day in the fridge, I thought I might have overworked the dough when mixing and I don't think I used enough flour to dust it when I was folding the loaves.

And yet, somehow the bread seemed more tender this time around when eating it...