Crabmeat au Gratin

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When we were in New Orleans I had this dish for my 65th birthday dinner. It was a religious experience. I understand it is a staple in NO, but this particular restaurant was phenomenal.

I want to make it for our New Year's Day dinner. I found a recipe from Paula D that looks simple and tasty.

I'm thinking, make a bechamel and add cheese (like for scratch mac n cheese), pour it over the crab meat in a small casserole, and bake till crusty on the top.

Any other suggestions?

MM

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
Hey! I lived in New Orleans for years, and was a big fan of Crabmeat Au Gratin. The Bon Ton's version was sort of the standard.

I found this online.

Ingredients

• 1/2 lb Onions (1 large white, some green)
  • 3 ribs celery
  • 1/2 lb Butter
  • 4 Tbs flour
  • 1 large and 1 small can evaporated milk
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 2 lb Fresh white crabmeat
  • 10 oz Yellow cheese, grated.
Directions

• 1 Sauté onions and celery in butter until soft.
  • 2 Add flour and blend.
  • 3 Add milk and blend.
  • 4 Remove from heat. Add egg yolks, crabmeat, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper and grated cheese.
  • 5 Put in casserole with cheese on top and bake at 350°F.
Source:Bon Ton Cafe

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome!

The local grocery story had, for reasons known only to them, cooked and frozen Canadian lobsters for sale the other day. I bought one, and plan to do something(?) with it for New Year's Eve with some puff pastry vol-au-vents (or whatever they're called). The recipe above sounds like a good starting point.

MaryMumsy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The crabmeat au gratin was a mixed success.

I should have put the crab in a strainer and let it drain for a while, the heat from the oven released moisture and it was a little watery.

For the sauce:

2 Tbs stick margarine
2 Tbs flour
a glob (technical term), probably about a quarter cup of sour cream
milk, enough to make bechamel
about a half tsp garlic powder
4 dashes of Tabasco
about 8 ounces shredded cheese

I put the crabmeat in two au gratin dishes, then poured the cheese sauce over, then sprinkled more cheese on top.

Baked at 350 for 15 minutes.

It needed the crab drained, more garlic, more Tabasco, some pepper, and maybe some finely minced onion.

It was very filling, and neither of us finished our portion. There was also cheese sauce left. The rest is going to be mixed with some kind of pasta, more seasoning, and turned into crabmeat mac and cheese. Should be enough for two more portions.

ETA: this was 1 pound of lump crab

MM

Last edited:

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My puff pastry bowls, formed over a foil mould, decorated, glazed, baked, and foil removed, were utterly gorgeous....until the dog stole them off the table and ate them. BAD BITCH!

MaryMumsy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My puff pastry bowls, formed over a foil mould, decorated, glazed, baked, and foil removed, were utterly gorgeous....until the dog stole them off the table and ate them. BAD BITCH!

Is it mean that I laughed? I had to keep shoving the one cat off the table while I was putting the crab in the dishes. I'm not sure if she was after the crab or the cheese. She loves cheese. She was my Dad's cat, and he spoiled her.

MM