In walks the guy with the meat-free thread

Seven-Deuce

Registered
Reaction score
Figured there had to be one of these. I'll start with one of my favorite meatless dishes, Shahi Paneer:

1 Yellow Onion
1 Tomato
1 cup of water
4 cloves of garlic
1 serrano chile, cored and seeded
1 inch of fresh ginger, minced
2 tbsp crushed cashews
1 tbsp almonds, similarly crushed
2 tbsp of butter/oil/ghee. Personally I do ghee for the high smoke point.
A few cardamom pods
An inch long stick of cinnamon
1-inch Paneer cubes, personally I love them so I load it up
1/8 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin seeds
A few cloves
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup of full-fat yogurt
Some golden raisins, if you're feeling frisky

Slice the onion up into a few chunks that will fit into a 4-quart saucepan. Put a cup of water in that and boil the onion with the cashews, almonds, garlic and ginger until the onion is soft. Strain it out and keep the stock for later. Take the rest of it and shove it in a blender with the tomato and the serrano.
Heat up your choice of fat in a large, deep pan. You're gonna fill this thing, so get a big one. Hell, a wok would work. Put in your pods, your cinnamon, your cumin seeds and your cloves and let them fry in there for a few until the kitchen smells awesome. Now take that goop in your blender and put it in the pan and mix it all up. Add your turmeric, garam masala, salt, and sugar. Now add the stock you set aside from draining the onions and let it all boil down for about 10 minutes. Stir in the yogurt and add the paneer and let that all cook for a few minutes. At this point, I like to put in golden raisins, but that's not necessary, I just like it.
Voila! You have Shahi Paneer! I make Basmati rice with cumin and cilantro and serve it over that.
Takes me about an hour from prep to plate.

Anyone else have some veggie recipes?

Usher

Registered
Reaction score
Eezy Cheezy Sauce

It's not really cheese sauce but it is much closer than anything I've made with fake cheese.

2tbsp of hummus
1tbsp of soya yoghurt
1tsp of smoked paprika
Pasta

Pop some pasta into cook. Mix the hummus, soya yoghurt and paprika. Add the pasta to the sauce and stir..

Takes as long to make as the pasta takes to cook.

sabindanjoup

Registered
Reaction score
I love Shahi Paneer.
Unfortunately, I can't cook to save my life.
So, no recipes from me.
Sorry. :)