What is Write 1 Sub 1?

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score
I just started writing again recently, and made two sales already. I think I've the confidence enough now to try this challenge. Sign me up!

taeray

storyteller. animator. artist.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaolindiantales.wordpress.com
Not sure if this is for me...but I need a kick in the pants

So I've seen some comments from people, mentioning how they'd tweak the challenge this way or that to suit their styles or needs. I'm wondering if this is for me but I really need some creative encouragement.

I have no interest in "submitting" to get published, but I do want to write some short stories that relate to my novel and offer them for free on my blog. That, combined with my personal promotion art, I'm hoping to build up a fanbase via my art site and blog readers. Seth Godin says the best way to market yourself is to offer little freebies so that's what I'm gonna do.

To do that I need to start writing my short stories and posting them at least once a month. I was on a roll posting a chapter a week for the short story I'm currently working but then I got stuck and I haven't gone back to it in months. I need some accountability, a deadline, something to make me keep trudging along. With two kids I get easily distracted and walk away from projects for long spans of time. If I'm gonna make this work I gotta start posting/submitting regularly.

Like I said, not sure if I fit in here, but just being around might help me find my muse and motivation.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: Taeray!

Lots of people find ways to adjust W1S1 to fit their needs; I don't see any reason why you can't also do so.

That said, I'm not sure I agree with Seth Grodin, whoever he is. One thing to be aware of is that as soon as you post a story online, it becomes very very difficult to later sell (you've blown "first publication", which is the rights most markets want to buy) so be sure if you're going to do that that you know you won't want to try to sub it to a market later. Also, unless you already have significant blog traffic because of your art or other reason, it's really difficult -- though not impossible -- to attract readers. Definitely if that's the path you want to go, check out the threads elsewhere on AW about self-promo and blogging, so you know what you're getting into. Uh, unless you do already, in which case ignore me and carry on :)

taeray

storyteller. animator. artist.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaolindiantales.wordpress.com
:welcome: Taeray!

Lots of people find ways to adjust W1S1 to fit their needs; I don't see any reason why you can't also do so.

That said, I'm not sure I agree with Seth Grodin, whoever he is. One thing to be aware of is that as soon as you post a story online, it becomes very very difficult to later sell (you've blown "first publication", which is the rights most markets want to buy) so be sure if you're going to do that that you know you won't want to try to sub it to a market later. Also, unless you already have significant blog traffic because of your art or other reason, it's really difficult -- though not impossible -- to attract readers. Definitely if that's the path you want to go, check out the threads elsewhere on AW about self-promo and blogging, so you know what you're getting into. Uh, unless you do already, in which case ignore me and carry on :)

Thank you! That's really good advice. I will definitely check out the self-promo and blogging areas on the site. I hadn't seen them.

I have a small following on DeviantArt for my work but I'm going to continue to try and build that up now that I'm not writing. There are some artists that I follow there that built up all their publicity for their self made graphic novels on DeviantArt.

I had been going back and forth about first publishing rights and decided to make the call that I'm not really worried about the short stories. I'm willing to give them up in the name of marketing for my novel. Most of the short stories are just little ideas and back stories for characters in my novel who generally would never step into the spotlight. Every character I've written has ended up with a developed background after working on this project for seven years. I have been doing more research this morning and found that there's some ways I can dance the line with by posting them on a password protected site. I'm definitely going to look more into what AW has to say about blogging. Thank you for that. :)

As for Seth Godin, my husband recommends him to anyone and everyone. He's been hailed by Entrepreneur as a marketing wizard and has helped my husband double the profit our business makes. You should check out his blog. I'm still just scratching the surface of his marketing blog and insights. He's written multiple best sellers on marketing and launched Squidoo. I'm looking into Squidoo now to see how it can help me with marketing and reaching people interested in my kind of project.

Chiquitta

Registered
Reaction score
Short story writing

I think that based on the length of the short story, and how much time the author has available to put into the making of the short story, this should be a venture of once a week to twice a month. I like the fact that regular submission of work would make me personally more responsible as a writer and know how to work with deadlines. I would become more disciplined.

Chiquitta

bailre

Noob
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beetle-ships-it-all.tumblr.com
What a great idea!

And I'm not just saying that because I had the idea, as well (though I'm writing a story a day for a year . . . or trying to. Right now, I'm about five months behind. I've only got about 170 stories in the bank, all told). I haven't been submitting the stories very often. Usually they go to my blogs, there to languish.

But I've yet to have any of the stories I've written for this project get published in a literary journal, or win a contest. It's getting disheartening.

But I will soldier on. I will do as my best writing teacher once told me: "Write and submit till you get one hundred rejections. Then get one hundred more."

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Holy Meandering Font-Sizes, Batman!

I think that based on the length of the short story, and how much time the author has available to put into the making of the short story, this should be a venture of once a week to twice a month.

One of the really valuable things about W1S1 is that we're all here to support each other with our individual goals, without being judgmental. People write at different lengths, at different speeds, and have different levels of complication and commitments in their lives. Find the goal that works best for you personally, and let others do the same.

I'm writing a story a day for a year . . . or trying to. Right now, I'm about five months behind. I've only got about 170 stories in the bank, all told). I haven't been submitting the stories very often. Usually they go to my blogs, there to languish.

But I've yet to have any of the stories I've written for this project get published in a literary journal, or win a contest. It's getting disheartening.

Whoa, 170 stories, go you! That's awesome output. And you do know that at 100 rejections you get to throw a big party, right?

More seriously, have you passed any of these stories by betas/crit groups? That might be very helpful in figuring out how to get these up to the next level. My understanding is that literary markets can be especially tough to crack.

Welcome both of you :)

Last edited:

Artemissed

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone - so great to see all the industry here. You guys are fab. It's been so lonely writing by myself. Zanzjan - you mentioned something about publishing works - does this apply to here? As in - if I write something on post in on here - does that mean publishers wouldn't take it at a later date?

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
If you post a full story (or a large part of one) on a public forum, most places count that as first publication rights. That means a lot of places won't buy it, and those that will would buy it as a reprint, which usually pay much less. Same if you post it on a blog.

CSPayne

Oh look, here I am
Registered
Reaction score
SOMEBODY HOLD ME, I'M AFRAID OF JUMPING IN THE MOSH PIT ALONE!
I want to start submitting to the W1S1, but this is my first time submitting anything. anywhere. (noob)
Can anyone help a unicorn out?

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Hello everyone - so great to see all the industry here. You guys are fab. It's been so lonely writing by myself. Zanzjan - you mentioned something about publishing works - does this apply to here? As in - if I write something on post in on here - does that mean publishers wouldn't take it at a later date?

The major reason the Show Your Work rooms are password-protected is precisely to protect those first-pub rights, so you're good to go posting stuff in there for critique (following the rules of the room, of course.)

SOMEBODY HOLD ME, I'M AFRAID OF JUMPING IN THE MOSH PIT ALONE!
I want to start submitting to the W1S1, but this is my first time submitting anything. anywhere. (noob)
Can anyone help a unicorn out?

You don't submit stuff *to* W1S1. But you can tell us your goals, and talk about your progress and setbacks and successes and less-than-successes, and we're here for ya. If you're looking for information about how to actually submit work for publication, there's a thread here with a quick synopsis of the process. :)

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
This sounds great. I'm in. *looks around* Is that all it takes? No hazing? I can head over to the lounge now?

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Yep. Find a good spot in the lounge, settle in, and crack that WIP open :)

Last edited:

CSPayne

Oh look, here I am
Registered
Reaction score
You don't submit stuff *to* W1S1. But you can tell us your goals, and talk about your progress and setbacks and successes and less-than-successes, and we're here for ya. If you're looking for information about how to actually submit work for publication, there's a thread here with a quick synopsis of the process. :)

Ahhh, I see. Thanks Zanzjan! I
will lurk around a bit in the lounge and read up on submitting my work for publishing.
*awkwardly hugs you because I can*

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
:D

If you have questions, please ask! Pretty much nothing this group can't do, or hasn't done. Or at least tried :)

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
I had this and the next two weeks set aside as my blissfully obligation-free weeks (I haven't had a real break from work and school in a year or so), but when I'm back to normal life count me in. I'll be aiming for one a week.

Jwriter

Going places
Registered
Reaction score
So, I'm reading along and I love the W1S1 idea. Here's my question: in the original post it's really meant to be write one story/sub one story each week. I've been pondering the idea of doing queries that way for now. Is that kosher?

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see why not. The point is the motivation that comes from announcing one's goals, and the threat of vast public shaming hanging* over one's head if you don't meet them. ;)

---
(* we don't actually do this. ssssh, don't tell.)

Jwriter

Going places
Registered
Reaction score
Well, then I'm in! And when I run out of query ideas I'll start cranking out essays and stories that are percolating ... this is scary.

Jwriter

Going places
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I've got Query No. 1 done. Well, done enough to sit and let me think about it and read it again tomorrow. I'm going straight to the top -- Reader's Digest. Why not, right?

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
I'm in! Though, I'm going to modify it to w1s1 every two weeks. I find the prosepect of one week writing and one week editing/revising to be much more managable than doing both in under a week.