The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have about 100 handwritten words tonight. And it was like pulling teeth to get them. I'm gonna try for some more. Even if they're crappy ones :tongue I have to keep moving on this one.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
This is the first story I've written in years that's grown (substantially) longer in revision. I'm not sure if that means I'm learning new things or regressing. Guess there's not much to do besides finish it now, go back next week (after drafting that week's story), edit it, and see if it sells.
Good stuff, Nathaniel. Hopefully it means you're learning things :)

If I write 10 short stories before the end of this month, I'll have caught up I think... :p Or gone over. I can't tell. How many should we have (for weekly?) ?

Aaahhhh... I'm lost in novel-writing land where nothing ever gets finished! I miss you, short stories!
Um, lessee. This week is week 10, and there are 2 more complete weeks before end of March. So, if you're wanting to have a story written for the week that ends on 3 April, you'll need a total of 13 stories written to be all caught up. I think.

As a sidenote: did you know that a lessee is someone who holds a lease?

I have about 100 handwritten words tonight. And it was like pulling teeth to get them. I'm gonna try for some more. Even if they're crappy ones :tongue I have to keep moving on this one.
Pull those wordteeth until there are none left, soapy. :D

sisco

Nothing clever to put here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ericsisco.com
Ugh... Managed to get a write and submit out for this week. Just barely. Only two hours to spare when I subbed it. It was flash even. Preparing to move sucks. Takes too much writing time with all that packing and such.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Well done on getting the story written anyhow, Eric. And i hope your move goes well :)

I could do with a kick to get me started tonight--i keep on finding things to distract myself.

(aside: we don't really need a separate Hug Me/Kick Me place, do we? We can boot each other around in here)

izanobu

Registered
Reaction score
Website
anniebellet.com
Oh, ok. I'm not that far behind. I only need to write 7 stories. But I already panicked and planned out ten, so I'll just get ahead. As soon as this stupid novel is finished :p

jgold

Grinning
Registered
Reaction score
I'm on track so far this month. I wrote a 1k flash last week and subbed two stories. If I can finish the story started for the February SFF challenge within the next week, that should leave me enough time to write a second new one for March.

Need to sub out some of my older stories too, although I see so much wrong with them at this point, I'm not sure it's worth it.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Good stuff, jgold!

If you're on the weekly plan, peeps, don't forget to check-in (or if you're newly joined up, the check-in might be a good opportunity to introduce yourselves).

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
So Enchanted Conversation says they've notified all their "yes"es for this issue. Might be still working on the "no" emails. (Got mine today -- blah.) I'm looking forward to seeing what made it in, tho. :)

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good progress, everyone.

Annie, bummer :(

I'm so not productive today. But I have decided not to try and force the words. It's almost always better if I just wait--I'll get caught in some spell and sit down and write the whole thing if I just relax enough to let it happen. I still have half the month. So I should be OK.

(I hope.)

Last edited:

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote a flash piece "The Getaway" (which you can read in Share Your Work Humor forum). Trying to figure out where to sub it, because it's such an odd piece.

A couple of rejections this week - a personal one from Abyss&Apex and a form rejection from E.C. Re-subbed both stories to solid markets.

I am traveling most of next week. Not sure how much time I will have to write or even visit the forum. Worst case scenario I will catch up on my writing the following week, but hopefully I will put at least some words on paper in the meantime.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I got another section of a fantasy story written. And it means I only have one more SF/F challenge topic left for the month. *woohoo* (Should I have posted this in "Braggage"? Feel kind of silly for celebrating finishing part of a story. But there it is. I got stuff written.)

I had a screenwriting prof tell me once that his greatest muse was the spindle he kept all his bills on. Beginning to see where he got that idea.

Aggy, tired of being flat broke

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
Go Aggy! Sending sale vibes your way.

Nicole

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I wrote a flash piece "The Getaway" (which you can read in Share Your Work Humor forum). Trying to figure out where to sub it, because it's such an odd piece.

A couple of rejections this week - a personal one from Abyss&Apex and a form rejection from E.C. Re-subbed both stories to solid markets.

I am traveling most of next week. Not sure how much time I will have to write or even visit the forum. Worst case scenario I will catch up on my writing the following week, but hopefully I will put at least some words on paper in the meantime.
Good stuff on the resubs, Alex. And have fun travelling. If we don't see you for a few days we'll understand... that you've abandoned us.

Kidding, ofc :D And i'm sure you'll find time to put some words on paper.

I got another section of a fantasy story written. And it means I only have one more SF/F challenge topic left for the month. *woohoo* (Should I have posted this in "Braggage"? Feel kind of silly for celebrating finishing part of a story. But there it is. I got stuff written.)

I had a screenwriting prof tell me once that his greatest muse was the spindle he kept all his bills on. Beginning to see where he got that idea.

Aggy, tired of being flat broke
Yay for getting stuff written. And have i told you already that you're on fire?

Side note, peeps: If you've got a story in SYW and would like some extra eyes on it, post a link over in the Beta Readers/Crit Requests thread.

Write on! :e2headban

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I've just discovered (via Duotrope) this brand spanking new market that likes quirky humor pieces: Eric's Hysterics.

They're a wee bit mixed up about genre/literary, it would seem, and only pay $5 per piece, but if the other bigger humor markets don't work out, this might be a go-er.

Last edited:

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
I ended up editing my story yesterday. Brought it back down from 4,300 words to 3,000, its original length, without taking out any of the content and sent it to Black Static (though postage to Britain is not pleasant).

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
All right, guess I'm official now -- I made a spreadsheet, 'cause I was losing track of what I had. It's hard to say a spreadsheet's unofficial.

It looks like the twofer plan is working out so far. If it keeps up.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I ended up editing my story yesterday. Brought it back down from 4,300 words to 3,000, its original length, without taking out any of the content and sent it to Black Static (though postage to Britain is not pleasant).
That's some good editing, Nathaniel!

I've never sent anything to Black Static (or to any mag that TTA press publishes) because of the cost of postage. E-subs all the way for me.

All right, guess I'm official now -- I made a spreadsheet, 'cause I was losing track of what I had. It's hard to say a spreadsheet's unofficial.

Yep, spreadsheet sounds pretty official-like.

:PartySmil

If you keep doing what you've been doing and don't worry too much about the challenge, i reckon you'll do just fine :)

Last edited:

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Spreadsheets are the BEST.

:snoopy: I got words last night. YAY! More in the forecast today--probably much later in the day, but I'm hopeful.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I've been doing too much work writing (and work stressing) to get much done in the way of fiction. Sometimes freelance is the BEST and sometimes... well, sometimes it sucks hard.

MattJ

Publish or Die Trying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
wayofthewriter.blogspot.com
I've noticed that the British mags definitely have a different "feel" to the writings anyway. It almost just seems British, in a certain way I cannot describe.

I've never sent anything to Black Static (or to any mag that TTA press publishes) because of the cost of postage. E-subs all the way for me.