Get Yer YA Recommendations Here!

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like Circle of Magic is the winner! (Which is great, because my husband loves loves loves mages, so we can nerd out together.) Reps all around!

frankiebrown

Simplify.
Registered
Reaction score
Looking for a YA read told from a male POV with rape as the main topic (the male MC not being the victim). Any titles pop to mind? Thanks y'all!

Taylor Kowalski

professional mountain troll
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mostlytaylor.com
Looking for a YA read told from a male POV with rape as the main topic (the male MC not being the victim). Any titles pop to mind? Thanks y'all!

The Marbury Lens comes to mind, though the MC was the victim.

There's Hushed, which has a male main character whose best friend was raped. I haven't read this one, so I can't attest to whether or not it's good.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score

Haven't read it, but I think Inexcusable by Chris Lynch is from the POV of a boy who commits rape. Sounds very intense.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
There's Hushed, which has a male main character whose best friend was raped. I haven't read this one, so I can't attest to whether or not it's good.

It's a tense thriller, not so much about the rape, but about how the MC handles his guilt about it. Kind of bananas, but in the good way that turns pages. (Anything else I say is spoilerific.) Plus, it's a great place to look at a non-romance NA (characters are all college and on their own), and the author is an AWer.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I saw a book at the bookstore yesterday and now I can't remember the title. Something to do with "dark light" or "light darkness" or something. Anyway, it was about a young girl and took place in North Korea. I think it was UK YA. Can anyone help?

Zoealea

Mmmm, caffeine.
Registered
Reaction score
Haven't read it, but I think Inexcusable by Chris Lynch is from the POV of a boy who commits rape. Sounds very intense.

I read Inexcusable last year, and it was super intense. I highly recommend it.

There's also The Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney. The main character is the victim, but the book is more about getting justice and trying to make the people realize the severity of committing those sorts of crimes.

Yeasayer

see you on a dark night
Registered
Reaction score

It's not out yet but Fault Line by C. Desir is about a boy whose girlfriend is raped.

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
Books about Stockholm Syndrome?

I've had another kidnapping book idea (practically the only thing I write!) and I'm looking for books (for research) with an MC/secondary character with Stockholm Syndrome?

Or failing that, an MC who has the opportunity to escape an abusive situation/a captor, but doesn't, due to fear, responsibility, love or Stockholm Syndrome, something like that? Something along the lines of LIVING DEAD GIRL or STOLEN?

Thank you! :)

autumnal

young fresh and cranky
Registered
Reaction score
Have any of you read The Bone Season? I'm so interested to know opinions on that one... myself, I read the preview (~30 pages) and was astonished at how much jargon and world-building she tried to incorporate so soon. It left me a little dizzy. I wonder how somebody who read it in the entirety reacted?

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Have any of you read The Bone Season? I'm so interested to know opinions on that one... myself, I read the preview (~30 pages) and was astonished at how much jargon and world-building she tried to incorporate so soon. It left me a little dizzy. I wonder how somebody who read it in the entirety reacted?
I'm reading it (I just dived into another book which I've been waiting for since forever, so TBS is on pause for now). My favorite thing about it is actually the worldbuilding. It's dark and unusual, a mix of aesthetics, tropes and findings that bring together Sci-Fi and fantasy. I've read about 200 pages by now, and I'm fine with all the jargon and special stuff, but then it's not all new to me since I'm rather familiar with the paranormal pseudosciences of the Victorian era and some of the worldbuilding is obviously based on them. There is a lot of it indeed, I can imagine it can feel like a heavy read.
~
I'll ask here instead of the Retellings thread: I'd like to find more twisted, modern retellings of fairy tales (YA, of course) that cross into different genres or have very different settings. The perfect example of this is CINDER.

Opal

The Designated No-Stress Friend
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any YA that deals with struggling romantic relationships (I don't want the building up to the relationship but they're already together and having tiffs and wondering whether to break up or not sort of thing) or YA that deals with getting over an ex?

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any YA that deals with struggling romantic relationships (I don't want the building up to the relationship but they're already together and having tiffs and wondering whether to break up or not sort of thing) or YA that deals with getting over an ex?

How to Love by Katie Cotugno isn't out yet and I haven't read it, but it has that kind of theme (and it looks amazing).

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I'm really into books about female friendships right now. I got tired of contemp romances with the "best friend" character who didn't really do anything and didn't seem that close to the MC at all. I'm currently reading Code Name Verity and I have Paper Aeroplanes by Dawn O'Porter and You Don't Know Me by Sophia Bennett in my TBR pile -- any other recs?

It seems like UK YA has a lot of good female friendships. Hmm.

MostlyBecca

Squeee
Registered
Reaction score
Recently I've been trying to branch out and read more than just fantasy and science fiction. I think I want to try a little contemporary.

Anyone have any good contemporary recommendations for someone who has never read any before (or at least very little?) I know it's a little bit vague, but anything that might make me more likely to continue reading contemporary would be nice :D

Oh, and maybe light on the romance or without any at all.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Recently I've been trying to branch out and read more than just fantasy and science fiction. I think I want to try a little contemporary.

Anyone have any good contemporary recommendations for someone who has never read any before (or at least very little?) I know it's a little bit vague, but anything that might make me more likely to continue reading contemporary would be nice :D

Ah. I heart contemp more than anything. I surely have some recommendations.

--I AM THE MESSENGER by Markus Zusak (light on romance, heavy on AWESOME)
--HOW TO SAY GOODBYE IN ROBOT by Natalie Standiford (about a friendship... it's so beautiful it makes my heart hurt)
--THE CHOSEN ONE by Carol Lynch Williams (okay, this one has more than a touch of romance, but it also has a girl trying to escape from an abusive Mormon fundamentalist compound and beautiful writing)
--WANDERLOVE by Kirsten Hubbard (written by a fellow AWer! About a girl who backpacks through Central America... a teensy bit of romance but a whole lot of discovering oneself and gorgeousness)

All of those books rank high in my top ten favourite YA novels of all time. I would also whole-heartedly recommend ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS and LOLA AND THE BOY NEXT DOOR by Stephanie Perkins and any of John Green's books if you were more interested in romance. John Green is, of course, awesome, and Stephanie Perkins is way underrated. Probably the best YA contemporary romance writer around.

Happy reading! Let us know what you read and how you like it!

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Another request today. :)
Gimme YA Sci-Fi with some horror undertones, please. It doesn't have to be RESIDENT EVIL (couldn't think of a YA example) level of horror, but it has to be creepy. Creepy and mysterious is an even better combo.
THE FIFTH WAVE is sorta it. 3:59 seems to fit the idea. VARIANT, too. THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH is more zombie than Sci-Fi (zombie is totally its own category), but it fits, too, even though I'm not too interested in zombies.
UNDER THE NEVER SKY is a little bit creepy, but not enough, and so are many other dystopias.
Oh, I know, here's the perfect YA example. The MIDNIGHTERS series.

Yeasayer

see you on a dark night
Registered
Reaction score

Seconding Becca C. on HOW TO SAY GOODBYE IN ROBOT.

Most of these do have a love interest, but it's certainly not the main part of the story:

ASK THE PASSENGERS by A.S. King
DR. BIRD'S ADVICE FOR SAD POETS by Evan Roskos
SOMEDAY THIS PAIN WILL BE USEFUL TO YOU by Peter Cameron
SPEAK by Laurie Halse Anderson
WHERE THINGS COME BACK by John Corey Whaley
HOLD STILL by Nina LaCour

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Another request today. :)
Gimme YA Sci-Fi with some horror undertones, please. It doesn't have to be RESIDENT EVIL (couldn't think of a YA example) level of horror, but it has to be creepy. Creepy and mysterious is an even better combo.
THE FIFTH WAVE is sorta it. 3:59 seems to fit the idea. VARIANT, too. THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH is more zombie than Sci-Fi (zombie is totally its own category), but it fits, too, even though I'm not too interested in zombies.
UNDER THE NEVER SKY is a little bit creepy, but not enough, and so are many other dystopias.
Oh, I know, here's the perfect YA example. The MIDNIGHTERS series.

Have you read ARCLIGHT by Josin L. McQuein (Cyia)? Definitely fits the bill. Here is my review of it.

Most of these do have a love interest, but it's certainly not the main part of the story:

CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT HOLD STILL. Yes. Yes, definitely read HOLD STILL.

MostlyBecca

Squeee
Registered
Reaction score
Ah. I heart contemp more than anything. I surely have some recommendations.

--I AM THE MESSENGER by Markus Zusak (light on romance, heavy on AWESOME)
--HOW TO SAY GOODBYE IN ROBOT by Natalie Standiford (about a friendship... it's so beautiful it makes my heart hurt)
--THE CHOSEN ONE by Carol Lynch Williams (okay, this one has more than a touch of romance, but it also has a girl trying to escape from an abusive Mormon fundamentalist compound and beautiful writing)
--WANDERLOVE by Kirsten Hubbard (written by a fellow AWer! About a girl who backpacks through Central America... a teensy bit of romance but a whole lot of discovering oneself and gorgeousness)
I picked up How to Say Goodbye in Robot and I'm enjoying it thus far. I'll let you know what I think once I finish :) I'll probably try I am the Messenger next.

Adding Hold Still to my list as well since you two seem to be in agreement :D plus it sounds really good.

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for post-apocalyptic YA. I would prefer no zombies, not a dystopian, no fantasy. Just good, hard, what-happens-after-civilization-ends fiction. I'm currently reading NOT A DROP TO DRINK by Mindy McGinnis and it is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I'm looking for post-apocalyptic YA. I would prefer no zombies, not a dystopian, no fantasy. Just good, hard, what-happens-after-civilization-ends fiction. I'm currently reading NOT A DROP TO DRINK by Mindy McGinnis and it is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks.

Earth Girl, by Janet Edwards might fit what you're looking for. I loved it.