UK all time bestsellers list

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I agree. I think the Harry Potter books are worth reading (I absolutely loved them when I was younger), The Very Hungry Caterpillar is awesome, Life of Pi was good and so was the whole His Dark Materials Trilogy. I liked Chocolat and Memoirs of a Geisha as well.

I still love the Harry potter books! :)

alexaherself

Wordsmith and shoechick
Registered
Reaction score
I liked Chocolat and Memoirs of a Geisha as well.

So did I.

It's not my sort of genre at all, but I don't think it's fair to dismiss The Time Traveler's Wife as "not worth reading", either. I won't pretend it's great literature, but I certainly found it worth reading.

And yeah, the oldest book being (apparently) from 1989 does make the whole thing a tad suspect.

I won't argue with that one. ;)

ElsieTanner

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I suppose the chances of the figures being correct are marginally higher than if it were the Daily Mail. The Graudin provides a nice spreadsheet but doesn't seem to source it at all. And yeah, the oldest book being (apparently) from 1989 does make the whole thing a tad suspect.

To Kill a Mockingbird is in there and that's 'old' but agree it's odd they're all so recent - has Great Expectations really sold fewer copies than Sharon Osbourne's autobiography (dear God!)? I'm guessing the answer is a mix of records not being kept until relatively recently combined with the selling power of 24 hour media/internet coverage.

Incidentally, Dan Brown is also the most donated author to Oxfam charity shops http://www.oxfam.org.uk/media-centr...ieg-larsson-top-oxfam-second-hand-book-charts

The best thing about this thread is Elsie Tanner's username.

Ey up, chuck!

aw, thanks lovey!

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Da Vinci Code was a frequent winner of my informal contests when trawling the charity shops for books. The winning book is the one you find most frequently. I imagine 50 Shades would now win hands-down but I haven't played lately.

Another prominent author who's missing from the bestsellers is of course Miss Austen.

Status
Not open for further replies.