I miss bookstores...

Status
Not open for further replies.

aikigypsy

Registered
Reaction score
This thread is making me miss living in Cambridge (MA), and in Portland, for Powells (there were other bookstores there, too). I now live in a small town with one independent bookshop, which is pretty good, but small. It just doesn't compare to being able to go from the Coop (a B&N university bookshop) to Globe Corner, whatever the foreign language bookshop was called, the Harvard Bookstore, a poetry book sore, and then a used book store a little ways down the street (which I think is closed now), not to mention Pandemonium. Oh, I miss it!!!

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I really love independent bookstores, and shop in them whenever I travel (which is reasonably often).

If you're near Louisville, KY check out Carmichael's on Bardstown Road. If you're near Petoskey, MI try McLean & Eakin. In Traverse City, try Horizon Books.

Munro's Books in Victoria, BC is super nice, too.

Our local Barnes & Noble seems to cater mainly to religious homeschoolers and people buying gifts. It seems like every time I go there, they've taken another step backward in relevance. I hope this is just our BN catering to our twisted little market. It's become yet another one of those megafranchise "No we don't have it but we can order it for you" joints.

Last edited:

I_love_coffee

that's what it's all about....
Registered
Reaction score
just hit the library. You can leave with a HUGE bag of books for FREE. I wander around the library and have discoved tons of great books just from browsing

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Nice to read that others have noticed the B&N downshift lately. Ours hasn't gone quite so far into gift merchandising (yet), but every time I walk in there it seems they've... faded. Less variety. Less interesting stuff. Less chance of finding even popular books I'm looking for. I also have a policy where, if I'm pushed out of the way by employees more than three times while browsing, I won't bother buying... it's cost them a few purchases. (And gained a few for Amazon.) The only way they're really going to compete against online options is to bring back the customer service and events that you just can't do - or can't do as effectively - on the internet, but it seems that they just don't care anymore.

These days, I'm more likely to buy at Half Price Books... and Amazon. When I have the money.

(The hideous irony is that I work at the library, where I could read all I want for free. I tell myself I'll start checking out books again when the backlog gets below the double digits. Hasn't happened in over five years... Heck, nobody ever accused me of having brains. At least, nobody who wasn't being sarcastic. ;) )

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I grew up visiting a Walden Books that was only a few blocks from my house. Bookstores (and libraries) hold a special place in my heart. When I walk into one, it feels like Christmas, it feels like dreams, it feels like discovery and exploration.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I love going to Barter Books in Alnwick [second-hand.] I get a lot of my history books from there. I usually lose myself for an afternoon in there. It is however, best enjoyed on a winter's day as they have a roaring log fire and you can enjoy a coffee [30p] and barter biccie [55p.]

I_love_coffee

Registered
Reaction score
I love going to Barter Books in Alnwick [second-hand.] I get a lot of my history books from there. I usually lose myself for an afternoon in there. It is however, best enjoyed on a winter's day as they have a roaring log fire and you can enjoy a coffee [30p] and barter biccie [55p.]

nice! sounds like my kind of place!

I_love_coffee

Registered
Reaction score
I grew up visiting a Walden Books that was only a few blocks from my house. Bookstores (and libraries) hold a special place in my heart. When I walk into one, it feels like Christmas, it feels like dreams, it feels like discovery and exploration.

* good description, exactly how i feel **

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
just hit the library. You can leave with a HUGE bag of books for FREE. I wander around the library and have discoved tons of great books just from browsing
I did this on Saturday. While I was there I spotted a book (Arcadia) that I'd just dropped $26 on at Charmichael's not a month ago. It was worth it though.

I also came home with a pile of books.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There used to be a small used book store at the end of my street. I stopped by there more times coming home from work to browse and find great books. When it was closing I asked if she would consider selling and she said no, other than me only 3 or 4 people ever stopped by so there was no money to be made.

Now all we have is B&N which is a long way from here.

Not only do I miss bookstores, I miss small independent book stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.