'Write drunk; edit sober' - Hemingway

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Line editing may be similar to crunching numbers, but dealing with re-writes, tone, pacing, flow, plot issues, and polishing characterization, to name a few, require just as much creativity as writing the rough draft. I contend it requires more since this is where the rough stone is cut to show its facets, and polished to allow all of those facets to shine. I find this aspect of editing to be much more cerebral And creative than laying down a rough draft because this is where we have to come up with the best possible solutions for all of the story issues. And this is where we take the story to the next level of quality.

IDGS

@LeaveItToIan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.iandgsandusky.com
This cropped up in another thread of mine so I thought it would be an interesting discussion point.

Do you ever use any thing that puts you 'under the influence' to write?

For me alcohol or sleep deprivation sometimes brings out a much more passionate writer (sometimes for the best).

Any stories/tips for opening up that third eye?

Oh god, I got shitkicked in an almost identical thread a couple of years ago for this topic - brave of you!

Yeah, I write drunk. I always figure I can pull out whatever doesn't work when I sober up - but I very rarely cut anything in truth.

I'm of the opinion that if it works - and it's not hard drugs - go for it. However, if you can't possibly write without it, you're just putting a roadblock in your way to getting things done. You can't booze up in the morning if you need to get some writing finished before work - just another reason to procrastinate in my opinion.

Do you, whatever that may be. Just be responsible and mature about it.

Coop720

Registered
Reaction score
I did some drunk editing the other night using the 'changes' function on Word.

It was nay good haha

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I've written drunk, sure. And as others have said, a few times when I was stuck, a drink or two helped--not because it's so great to write drunk, but because it quiets the internal editor. But it's not something I'd recommend on a regular basis. And only one or two; when the words start swimming you're in trouble. I find the difference between "gentle buzz that loosens you up to write" and "too drunk to coherently write" is too small.

I was working on a project with my CP once, and had myself a gay old time writing it, and sent it across. The next day I got an email saying, "Uh...were you drunk when you wrote this? It's full of typos." :)

Arthea

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.createliveblog.com
Arg, I've tried this and it is a no go for me. It's like my characters are all suddenly drunk and suddenly I wake up and my writing is too stupid to be taken seriously. I get so excited to move on that I end up with things like "Arthea thinks James is a prick and ditches out, Anse can go screw himself anyway."

What does that even mean? Maybe I'm just having one too many drinks...

Either way, definitely in with the second part of Hemmy's quote. Edit sober. Yes please.

Status
Not open for further replies.