Movies adapted into a novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I'll probably never watch it, myself, simply because I don't care much for Tom Cruise. All I ever get from watching him is 'I'm Tom Cruise and I'm in this movie'.

Ditto.

And I don't think I've ever read a novelization of a film.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've read maybe a dozen novelizations, and a few of them were quite good. I always wondered if the authors had more time or latitude or what.

The two which come to mind are Target, by Stephen Hunter, a find action novelist in his own right, giving more life to the plot than Gene Hackman and Matt Dillon did as a dysfunctional father-son duo who must work together to rescue the mother of their family.

The other is E.T.: The Extraterrestrial, by Melissa Mathison, who was also the screenwriter. She put in a whole lot more background which I found fascinating, no doubt material which didn't make it to the screen.

I can't remember any of the others, which tells you how good they were.

Maryn, who used to have more time for reading, before this silly writing business

luxisufeili

Aspiring to be non-rejected
Registered
Reaction score
I just read something about Snow White and the Huntsman getting novelized... I doubt it'd be a very well-developed book. Might read it.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I remember watching Bram Stoker's Dracula, then being totally confused that the novelization to Bram Stoker's Dracula was by Fred Saberhagen.

Quite a few people were hoping they would get Fred Saberhagen to write the novelization of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, just so they could have the sell line on the cover: Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, by the author of Bram Stoker's Dracula.

CJ.Wolfe

Close your eyes and jump
Registered
Reaction score
I read Eragon, Pride and Prejudice, and Sense and Sensibility after I saw the movies, and that didn't bother me... so probably. As long as it's interesting enough to catch my attention I'll read whatever. I tend to prefer books to movies no matter which order I watch them in. So if I see a movie and I like it, discover it has a book, I'll more than likely read the book because I know I'll enjoy it even more than I enjoyed the movie.

I'm about to read I Am Legend after seeing the movie (with the understanding that it is vastly different).

I know all these examples are books that were turned into movies, but I imagine the reverse would work just as well for me so long as the writing was done well.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
The strange thing about I Am Legend's most recent incarnation was that watching it, I kept wondering what people were complaining about. Then the end came. Ah hah!

Fanatic_Dreamer

Daydreaming Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer novels before movies, however it's also a double-edged sword because I have a very intense imagination and I tend to get disappointed when things are different than I had originally envisioned.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Would you read a novel that was written after the movie has been released even by a couple years.

Or do you prefer if the novel was released before the movie?

I've found that novelisations of movies usually aren't that good, so I tend to avoid them at all costs. That said, there aren't too many of them, so that's not too hard.

On the flip side of that, I loved the novelisation of the Resident Evil games.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, that reminds me, the worst novelisation I ever ran across was Tom Clancy's SSN. It's incredibly dull and pointless.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Alan Dean Foster has practically made an entire career out of movie novelizations.

I knew several other very talented authors who have novelizations on their resumes. Considering the deadlines handed down for these books, I'd wager it takes more talent and discipline to produce these books than some folks realize.

Arisa

Registered
Reaction score
I personally prefer reading the novel first, before watching the movie...

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
I knew several other very talented authors who have novelizations on their resumes. Considering the deadlines handed down for these books, I'd wager it takes more talent and discipline to produce these books than some folks realize.

Oh, I wouldn't doubt that for a minute. Given what Uncle Jim said about that deadline and the material the author has to work with I'm absolutely certain there's a fair amount of talent and hard work in the effort.

In point if fact, I've quite liked most of ADF's novelizations. He did an excellent, highly readable job with The Thing (1982 version), Splinter Of The Mind's Eye (one of the first Star Wars novels), and many others. I'm kind of a fan actually.

AuthorInProgress...

Registered
Reaction score
I like books that have been made into films but normally the books are always way better. but I really like the Twilight adaptions

warofthesparks

I know what happened to Baby Jane.
Registered
Reaction score
I have a copy of Batman and Robin around here somewhere. Sadly, the book is not always better than the movie.

CJ.Wolfe

Close your eyes and jump
Registered
Reaction score
I have a copy of Batman and Robin around here somewhere. Sadly, the book is not always better than the movie.

I like the tv series Roswell much better than the books. And I read most of the books first. Granted, that's the only case in which I liked the tv/movie adaption better.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
When I was young enough to not have a properly developed critical facility I devoured the Aliens novelisation on a holiday to France. I hadn't yet seen the film.

I dare not revisit the book. The film is brilliant, of course, and the book would only have nostalgia value for me. I have no doubt it's pretty poor.

In general, I tend not to like novelisations. They aren't very good. I'm OK with tie-in novels - some are decent, most aren't - but not novelisations. However, if a film was a book before it was a film, I might pick up the book if I didn't read it before I saw the film.

Jonathan Dalar

Science fiction, horror and fantasy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jonathandalar.blogspot.com
With novelizations the author is hired by the copyright holder (the production company or whoever) and the novelization is part of the advertising campaign for the movie. When novelizations come out from commercial publishers recall that the publisher is also being paid by the movie company to publish the book; it's guaranteed money for them. Anything that the book might earn above that is gravy.

This is why novelizations are really, really good! I mean, come on! How many people don't want to know the book was written to squeeze a bunch more cash out of the same project, rather than, you know, being someone's beloved story they tinkered with until it was just perfect.

In case that soggy wad of sarcasm missed, I'll put it another way: Novelizations are usually a bunch of bunk.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
This is why novelizations are really, really good! I mean, come on! How many people don't want to know the book was written to squeeze a bunch more cash out of the same project, rather than, you know, being someone's beloved story they tinkered with until it was just perfect.

In case that soggy wad of sarcasm missed, I'll put it another way: Novelizations are usually a bunch of bunk.

God forbid the publisher or the AUTHOR who takes the for-hire job wants to make money. None of have any bills to pay... :sarcasm

GFanthome

At the computer, opening a vein
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
I prefer films based on books. I tend to find that books written the other way around aren't written as well.

Me too.

I will often go see a movie, not realizing it was previously a novel, and then go back and read the book, which I more often than not prefer to the movie.

Also, I'm much like other posters (and probably most of the population) who prefer the book to the movie adaptation. I suspect this is due to the fact that a) many scenes have to be cut out in the interest of time, b) the director usually imposes his/her own ideas on what he/she read, and/or the author didn't have a contract that allowed him/her to have a say in how the movie was cast and directed. Often the director's imagination of the story and characters doesn't match my own.

Dylan Hayes

Registered
Reaction score
I prefer films based on books. Whichever comes first, I know the story and the ending before the other comes out, but if the book comes first, I can still look forward to seeing how the movie will depict the events and the characters. A novelization doesn't usually have anything new to offer me.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
There are also YA novelisations. Melvin Burgess did Billy Elliott, for example. I've also seen a novelisation of Kidulthood - it's astonishingly short, really a novel than a full-length novel.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I don't care much for Tom Cruise. All I ever get from watching him is 'I'm Tom Cruise and I'm in this movie'.

I would posit that perhaps you've not seen the right Tom Cruise movies - but I am equally sceptical about Reacher. Anyway, a bit OT so I'll not go on.

I don't really see the point of novelisations, but in a recent conversation about books read as a kid a lot of my friends said they'd read novelisations. Anything that gets people reading can't be all bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.