Words that drive you crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

maplesyruped

Believer of magic
Registered
Reaction score
Loose for lose and all the variations. You're all a bunch of loosers!

Alright makes my eye twitch.

Yes! This bugs me so much!

As for a word I refuse to use: smirk. I have no real explanation for this, I just don't like it! I think it makes a sentence weak. Does anyone else think so or is it just me?

LAgrunion

not to be taken seriously
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"I could care less."

Yeah, that's an irritating one. It doesn't even make sense. :Shrug:

Although I see/hear it a lot now. I'm afraid it's only a matter of time before it becomes accepted usage.

I'd add:

"To wit"

"Per se" (when overused)

On the other hand, I try not to get too worked up about wrong usage. I already get agitated about too many things in life. Trying to be more zen. Language evolves. It's merely a symbol of meaning. So if the meaning is clear, then I'm okay with it.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Where are you at?

Well, I would think that's more of a (regional) colloquialism than poor usage. I think so, though am not sure.

Hereabouts we say, where are you?

In the Westcountry (the far south west of England), you will hear people asking "Where's it to?" for "Where is it?"

Heard one on the radio this morning that bugged the hell out of me - "I'm'a" for "I'm going to". Urgh.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Whilst irritates me for some reason. And seconding the vote for degrees of unique. Shudder.

fiendish

nightwriter
Registered
Reaction score
'toward' is North American English

'towards' is UK English

Their meaning and usage is, otherwise, identical and interchangeable.

So whilst 'towards' probably sounds horrible and wrong to many Americans, 'toward' always sounds wrong to me ;)

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
I see the "loose" for "lose" mistake all the time and its like fingernails on a blackboard! I'm mystified about how it originated!
Well, 'lose' rhymes with 'choose', which looks like 'loose'.

'Lose' looks like 'close', but rhymes with 'clues'.

Last edited:

gp101

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And "supposably." Kill me now.

You'd be shocked how many people use that "word" in my area. I cringe each time, but am not rude enough to correct them... until they piss me off for some other reason.

My really, REALLY, big, going-postal word is... "really?" followed closely by "seriously?" when either is used as an exclamation to replace "are you kidding me!" which is also causing more hair than I'd care to admit to unnecessarily fall from my dome.

I mean, really? Really??

It was cute at first, but is now so overused it's worse than the fingernails on the chalkboard to me (if you don't know what a chalkboard is, I feel old). I blame a lot of its overuse on my favorite sitcom "Modern Family". Love that show but one of the characters has a habit of dropping "really?" almost every episode, and now every female I know uses it fragrantly.

Another nitpick is when politicians or news commentators use "look" or "listen" when they're answering a question and need to change topics or add further explanation. Check it out for yourselves... watch any national news broadcast with talking heads and/or politicians and you will hear them use "look" or "listen" when they want to get a point across. Don't know why they do it, but it irks me.

Also not a fan of "moving forward" or "going forward". Seems like folks, especially on the telly, enjoy using those terms to make themselves sound smarter? Deeper? Not sure exactly why, but it bugs the holy hell out of me.

One final abomination comes from essays, columns, and other "serious" writing. The word "Indeed". The writer makes a comment or observation then starts or ends a sentence with "Indeed" as a supposably clinching modifier. Do we not get the inference without that word?

Indeed, we do.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Indeed.

"Moving forward" is classic business speak. My company is full of it - we have so much, we have a list of terms we're not allowed to use any more.

Must be off though, I need to prioritise my actions to ensure I don't run out of bandwidth.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
It was cute at first, but is now so overused it's worse than the fingernails on the chalkboard to me (if you don't know what a chalkboard is, I feel old). I blame a lot of its overuse on my favorite sitcom "Modern Family". Love that show but one of the characters has a habit of dropping "really?" almost every episode, and now every female I know uses it fragrantly.

Bolding mine - deliberate, or just a typo?

It's inevitable in threads like these, of course. As soon as we start criticizing other people's misuse, we do something strange on our own!

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Indeed.

"Moving forward" is classic business speak. My company is full of it - we have so much, we have a list of terms we're not allowed to use any more.

Must be off though, I need to prioritise my actions to ensure I don't run out of bandwidth.
Oh, let's not get into business-speak. That's a whole new paradigm shift.

TheWordsmith

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I know. It still bugs me. I just think it's a lot clearer if quote is the verb and quotation is the noun. (After all, thread is about words that drive you crazy, which doesn't necessarily have to be words used incorrectly.)

;)
You betcha! I've got words like that as well. Not necessarily incorrect words, or even used improperly, just ... well, they drive me crazy!

TheWordsmith

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Another incredibly stupid statement for the Department of Redundancy Department is "continue on". Now, since the definition of continue means to go on, one could argue that this is one magnificent redundancy, as in,
"I had to complete the first task before I could go on and on to the next."

MMcDonald64

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Yes! This bugs me so much!

As for a word I refuse to use: smirk. I have no real explanation for this, I just don't like it! I think it makes a sentence weak. Does anyone else think so or is it just me?

I also hate this word! When a character smirks, I instantly hate them so it better be the bad guy smirking and not the hero. What bugs me is the person I beta read for uses the word a lot. I mentioned it to her before and the image it inspires is of a smug arrogant person, but apparently it doesn't have the same impact on her because her main characters smirk all the time. Drives me nuts.

RJLeahy

Banned
Reaction score
Not a word per se, but the expression, "You want my opinion?"

Because it takes every fiber of my being not to shout: No.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
My top ten:

1. dude
2. dude
3. dude
4. dude
5. dude
6. dude
7. dude
8. dude
9. dude
10. whatever

caw

When I get bitchy at work about an email someone sent me, my reaction is often, "Dude." It's kind of a plea to the person to stop being a jackass even though they can't see me or hear me (I'd never do it to their face). "Dude. Are you effing with me? Dude." Then my eye twitches and I bang out a passive-aggressive response. This is my life.

To answer the question of the thread: "irregardless". And "disinterested"/"uninterested" used the wrong way. And any big word that the person using it has no business using.

Status
Not open for further replies.