How long did it take you to finish your first novel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoLoLu

Registered
Reaction score
Actual writing of the first draft? One month for 70k words. I'm currently on month 5 of revision and restructuring as I move towards potential e-publishing. It's taxing on my low attention span but I think learning how to be patient is worth it. The end result will no doubt be better for it.

So, I'm not entirely certain how long I should consider the writing process. If changing single paragraphs, lines and words count to the total, I'll probably end up at a year. If it's just writing out the draft in one go, a month.

Troyen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The above posts have confirmed my experience: there are two ways to write a novel and the time differences are immense.

Thank you for acknowledging that there is more than one way to write. I would put it this way. Writing is an art and stories are a gift. And as long as the story is alive in the writer's heart and mind, what comes out on the page will not be stale.

Zeallie

Registered
Reaction score
hmm first draft 3 or 4 days, lots of caffeine and very little sleep working through editing and rewriting now and its been 9 months but i let it sit untouched roughly 6 months before I was willing to even open the document.

savagelilies

'til the end of time
Registered
Reaction score
The first draft: two and a half years, most of it completed in one month.

The second draft? A year and a half later, I started working on it... now I've been working on it for about a month. I just can't let go of this one.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
For the first draft of Apocalypse Girl, around a year. That's with months of being frozen on it, months of hatred for it and finally a mad dash to the end. In hours, maybe 400?

It's trunked now, and in a few books time I will return and see if it can be salvaged.

Grunkins

Grand adventurer of the couch
Registered
Reaction score
The first draft of my first novel took about four months of writing daily.

thorjansen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thesentinelsson.blogspot.com
It's interesting to read all the answers here. But I think that new writers should take the answers with a grain of salt. If your output isn't as high as others you've seen here, that doesn't automatically mean that you are a bad writer. We're all different and there are many ways to get something done. Writing is not a race.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
The above posts have confirmed my experience: there are two ways to write a novel and the time differences are immense. One way, my favourite, is to go at it hell for leather and not stop until it's finished. You live and breathe the characters and the plot and write whole great chunks in your head as you walk the dog and do the washing up. The actual writing bit then is simply a question of how much typing you can do before the RSI really kicks in and/or you need to go to the toilet. To write like this I think you have to write at least 2,000 words per day and more like 4,000 is better. I wrote a 100k word novel this way in about 5 weeks. Sounds quick, but actually the writing itself probably only took a couple of hours per day. Of course now I need to hide it away for a couple of months so it's completely out of my head when I go back to edit it.

The other way is to take your time- to write slowly and carefully, weighing and editing each word as you go. I can't do it like this, though I admire people who can. One of the reasons I can't do it like this is the same reason I can't read a book too slowly- because I would lose track of character and plot and so forth and have to keep going back to remind myself. And then each time I went back I'd notice something I didn't like and would have to edit it. So then I'd wonder if that still worked with something I'd written before so I'd have to go back and edit that and, yes, I can imagine how it could easily end up taking years.

Me, I wouldn't have the patience though.

Oddly enough, btw, I wrote a blog post on this a while back.

I don't really write in either of these ways, but pretty much right in the middle. I don't think about my stories at all when I'm not actually writing. I have too many other things I enjoy doing, and I do them one at a time. I don't live and breath the stories, and I don't plot at all, even when I'm actively writing.

I write "fast", which really has nothing to do with word count, but with how long it takes to actually finish a project from the day you start it. Finishing fast does not mean I can't also take my time. I weigh and edit each word, each sentence, and primarily, each page, as I go, and rewrite anything that needs it before moving on to the next page.

This does not have to mean slow writing, if by writing you mean how long it takes to finish and hand in a project. Only five words per minute, two hours per day, gives you a full length novel in six months.

When not under deadline, I write five hours per day, five days per week, and I average more than five words per minutes. I have plenty of time to weigh each word and sentence, to edit and rewrite as I go, and still produce work at a pretty fast rate .

It's pretty tough to take years to finish anyting, if you're actually putting in the hours writing. I believe E. L. Doctorow got it exactly right when he said, "Planning to write is not writing. Outlining, researching, talking to people about what you're doing, none of that is writing. Writing is writing."

ralf58

shhh, I'm writing
Registered
Reaction score
This is going to sound absurd, but . . . sixteen years. My first draft was 1,187 pages. Then I rewrote it and got it down to 750 some pages. Then I rewrote it and got it under 400. Then I shopped it around for awhile and finally stuck it in the filing cabinet.

But I was learning all the time, so I don't consider it a wasted experience.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
The first-born is always a problem. It's been underway about four years. Since writing it, I've finished and published several others. I had the first one sold to two small publishers at different times, but we didn't come to terms. Since then I keep re-editing and fixing it. An editor looked it over in the past month and made some suggestions, so I'm still polishing, whacking it up, adding and moving scenes.

All of which means it wasn't as ready to submit as I thought, even though it had sold.

Comes a time you have to declare victory and retreat.

Last edited:

catband1

Lindsay
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rainydaywriters.blogspot.com
My first one took about two months to write, two years to edit, second and third each took a month for the first draft to be finished. However I'm writing one right now that I am really passionate about and have been jotting down ideas for it over the last 12 years. This year I hope to finally have some thing to show, and it might even make sense!

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
37 days. 55K words. It wasn't awful, but it was somewhat formulaic.

This is not a prescription, just a simple answer to the question. :)

mrsvalkyrie

Hounds of Justice
Registered
Reaction score
Website
realmoffear.wordpress.com
Ugh, I'm still working on my first novel, so I can't give the amount of time it will take me to complete it. However, I can say that I work best under pressure, so I have set a deadline for myself (the only time I can stick to personal deadlines is when it has to do with writing) and I have stopped procrastinating. I've been at it seriously only since about two months ago (although I had a couple chapters written out and some plot done from when the idea first popped into my head about six years ago.) The turning point for me-- what really got me to get off my ass-- was when a close (screenwriter) friend and I were talking about writing back when I was going through my phase of 'life sucks' and 'I'm not going to do shit forever' and he said that he thought maybe I wasn't 'cut out' to be a writer. Well, hell, screw you, buddy. ;-) It snapped me out of my funk and I got back to it. As I mentioned in another thread, the reason it took me so long to get back up on the horse, so to speak, was because I was afraid of the rejections that might (will) come. When I faced it and realized that it didn't matter-- what mattered was doing what I love-- the words came back to me. And I've been writing every day since.

And hell will freeze before I miss my deadline. This book will be finished.

Evaine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeinhay.blogspot.com
For me it was ten years before the absolutely final, never to be changed again, version. Mind you, in that time I also wrote two sequels and another story set in the same universe, plus short stories, improving all the time.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I've been working on my first serious attempt at a novel for a little over a year, and it's just about ready to send out to beta readers. I'm hoping it will be ready to submit in a few months. I've written or started and abandoned a few stories in this time and have outlined and written a few scenes for a couple of other novels, but I've been mostly focused on this novel.

The hardest part will be knowing when I've gotten it as good as it can be and force myself to let it go and start a completely new project. I've gotten amazingly attached to these characters and story.

JasonChirevas

Registered
Reaction score
From first keystroke through beta readers, my first novel took about two years. Pitched it for about a year, got close at one agency, then let it go. It wasn't quite profession grade, and it wasn't what I wanted to do. It was what I thought I was supposed to do.

Looking back, I made so many mistakes and, in many ways, purposely handicapped myself for the sake of, what, experimentation? Fitting a profile? Denying what's really inside me, driving me to write?

As you might expect, it was quite a learning experience. I'm glad I wrote the book, but I understand, and, frankly, appreciate, why it wasn't published.

Onwards and upwards. Won't take two years again.

-Jason

AndreaGS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andreagstewart.com
It took me two years to finish the 140k draft of my first book. It was a learning experience, definitely. I sort of fumbled my way through it. I sent it out to about 40 agencies, got a couple full requests, then rejects, and ended up trunking it after realizing it needed a lot of work and just wasn't up to par.

It took me three months to finish the 140k draft of my second book, from outline to The End. I learned a lot from the first one, especially about goal-setting, breaking goals into chunks, and making daily progress.

About finished with the 85K draft of my third book. I did most of the work on it while revising the prior one, so it took a little longer.

eward

Registered
Reaction score
Website
openpresencenow.com
Took me about six months. I used Nanowrimo to write a lot of it -- I had about 20k when I started and finished it a few days before the end of Nanowrimo with like 76k or something. I tried to revise it and stuff, but it wasn't very good. I mean, I loved the characters and everything, but the plot was all over the place and the villains were so one-dimensional. But I was still proud of myself because it was probably the thousandth story I'd started and the first that I'd finished (of ones that were not fanfic ;)).

Mykall

Registered
Reaction score
Seven months to finish the first draft. Who knows how long to actually get it cleaned up...

ManOfTongues

Coffee, please.
Registered
Reaction score
My *first* novel took me 6 years to write a first draft. In my defence, I took a three year break after writing 40,000 words because I wasn't feeling it :p However, my second, which ironically was completed first, took me 18 months.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It's interesting to read all the answers here. But I think that new writers should take the answers with a grain of salt. If your output isn't as high as others you've seen here, that doesn't automatically mean that you are a bad writer. We're all different and there are many ways to get something done. Writing is not a race.
Why? Does saying you've written a novel quickly make it any less true?

And every time this subject is raised in a thread, someone says writing is not a race. No-one's saying it is. But if you ask me, or any other writer, how long it takes to write a book, we'll tell you. We shouldn't be expected to keep our answers quiet in case we make new writers feel bad. If someone can write a book in a few weeks, so be it.

As for me, I wrote my first novel in five and a half months, with one of those months being completely writing-free, so can I say four and a half? 148k words, and I edited it down to 85k in a fortnight, then sold it to the first publisher I sent it to. Take that with a grain of salt if you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.