Ever Choose A Theme Song For Your Novel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
I often find choosing a theme song for a novel, even if there's only one lyric that sets the tone, sometimes helps me keep the original idea focused.

My current WIPS have the following theme songs,

New Divide by Linkin Park
The Only One by Evanescence

I'd like to hear if anyone else uses this sort of memory enhancer and what your theme songs are if you have them.

CQuinlan

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have one song. I'd love to but I always end up with at least ten songs for each character. I listen to the playlists while writing.

Jonathan Dalar

Science fiction, horror and fantasy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jonathandalar.blogspot.com
Song? How about a whole soundtrack?

I do that with most of my work. It helps to set the mood, pacing, and style, and hearing the music instantly triggers memories of the story, allowing me to focus on it better.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
How about a whole soundtrack?

Heh... This ^

And I'm writing themes for a few of my characters, along with a bunch of other original music to use... Somehow.

The padded room and a nice jacket which ties at the back is a distinct possibility in my future.

Kayley

Someday.
Registered
Reaction score
It's not really a theme song, but this perfectly describes the perspective of my MC regarding a potential LI:

Sara Bareilles - King of Anything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR7-AUmiNcA

He's a prince from her world who came to the human world with the objective of convincing her to join his side. He believes that she's being used by the co-leader of the rebel organization she runs, hence the "I'm not drowning" portion (he's trying to save her from something that she doesn't want to be saved from.) In this process, he's often overbearing and tells her how she should act (requests that she vehemently ignores ;).) All she wants is to live her own life and have her voice be heard. The "delusional sunset" part is representative of his belief that if she joins his side it will end the feud between the royals and the rebels.

My favorite parts, though, are major spoilers, so I'll refrain from discussing them. Just know that this song perfectly describes her views of him, apart from a spoiler that makes some of the lyrics amusingly ironic. I honestly laugh out loud every time I hear them. :D

amschilling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amschilling.com
I always do a new playlist for a new work, something that fits the mood. Somehow I always find a song that fits each MC rather than the book itself, though.

My current favorite match-up is "Ain't No Rest for the Wicked" by Cage the Elephant, for my troublemaker, Fasher. That and "Little Talks" by Of Monsters and Men for him and my MC/narrator, Del.

@Kayley: LOL. I would love to read a book that had that song for a character. It says soooooo much about them!

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
I tend to listen to several songs that represent a novel, but yeah. I usually find a few that stick out to me.

For Distant Horizon, it was "Brave New World" by Styx.

For the second book, it'd be "These are the Times" by Styx, "New World Man" by Rush, or "Darkness" by Blackmore's Night.

I found the song I thought captured the mood of book three just last night... "The Garden" by Rush. Found it right after writing up the synopsis, so I was a happy camper.

:)

Locke

Lost the instruction manual
Registered
Reaction score
The idea won't leave me alone has it's song. I have an entire playlist set up for it, and keep adding to that as the ideas come, but the final scene--the "end credits"--has been set from the beginning. "Oh Lately It's So Quiet" by Ok Go. It really fits the mood and theme in very unexpected ways.

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
I had Avenues by Whiskeytown playing on repeat when I wrote the first draft of one of my WIPs. The play count on my itunes is currently at 1213 for that song. One of the last verses became my epigraph for it.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm another soundtrack person, but I do usually have a theme song or two for each novel too. Sometimes it's the inspiration, but sometimes not.

For Love Sucks, the theme song is "Broken Heart" by Motion City Soundtrack. For "Fireflies," it's... "Fireflies" by Owl City.

For the books I'm working on now, Taylor-Made is "Coin-Operated Boy" by Dresden Dolls (not the inspiration song, btw. That was "Tailor Made" by Colbie Caillat). The Trouble books are "Trouble is a Friend" by Lenka.

ArachnePhobia

Registered
Reaction score
When I was writing the novel I'm currently subbing and was having trouble getting into the sort of mood I was trying to create (that happens when you start writing your horror novel on Halloween and still find yourself working on it in the cheery bright springtime), I'd close the curtains and put The Cure's "Lullaby" on loop. The extended version from the remix album. It helped. Plus, it's a great song.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
No, I don't. I've never really thought about it. Starting a novel based on a song could be an interesting premise, though. Maybe I'll try that sometime.

victoriakmartin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriakmartin.com
I don't have one for my novel WIP (though I actually think trying to find one or two might be interesting and help me get more psyched up to write it). I do however have a series of short stories in the works that are all directly inspired by songs.

Rain Gnome

Two Thumbs Up
Registered
Reaction score
For a story I wrote about a dying town with a carnival that comes around to re-enliven it, only to make everything worse, I tried like hell to capture the spirit of the song Tunnel of Love by Dire Straits. With a sprinkling of Mark Knopfler's album The Ragpicker's Dream added in.

I never thought about it, but if someday I edit it and get it published I would give some kind of credit or thanks.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I had a couple of albums on the go while writing The Red Girl: Portishead's first album and Infernal Love by Therapy? were probably the main two. 'Set didn't have a soundtrack throughout, but I did find the nearer I got to the end, the more often I listened to a particular Moby track: God Moving Over The Face of the Waters.

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
Haha, yeah, I'm another soundtrack person. My current novel's title comes from a song, and it's definitely the theme song-- it fits period as well as mood (it's a novel set in the past). I have a playlist of songs from the time period as well, to get me into the right mindset, but the actual "soundtrack" is totally random. Songs from Sondheim musicals, Mumford and Sons, Once... stuff from my collection that I feel really fits a particular moment or feeling.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Never, ever listen to Metallica while writing. Otherwise you end up like Stephen King and write Maximum Overdrive. :)

There's a book "I'm going to live my life like a Jimmy Buffett song" that comes to mind. It wasn't that good. I kind of don't think books that have a song base tend to work, but I haven't read them all.

For me, I have sounds in the background. I'm not able to work with silence, but it could range from Miley Cyrus to Led Zepplin. I often tend to have CNN playing.

Jeff

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
I don't know why, precisely, but I find myself somewhat surprised at the large response. I grew up as a musician (keyboards for 12 years) and I know a large number of writers also play musical instruments, but I'm kind of surprised so many of you also have songs or even entire soundtracks for your stories and characters.

In my case, the theme song says something about the story I'm writing, but doesn't generally, tell the story. The story is not about the song in other words. For example, New Divide by Linkin Park has a certain portion that talks about two people looking across what seems like a great divide between them. In my WIP the divide is between where the main character is in the "now" and where he used to be and where he wants to go in the future. It's kind of a story about a hero who lost his way and badly needs to come back and make a difference when his leadership is desperately needed.

Likewise, The Only One by Evanescence has a lyric in it that I relate to a character who's been a hero before and got tired of constantly being the hero. Now, after years in involuntary retirement (enforced by a mind wipe) he's sought out by those who need him to remember who and what he once was. He's caught in a dilemma as he really is "the only one" in this case.

I'm sure others would see the music differently, but that's part of the beauty of music.

I listened to a classical station while writing my first novel btw, so I'm not just a rock fan.

thepicpic

May or may not be a potato.
Registered
Reaction score
I listen to music whenever I write, but I don't really have a particular soundtrack or song for a work. However, I do tend to vary the type of music depending on which genre I'm working on. With my fantasy project, it's the likes of Nightwish and (more prominently) Epica.

That said though, one of my characters has her own set of songs where the lyrics practically seeem to be written about her, so I guess she's got her own soundtrack of sorts.

Coop720

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if any of you guys do it, but I always reference songs/tracks in my texts almost subconsciously and like to add that little bit of intertextuality!

In my current novel, there's a battle scene, and the soldiers use the chant 'Tonight! Tonight! Tonight!' from the song 'On a Saturday' by Four Year Strong. I just like using little nods like that to pay tribute to my influences.

Status
Not open for further replies.