UK all time bestsellers list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cambridge

Registered
Reaction score
.... who also cooks quick meals! No Lee childs, Patricia Cornwell, John Grisham or George RR Martin. Extraordinary.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
.... who also cooks quick meals! No Lee childs, Patricia Cornwell, John Grisham or George RR Martin. Extraordinary.

I quite proud of that list: To Kill A Mockingbird, Chocolat and The Shadow of the Wind. We're quite the literary types after all. ;)

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
And all the way down at 65 is the first book worth reading.

CQuinlan

Registered
Reaction score
Meh.
Some of them I like, some of them I don't. I doubt any two people would come up with identical lists.
There is no accounting for taste.

alexaherself

Wordsmith and shoechick
Registered
Reaction score
And all the way down at 65 is the first book worth reading.

Oooh, controversial. I think there are actually three or four that are worth reading before you get to number 65. and maybe even one or two more than that, just allowing for some I haven't read to be worth reading too (though I have my doubts about that, to be honest).

Pinguicha

Has the cutest cat in the world!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pinguicha.wordpress.com
Oooh, controversial. I think there are actually three or four that are worth reading before you get to number 65. and maybe even one or two more than that, just allowing for some I haven't read to be worth reading too (though I have my doubts about that, to be honest).

I agree. I think the Harry Potter books are worth reading (I absolutely loved them when I was younger), The Very Hungry Caterpillar is awesome, Life of Pi was good and so was the whole His Dark Materials Trilogy. I liked Chocolat and Memoirs of a Geisha as well.

TudorRose

not napping... brainstorming!
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting. Thanks for posting, Elsie.

A few of the titles demonstrate the power of the Richard & Judy book club, I think.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I only come here to be controversial. It's my thing.

*starts munching a caterpillar book*

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
I find it funny how there's a sharp decline in readership from the first Twilight book to the last Twilight book. Like, huge. Same with the Fifty Shades. Whereas the last HP book sold better than the first, but only by a couple thousand. I guess quality is important in writing.

So much justice.

Reaction score
The best thing about this thread is Elsie Tanner's username.

Ey up, chuck!

I_love_coffee

that's what it's all about....
Registered
Reaction score
not that horrible of a list..some decent books made it on there, mockingbird, about a boy, harry potter..I bet the US list is worse!

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
That's strange, I thought it was really creative and a brilliant catalyst for my reading when I was younger.

Why is it strange that someone else should react differently? I don't find it strange that you enjoyed the book. It sold well and a lot of people have recommended it to me.

Rob Lopez

New Skin; Learning About Thick Fish
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting to note, if the figures are correct, that most of them are quite recent publications (if 'all time' really does mean, 'all time').

Has there been an explosion of reading in the past couple of decades?

Do 21st century best sellers really sell more than, say, 70's and 80's best sellers?

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I suppose the chances of the figures being correct are marginally higher than if it were the Daily Mail. The Graudin provides a nice spreadsheet but doesn't seem to source it at all. And yeah, the oldest book being (apparently) from 1989 does make the whole thing a tad suspect.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
To be fair, the internet and media are the reason that bestsellers are more recent publications. I wouldn't say that there's an explosion of reading or that anything is suspect. People are just more informed about their purchases and news spreads quickly through social media.

Status
Not open for further replies.