Best book titles and covers you've seen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lidiya

Skimming galaxies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.themacaw.wordpress.com
I was reading through the thread about book titles a while ago... and came to everyone's fave book titles are... And then I thought about covers!

I've seen a lot of awesome covers...and then some not so good ones (plain, grainy covers with boring beige text). I don't know about you, but I love smooth covers...

So, what are the best book covers you've ever seen? What about titles?

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
<-----------------

:D

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
A few covers that I've always really liked:

51J9D25ZMGL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

url

url

url

As far as some titles that I like:

The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test
One Flew Over The Cukoo's Nest
Brief Interviews With Hideous Men
A Year In The Merde
Of Human Bondage
The World According To Garp

Schnitzel

il terzo paradiso : inner peace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theinkymuse.livejournal.com
Oh, this is a fun thread!

Some of my favorite covers aren't necessarily from books I've read, but they're certainly ones that have captivated me enough to make me buy the book (apologies in advance for the long post!):

prospero-lost.jpg

To-read
Brightly-Woven.jpg

To-read; there's something about it, the fairytale like quality, that enraptures me
371510.jpg

To-read; this one and its prequel below have particularly stunning covers
tarr.jpg

To-read
swamplandia.jpg

To-read; this cover is just so well-done
blood-meridian%2BCover.jpg

I'm most partial to this edition, since I feel it represents the novel best, but others do just as good a job
Great+House.jpg

Fantastic cover *and* title; unfortunately I left my copy in Manhattan and have to wait until fall semester to finish it
lord-of-the-rings-book-cover.jpg

Majestic and beautiful--a favorite cover of mine
La+fille+de+braises.jpg

Though I've no interest in reading The Girl of Fire and Thorns, it's French cover is striking
1ASabriel_Book_Cover.jpg

Certainly among the best epic fantasy covers of all time
goldencompass2.jpg

And easily my favorite by a large margin, the classic TGC cover--not to mention its American title, which for once is an improvement on the original, I think.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
This title really caught my eye recently, more so than the cover (though it's a nice cover, too.) Happily, the book lived up to the packaging! It was great!

51rZwWvy1lL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

luxisufeili

Aspiring to be non-rejected
Registered
Reaction score
Love the colors.

415px-Paranormalcy_White.jpg

Love simplicity, too.

Hoot_cover.jpg

victoriakmartin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriakmartin.com
I sadly have to admit that as far as covers go, I think the Twilight series has some of the best out there (the original editions, not the movie tie-ins). They are just very beautiful books. The same can be said of 50 Shades of Grey (and I love that title, though the subsequent titles are terrible).

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookewyrme.straydreamers.com
I have a lot of book-covers that I really like, but my favorites from books I've been reading most recently are these, I think.

bittersweet.jpg

sidebar_pretend.jpg

The first one is just so brilliantly evocative of the whole book. And the second one has a taxidermied mouse dressed as Hamlet on it...what's not to like?!

Six Alaric

The terror, the terror
Registered
Reaction score
kh7Hw.jpg

I love this cover. It does a lot with just two colours: I particularly like the gun hidden between the figures.

FloridianWriter

Registered
Reaction score
These ones are nice but for me they just look too much like the Hunger Games covers, which I'm believe came first (could definitely be wrong about that).
Really? I don't really see that much of a resemblance. The first book looks like the movie edition cover, but I think Divergent was out a year or so before the movie was released.

DarthPanda

All hopped up on goofballs.
Registered
Reaction score
It's not released yet, but best cover ever...

51j8ZUDq4FL.jpg

I've bought more copies of the JDatE than I care to think about... and already pre-ordered 2 of this one (one kindle, one for the Shelf of Awesome). For anybody into horror/comedy, I cannot recommend the first book enough. It had a great cover too, actually...

victoriakmartin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriakmartin.com
Really? I don't really see that much of a resemblance. The first book looks like the movie edition cover, but I think Divergent was out a year or so before the movie was released.

The movie edition and the original cover aren't really that different, though with the fire I'll admit the movie one does look more like the Divergent covers. But it's still a big, circular logo that is the main image:

the-hunger-games-book-cover_425x425.jpg

I've seen more similar covers but I would be shocked if the Divergent books weren't at least somewhat trying to make it look close.

Nick Rolynd

50% Dark, 50% Snark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
knitewrites.wordpress.com
I've seen more similar covers but I would be shocked if the Divergent books weren't at least somewhat trying to make it look close.

I find that YA covers tend to follow trends. The Divergent covers are a combination of the circular logo and the city-scape fads that have been going around. However, that they follow a trend doesn't disqualify them from being cool covers in my opinion. I personally like 'em. At least they didn't go the "black background" route that seems to pervade YA bookshelves these days. =P

FloridianWriter

Registered
Reaction score
The movie edition and the original cover aren't really that different, though with the fire I'll admit the movie one does look more like the Divergent covers. But it's still a big, circular logo that is the main image:

Well, the circular logos are similar, but I do like the Divergent covers better than the Hunger games. I like the coloring of them better.

TNK

Registered
Reaction score
I love the cover for Marissa Meyer's Cinder.

x5w9z4.jpg

It's a pretty awesome book too. :D

Lidiya

Skimming galaxies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I forgot to add ones I like...I found these awesome ones!
thepsychopathtest.jpg

^^ Ooohhh...

And this one...
jamrachsmenagerie.jpg

I also really like smooth covers with bright colors -- something I can run my hand over.

As for titles... I've always like 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy'. It's so clever!

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
...and then some not so good ones (plain, grainy covers with boring beige text).

... shows how taste varies. This kind is among my fav. Suits my personality. Sigh.

Lots of nice new book covers as well. Many posted right here on this site. I enjoy viewing them.

With titles, I like Jean Craighead George's. Her YA titles often have names of animals. Cute ^..^

"Journey to the Center of the Earth," is neat. Really grabs your attention!

Lidiya

Skimming galaxies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
... shows how taste varies. This kind is among my fav. Suits my personality. Sigh.

Lots of nice new book covers as well. Many posted right here on this site. I enjoy viewing them.

With titles, I like Jean Craighead George's. Her YA titles often have names of animals. Cute ^..^

"Journey to the Center of the Earth," is neat. Really grabs your attention!

Well, the covers of boring ones aren't as colorful, but sometimes the book is good. For example, I've read more books with boring covers that have good stories inside than books with amazing covers with amazing novels.

SeanCordernay

Registered
Reaction score
The Grapes of Wrath is the first to come to mind. Also, pretty much all of the Lemony Snicket books had interesting titles/covers.

Status
Not open for further replies.