Status
Not open for further replies.

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com
I'm about to undertake a rewrite of one of the novels I was working on last year. I really enjoyed the story, but I felt like it was missing something.

It is the story of a villain, but she didn't start out that way. It's not meant to be redemptive, but it is meant to show her side of the story. I initially wrote it in third person. I've decided that I'm going to write it in first. However, I really want to have fun with her, more so than I did before. I intend to write it in a Deadpool like snark/meta way. She will be very self aware that she's in a story.

I know many will say write it and see, which is exactly what I'll be doing starting tomorrow. I was just curious what people though about that sort of narration.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since I have no clue what you mean by "a Deadpool like snark/meta way," I can't comment.

When it's done well, I love understanding how the bad guy became who s/he is. Red Dragon, for instance.

Maryn, too old to get the lingo, apparently

jcwriter

Splish splash I was takin' a bath
Registered
Reaction score
I intend to write it in a Deadpool like snark/meta way. She will be very self aware that she's in a story.

Like Maryn, I have no clue what "Deadpool" etc. means. As to the MC being self aware, if that means she breaks the fourth wall and makes snide quips directly to the reader, I'd probably move on to the next book on the rack. But, it's all in the execution.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I've been annoyed by the voice of many novels that were traditionally published. Also Deadpool is a popular character that a lot of people hate. It's one of those cases where even if you do it well, you can't please everyone.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
On the other hand, breaking the fourth wall (well, obviously!) would make me want to read the book

I can think of several first person books where the narrator is well aware they are telling a story (from a later point) and so injects lots of snark and "if this were a story, oh right, it is" etc. I've done it myself (though I tried not to be too obvious about it)

But I do love me some snark :D It'll annoy some people, but if well done, will attract others imo

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
[Had to look it up--Deadpool is a Marvel character. All I could think of was the Clint Eastwood movie (Dirty Harry's last).]

To the OP: Yeah, why not? Give it a few chapters and see how it's going. If it works, continue. Sounds like it could be fun.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Do you mean that the narrator is aware that she's telling a story? This is pretty common in first person, and I wouldn't say it's even breaking the fourth wall if it makes sense for the character to be telling their story to someone in their world (say they're in prison talking to a cell mate, or is writing their confession, or something else). In the novel Traveler, the narrator (a horse, btw) was telling his story to a cat, and there were occasional breaks in the story's timeline where the horse commented on something that was happening in the "here and now" that would remind him about something else from his past.

If you literally mean that the character knows she's in a story, though, as in, it's not real at all and she is essentially an actor in a play who occasionally addresses the audience or comments on the plot (this is the part where I'm supposed to fall in love, of course), then it would only work for me if it's clearly meant to be humorous. But I tend to be the kind of person who wants to believe that the world, story and character are real for the duration of the read.

As for the voice of the character? That's never going to make everyone happy. There are some people that some of us find irritating, and that's certainly true for literary characters too.

[Had to look it up--Deadpool is a Marvel character. All I could think of was the Clint Eastwood movie (Dirty Harry's last).]

Me too. I was thinking of the Dirty Harry movie and trying to remember why it was the gold standard for snarkiness. I'm really not a comic book person, though.

Last edited:

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
My Deadpool chibi and I agree that you should go for it. Use sparingly, of course. I'm currently writing 1st Person with a snarky narrator that often points out the fact that he's in a story. He's an amalgamation of characters, one being Deadpool so.... do what you want!

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
Not as far as I am aware?

(I always equate Philadelphia with the cream cheese we get here. So not very philistiney*)

*Unless you put marmite on as well.

OMG, Marmite + Philly = best chicken sauce EVAH.

You are TOTES the Philly-stine in this thread, Seniore Shower Cap!

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com
Thanks everyone. Sorry for the Deadpool reference. I sometimes forget that not everyone is a fan of comics. Deadpool is essentially a Marvel character who frequently throws quips and snide remarks at his opponents. It isn't uncommon for one of his opponents to be taking a fight very seriously while he is joking through it. He breaks the fourth wall and often. Even when he isn't breaking the fourth wall, he narrates. Sometimes he forgets who he is talking to and will confuse his enemies.

I think the key is going to be knowing when to tone it down. I think I'll write it with all the extra spunk and snark and then tone it back in editing where necessary.

The majority of the story will be a reflection on what happened that got her to where she is. While you will know that she's nutty from the beginning, the story will show that her actions weren't always like that.

Here's a little taste of one of his breaks.
deadpool-yellow-boxes.jpg

Last edited:

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
Ahh, Deadpool. I say go for it. Write all the extra spunk to your heart's desire. You can tone it down later... *Grin.*

I'm currently working on a story in which one of the characters has a fourthwalling power. She's not snarky, but she does have an odd side to her. And when I'm narrating from her older POV, where she knows about her power, she does talk to the reader occasionally.

So... go for it. :)

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
OMG, Marmite + Philly = best chicken sauce EVAH.

You are TOTES the Philly-stine in this thread, Seniore Shower Cap!

So you guys get our cheese (I'm not from Philly, but I'm an American who often eats cream cheese), but we don't get marmite? No fair!

Wait. What is marmite? Not made out of marmots, I hope.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
1. Anything will work for a large number of readers, if it's done well enough. 2. Anything can fail completely, if it isn't done well enough. 3. The more off the wall something is, the harder it is to do it well enough.

I guess my question is, are you doing this because you think it will make a great novel, independent of any Deadpool love floating around in your head, or are you doing this simply because you are a Deadpool fan? It makes a difference.

I find Deadpool breaking that fourth wall funny, but I can't take those comics seriously, and for me, there's no way in hell I'd read all the way through a novel with such a character reminding me that I'm just reading a novel. That's the last thing I want a character to do, ever, for any reason. But that's just me.

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
marmite/cheese derail

So you guys get our cheese (I'm not from Philly, but I'm an American who often eats cream cheese), but we don't get marmite? No fair!

Wait. What is marmite? Not made out of marmots, I hope.

Not marmots, no, yeast extract. It's advert campaign is "Love it or hate it". There can be only one no middle ground. Hence the British phrase "It's a marmite job" about something that is very polarising.

It is also phenomenal on fried bread. *drooools*. I may have to try mixing with philly for chicken....

end marmite/philly derail

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
So the Uk equivalent of Vegemite, and probably one of those acquired taste things. I've been over there a few times, but if I ate any, I've forgotten. :)
marmite/cheese derail

Not marmots, no, yeast extract. It's advert campaign is "Love it or hate it". There can be only one no middle ground. Hence the British phrase "It's a marmite job" about something that is very polarising.

It is also phenomenal on fried bread. *drooools*. I may have to try mixing with philly for chicken....

end marmite/philly derail

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
I think of The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy when I think of snarky main characters who are aware they're in a story. I love the show, but in books it can be hard to pull off unless you're doing it in a fairly humorous way. I think of Mary Tyler Moore:

Suzanne: Do you like my dress. I made it myself.

Mary: I'm surprised you were able to find enough fabric.

People can be mean, but clever humor can make a nasty comment into a funny one. Having supporting characters, especially for comic relief can help balance the snark. It depends on how it's done, it can work, but I've seen many people fail at this, so be careful.

Last edited:

Locke

Lost the instruction manual
Registered
Reaction score
I don't read comics (small exception made for Sandman, and I'm a big fan of the MCU, or Marvel Cinematic Universe for you uncultured heathens), but I knew who Deadpool was.

I also don't often put vile and appallingly expensive spreads in my mouth, and I knew what vegemite and marmite were.

You guys need to come out of your writey-caves more often. :Lecture:

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Vile?

VILE?

PHILISTINE!

That's why you get charged so much :D

I think of The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy when I think of snarky main characters who are aware they're in a story. I love the show, but in books it can be hard to pull off unless you're doing it in a fairly humorous way.

I think it does work better in humour, but it could be pulled off in a more serious work. I've got an example on the tip of my brain but I can't recall it....

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I love Deadpool, and love snarky meta stuff, so I say GO GO GO!

It won't be the kind of story that'll please everyone, but the people who love it will REALLY love it. Like Deadpool himself, it'll be strongly divisive, and that's not something to be afraid of.

Status
Not open for further replies.