XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with that title. Sadly, I have entirely fallen out of the comics world, though I'm never unhappy about recommendations.

Kingdom Come was, in many ways, a "slippery slope" title - people started using the imagery and stylistic tics in that series without understanding why they were so effective. Much the same deal as with the crap which attempted to cash in on the "mature" storytelling of Watchmen (ignoring storytelling basics and using sex and violence being, ironically, the least mature kind of comic imaginable). You have to read it, if only to understand where so much of what was to come was gaining inspiration from, and notice the influences in it.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of SYW, would anyone be interested in a summer prompts challenge? I'd like at least 5 folks to commit before starting a thread.

For those who dont know, we would offer a bunch of one to two word prompts, and a special challenge as well. The list would be reduced to about 4/month. Participants would then write stories using one or more prompts, +/- the special challenge in about 1-2k words. Participants would crit each other, and get feedback from other SYW folks.

Example 1- http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212614

2- http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176070 (smibble apoxyclips in this one ;) )

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
I've often compared being a writer to being an alcoholic. There are times when I just wish I could put the pen down and do something else. This is one of those times. It's too hard, it too damaging to the ego and the confidence. Please God, let me just walk away. But I can't.

Some sage advice from Neil Gaiman, which I'm using to nurse my own wounds since I'm recovering from how much work my query needs.

1. Write.
2. Put one word after another. Find the right word, put it down.
3. Finish what you’re writing. Whatever you have to do to finish it, finish it.
4. Put it aside. Read it pretending you’ve never read it before. Show it to friends whose opinion you respect and who like the kind of thing that this is.
5. Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong.
6. Fix it. Remember that, sooner or later, before it ever reaches perfection, you will have to let it go and move on and start to write the next thing. Perfection is like chasing the horizon. Keep moving.
7. Laugh at your own jokes.
8. The main rule of writing is that if you do it with enough assurance and confidence, you’re allowed to do whatever you like. (That may be a rule for life as well as for writing. But it’s definitely true for writing.) So write your story as it needs to be written. Write it honestly, and tell it as best you can. I’m not sure that there are any other rules. Not ones that matter.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*raises hand* I'm in. I can go round up others as well if you want. :D

If you like. I'm being lazy and figuring if I get five from the chat thread, I'll certainly get others.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Participants would then write stories using one or more prompts, +/- the special challenge in about 1-2k words.

Hahaha! I can't *sneeze* in less than 2k.

It might be a good challenge, that way. I can't commit until I know what's going on with my house situation, though. Which, since I've brought it up, requires me to leave at least one :gaah: here. I'm actually drinking coffee, that's how stressed this is making me.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Look at length as a suggestion, not a hard and fast rule - nobody is going to get overly upset if you run a thousand words long.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of SYW, would anyone be interested in a summer prompts challenge? I'd like at least 5 folks to commit before starting a thread.

For those who dont know, we would offer a bunch of one to two word prompts, and a special challenge as well. The list would be reduced to about 4/month. Participants would then write stories using one or more prompts, +/- the special challenge in about 1-2k words. Participants would crit each other, and get feedback from other SYW folks.

2- http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176070 (smibble apoxyclips in this one ;) )

I'm game. Sounds like fun.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score

I like the idea but for some reason when I click on your links it wants a password.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I havent been logged out of Syw in too long. Serenity? Citrus? Bob? Someone help. Vista? I think its Vista.

And hugs Zanzjan.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
I havent been logged out of Syw in too long. Serenity? Citrus? Bob? Someone help. Vista? I think its Vista.

And hugs Zanzjan.

It is vista, you are correct.

Hugs to Zanz.

gotta rush, hot choc to make, oh and Shoeless, I got your message, but I am still running about doing stuff so I'll answer it in the next couple of hours, honest. Stop nursing those wounds though, you're good. Just remember that!

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Ok Fen count me in! I so need something like this to jump start my writing.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay, lots of sign ups :)

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love the idea of the prompts... but I'm still sitting on the March Horror prompt. Least I think it was March. Maybe it was February. Whichever the zombie history one was.

And my summer is likely shot until August, more or less.

But I shall cheer.

:e2cheer:

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Sorry, Fen, I got too much work to do. I mean, too much of books to edit.

I think I may have finally found where I belong. Gothic romance - heavier on the gothic than the romance. I mean, the romance is totally there, but the gothic part and the story around the main mc is more important. It's my favorite thing to read... it might be my favorite thing to write. I just hope all my research and use of historical reference is correct. I like being able to inject teh horror, teh fantasy, and teh carriages... :) That, or this editing going so well is just a huge sign of how lost I am in my own crap.

Therefore, Zan, I am so with you. (even tho I feel pretty awesome right now, a crash is just around the corner)

also, house smells like onion. Hope I didn't put too much onion in the crocket... er... C.R.O.C.K.P.O.T.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, Fen, I got too much work to do. I mean, too much of books to edit.

I think I may have finally found where I belong. Gothic romance - heavier on the gothic than the romance. I mean, the romance is totally there, but the gothic part and the story around the main mc is more important. It's my favorite thing to read... it might be my favorite thing to write. I just hope all my research and use of historical reference is correct. I like being able to inject teh horror, teh fantasy, and teh carriages... :) That, or this editing going so well is just a huge sign of how lost I am in my own crap.

Are you looking for a beta reader? I'm sure you would LOVE to have a sympathetic beta, who has a secret penchant for such things. And, if you can't find anybody else, I SUPPOSE..... If you really wanted .... I could find it in my heart to volunteer.... If you need one.

Oh, quit dancing, Junely. SEND ME THE MS and I won't be forced to hunt you down and tackle you for it!

:D

Debio

Back from the land of the dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I have a question. I'm a bit afraid to ask it. They* might be watching.

This may be a cultural thing, or it just may be my personal experience.

I realized the other night that I hadn't hit my funny bone in years, I hadn't seen anyone do it in years either. When was the last time you did it, or saw someone do it?

I seem to remember it happening fairly frequently when I was younger. I'm hoping that either my ability to notice things like this has deteriorated or I have just forgotten. I worry however that the universe has changed in some fundamental way...this is leading to story idea.

*I will at some point describe who they are, but I fear them.

**I could not find a smiley that would appropriately convey fake paranoia. I think I got the rambling stream of consciousness done okay, but without a smiley I think I'll get recommendations for meds.

Status
Not open for further replies.