Music discovery

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I've been enjoying the freegal (http://www.freegal.com) music download and streaming service from my local library system.

The library licenses freegal (like they do ebook providers) to allow patrons to sign in and stream three hours of music a day, and download 3 tracks/songs a week.

Freegal has a lot of music; pretty much all of the Sony catalog and a lot of others, including small indie labels.

I have a lot of music of my own, but I've noticed that I'm doing a lot of "discovery" listening, or "browsing" via streaming services like Pandora and iTunes radio.

I don't listen to the radio much inside; there are various reception problems, and it's especially frustrating in terms of music. So I'm not hearing "new" to me/new to the world music the way I used to. Instead, I'm listening to pre-built streaming "stations" and checking out artists that friends mention.

Just browsing Freegal via the alphabetic artist lists brought Anäis Mitchell and Jeffery Hamer's Child Ballads to my attention.

How are you discovering new artists/songs etc.?

What's caught your ear lately?

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I mostly listen to Pandora. I used to listen to Sirius and I enjoyed that, but my radio broke and I've yet to replace it. Sirius used to (maybe still does) have a lot shows djed by people like Bob Dylan and Tom Petty, Little Steven Van Zandt and Nancy Sinatra, and I really enjoyed listening to what they enjoy listening to. If you couldn't have guessed, their tastes are eclectic, and Bob Dylan for eg (not surprisingly) is a music encyclopedia and turned me on to lots of stuff I wasn't aware of, Mississippi John Hurt for example.

Listening to Pandora of course you have more control over what you hear because your prompting the playlist, but because my little speaker (Big Jambox) is usually in a different room than my laptop, I often don't know whom I'm listening to. I have found some new (to me anyway) artists on Pandora, and I've probably more often found stuff by people I'd been aware of but hadn't heard that particular thing before. I've gained more respect for example for artists like Sade, Aliyah, Boz Scaggs, Diana Krall, Sting, Shelly Berg Trio, etc. Sometimes I hear something and have to go in search of my laptop to find out who the artist is. There are times when it's no one I'd ever heard of- next time that happens, I'll try to link them on this thread.

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
Almost all the new stuff I discovered in the last two years or so came via Bandcamp. It's a service directed at artists, and it's up to them how much they allow.

Mostly, you can stream everything for free and if you like it, buy straight from the streaming page, either as a download or, if they have it, as CD, Vinyl or tape, whatever they have. Some musicians there are really creative about packaging. Like, The All-Abouts' Suburban Heart comes with a PDF comic book, or Dirk Darmstaedter's latest album ships with an extra EP. (Dirk isn't a new discovery, actually. I found a lot of old favorites there, too.)

Feel free to browse my collection for pointers, or just browse the site by genre.

They host spoken word stuff there, too. I've been thinking of hosting the audio commentary to my first comic album there and enable album sales through it. But mostly for the hosting.

An older service similar to Bandcamp is Jamendo. I prefer Bancamp because the Jamendo player keeps playing albums on auto-repeat if you don't tend to it all the time - very annoying. Better genrebrowsing, though.

For my more mainstream explorations, I use Deezer, which is pretty much the French equivalent of Spotify, the site that made Taylor Swift so angry recently because they don't pay artists much. (She fell for a common fallacy there, much like David Byrne and a lot of other people before her: Compared to record sales, the pay sucks, but it was never supposed to replace record sales. It's an alternative to illegal downloading. And it pays somewhat like radio airplay, except one stream doesn't go out to thousands of listeners, just one, so the fee for it is much smaller.) But I don't browse much there. It's where I go to check out new stuff I'm already aware of.

Spotify's free plan comes with unlimited streaming, but you get very annoying advertisments between songs. Deezer's free plan allows for two hours a month, but at least that's ad-free.

Last edited:

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I use Soundcloud quite a bit. I use Youtube to discover older acts, although it can get sparser the more obscure you get (trying to find more than one track of Patti Schmidt's band Pest 5000 is disappointing.) I like Soundcloud and Mixcloud because they have a specialty in electronic music (a given since they were started by Berlin artists.)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We often listen to Band of the Day, where we discovered the magnificent, bluesy Selwyn Birchwood. Try Don't Call No Ambulance.

And he's young, so we have many more years to enjoy what he's doing. We missed it when he played a club here, but maybe next time.

Maryn, who likes blues

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
This is a couple years old, but I don't think I've ever heard this great song sung with more feeling. In memoriam of a friend's death, as it turns out, so there you go. I won't try to spell this guy's name, let along pronounce it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BM_JMacdfA

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love Spotify and use it to check out new stuff (and new-to-me stuff) all the time. I have a couple of online groups of like-minded music fans who know my tastes and suggest stuff I might like. A person who does this for me IRL is my guitar teacher (he introduced me to Nick Drake *faints*).

The newest thing in heavy rotation with me is The Amazing's new album, Picture You. Check this out.